Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Door locks Hmmmmmm

Door locks Hmmmmmm

Well I have a strange situation I haven't seen before. My passenger door is stuck locked. I can't use the key (won't turn far enough), lift the door lock latch, use the normal opening handle or use my remote. Window still works.

I haven't dug into it since I don't know where to start... How can I get inside the door with the door being shut and locked????
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

So wait, you can't open the door from the outside or the inside? I had the problem where the little plastic piece snapped and I could not open the door from the outside, but could from the inside and I was able to pull the panel off and fix it with a zip tie.

Bart

Correct, I can't open from either side lol

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaVX View Post
    Correct, I can't open from either side lol
    Damn, that sucks. So, no matter what you do with the power locks you can't get either side to engage and free up either latch? Hmmmm. Sounds like that rod in there came off or something else totally broke.

Now, if you are VERY careful, you might be able to remove (with some slight bending) the trim from the inside. You have to take off the grab handle and the door latch but it is just held on with some x-mas tree fasteners.

I guess worst case scenario you would need to forcefully remove the inner trim from the inside and get it replaced.

Do you hear any clicking when you flip the locks on and off? I wonder if it could be electrical???

I can't think of what else to do! Maybe a slim jim to get the door opened so you can remove the trim?

Bart

Floating down the river is starting to catch up to you!
    Hey now, I have only had the water reach the door locks like 3-5 times.

No sound from passenger side when flipping electric lock switch.

nfpgasmask, thats the only way I see doing it as of right now. I don't see a slim jim working since I can't even pull the inside lock up. Any other ideas?

Hey now, I have only had the water reach the door locks like 3-5 times.

No sound from passenger side when flipping electric lock switch.

nfpgasmask, thats the only way I see doing it as of right now. I don't see a slim jim working since I can't even pull the inside lock up. Any other ideas?
    You mean a SlimJim or removing the panel by force?

I'd try to jimmy it 1st, destroy it 2nd. Call a lock shop, they should be able to get it open for you so you can work on it.

Bart

Removing it by force from inside after removing the passenger seat and hoping it will flex enough to pass the door pillar and let me get my skinny arms in there.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    you arent gonna be able to do that....its gonna break if you try to remove it with the door shut...

i would honestly pull apart the window/lock mechanism and see if you can send the motor power to get it to unlock...i believe that if our motor looses power it wont allow the mechanism to move at all...check your fuses (i know it sounds dumb, but its worth a try)...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Try removing the armrest (the part with the switches and checking the connector or....

....you can just keep the window down and do it Dukes of Hazard style!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

"I'd try to jimmy it 1st, destroy it 2nd. Call a lock shop, they should be able to get it open for you so you can work on it."

X2

You could even stop by your local police office (state or local). They have a lot of experience getting into locked cars.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

It was the electric lock, but for the life of me I can't remember which piece broke (solenoid stuck locked maybe?), I brought it to a shop and they somehow got in there and took the part out (for cheap I may add, took less than an hour) now I have a manual locking passenger door.

Just thought I would put some closure to this thread.

Thanks man - now I can sleep!

Well, this gives me hope.

The previous owner had already installed the SBC window brackets, but the driver's side window still kept binding and getting extremely crooked while rolling up. It was so bad that I took off the door panel because I was convinced that the window was no longer attached to the bracket. It was fine so I shot a little silicone lube into the channels and the window immediately worked perfectly. I put the interior panel back on and shut the door. "#$@&!" ("Darn!") In the process I obviously did something really, really bad to the door release linkage and now the door won't open from either side. I'm sure I can figure it out, I just need enough time when it's not 250 degrees in the shade or 300 degrees in the garage.

Grrrrr, still kicking myself for not trying the easy fix first. Oh well, that's my luck.

It was the electric lock, but for the life of me I can't remember which piece broke (solenoid stuck locked maybe?), I brought it to a shop and they somehow got in there and took the part out (for cheap I may add, took less than an hour) now I have a manual locking passenger door.

Just thought I would put some closure to this thread.
    I am having the same problem. The lock will not unlock, with the key, by hand or by the remote. It's just stuck. Wish I knew what they did to get in there.
    RichD
    ------------------------------------------------
    ...because vinyl just sounds better!

More door lock info in this thread.