Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Roofrack

I'm lookin for a new safari roof rack system for the VX and I'm lookin for some input from all of you. First, what size would fit well on the VX and look best? secondly, what brand is good/bad/easy/difficult?. . . Wilderness, Kargo master, Surco safari, etc.

I'm looking to mount lights, spare tire, ax/shovel, high lift jack, gas/water cans, snow board, mountain bikes, etc. so I'd absolutely LOVE if you guys could post pics and descriptions of your racks(for your VX roof, lol).

Thanks in advance for your time and help. I know I'm a Noob, but you guys have been so helpful to me already.

Bobby

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    superstang-
    ive got a black widow roof rack. with 2 snowboard racks, lights and a *new hi-lift*
    works great, its strong, its low profile so it doesnt create a lot of wind resistance...and is similar enough to thule and yakima racks that parts are readily available...and i paid about $150 for it

ill post pictures tonight (work computer wont let me), or feel free to look through my gallery
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

I've been looking at roof racks in depth just this week...surfing the many galleries here...takes some time to do the searching, but there's tons of pics! Most are either the Thule Xpedition 696 (large) or 695 (small), or the Yakima Load Warrier

Check out the galleries of these VXrs...this should keep you busy a while:
    JAFO
    MSHARDEMAN
    SPAZZ
    taylorRitchie
    LDub
    KiethVXlvr
    nocturnalVX
    kpaske
    TEN36VX
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Roof rack??? Not for me. Roof racks cause too much air-drag which results in poor MPG. A better solution is to remove the worthless backseat, and stow all of your gear inside the cargo area. Sleek and smooth makes the VX a happy VX, instead of a wind-catcher with a roof rack.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Roof rack??? Not for me. Roof racks cause too much air-drag which results in poor MPG. A better solution is to remove the worthless backseat, and stow all of your gear inside the cargo area. Sleek and smooth makes the VX a happy VX, instead of a wind-catcher with a roof rack.
    you gonna store 4 snowboards, a full size spare, a hi-lift, and 3 friends in your VX with no back seat??

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    you gonna store 4 snowboards, a full size spare, a hi-lift, and 3 friends in your VX with no back seat??
    My three(3) "knuckle-dragger" friends with their silly snowboards can follow behind me in their own frickin' rig!!!

My three(3) "knuckle-dragger" friends with their silly snowboards can follow behind me in their own frickin' rig!!!

LOL

Period

I got my racks from this guy in MN which i'm not quit sure was even a member,he contacted me first so i believe he was just a lurker,then got another set from IDGAF27 in NJ, gues i was lucky to own two sets of racks,thereafter sold one of the sets to MDwyer.

I add some roof lights which i use in the city,but once i hit on the highway i get them off.

I've never been a roof basket fan,however for 4wheeling is a must to carry one.
    Last edited by Gussie2000 : 07/18/2009 at 04:35 AM
    Dakar was just the begining.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    But to REALLY get that mileage up there, you need some lightweight, low unsprung weight, 2 ply bicycle tires...

T-J off...

OK; Ldub, that's it-- PISTOLS AT NOON!!!

(love ya' man)

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    OK; Ldub, that's it-- PISTOLS AT NOON!!!

(love ya' man)
    ............ ......

What size safari racks do you guys have? I'm lookin at a Surco 5" 40x50 but not sure if I should push it and go bigger. Any thoughts from guys who have one and wish they went bigger/smaller? Thanks again for the help

heres a shot of the yakima load warrior on my vx.. its 39" wide, 44" long 6.5" high.. then the light rack i made for it sticks another 4 inches or so past it

i've always liked this setup, its what my VX is modeled on / going to be I love the rack

Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

etlsport,
    Thank you so much for that side shot of your rack...wow that sounds perverted, lol.

If yours is 39x44 I think the 40x50 I'm lookin at would be perfect for me as it would go from the rear wing to the back edge of the door or so, plus I will be adding lights as well. That is exactly what I needed to see. thank you again for the visual aid

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    I've been looking at roof racks in depth just this week...surfing the many galleries here...takes some time to do the searching, but there's tons of pics! Most are either the Thule Xpedition 696 (large) or 695 (small), or the Yakima Load Warrior
    UPDATE....got the Yakima Load Warrior rack, fits great, looks great, glad I got it! Got the spare tire carrier as well so I can carry a full size spare up top when needed. Thanks to all who answered my many questions and gave me input!

and here you can see Nikki the mini Aussie plastered against the car window desperately looking out at her "daddy" (taking the pic).....one could say she's a "daddy's girl"...
    Last edited by VX KAT : 08/06/2009 at 05:33 PM