Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 15 16 17 18 19

Thread: Custom Bumper Project

As a wise man said recently:
    "What has been seen cannot be unseen".
    Spooky that it now appllies twice in the last few pages of this thread
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have a Sith sense....I see Darth people...

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Marlinstein Approach:

Need Statement (I want it) - Development Specification (mental image) - Try it - fix it - Try it - fix it - Try it - fix it - Try it - fix it - Try it - fix it - Try it - fix it - Try it - fix it - Try it - fix it - ...
    Very true statement. As for Bart's planning, designing and blah blah blah, that is definitely not my style. I am more of a doer...obviously. It has also givin me something to do for the last few months on the weekend mornings before the family is up and about. Basically, from 0630 to 0930, I play in the garage with my toys. Then its off to the aquarium or whatever with the wife and kids.
    As for raping my VX, I did not modify the VX itself, so if it really had to go back to stock, it could, so more of a molestation than a rape. I would have to fab some brackets for a few things that were rusted beyond repair...no biggie.

This whole project started after seeing the junk factory tube crumble when I went to replace my horn.
    I had access to the materials for free (tubing) so figured, why not.

I picked up the gasket material for the lights on the way home from Day of Caring volunteer event I worked on. The bedliner is done. So I should be able to finish the barbaric raping device before lunch. I will make a video at night of the lights.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Very true statement. As for Bart's planning, designing and blah blah blah, that is definitely not my style. I am more of a doer...obviously.
    In the past I did a lot of things like this. My mom always told me when I was a kid, "Haste Makes Waste". And I believe she was right. Sure, we all get impatient from time to time, and mess up somehow and have to re-do it. But I guess for me, its the scale. When doing something of this magnitude, I try that much harder to have a solid design and execution plan. As with most good projects, the longest and most important stage is the planning stage.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    In the past I did a lot of things like this. My mom always told me when I was a kid, "Haste Makes Waste". And I believe she was right. Sure, we all get impatient from time to time, and mess up somehow and have to re-do it. But I guess for me, its the scale. When doing something of this magnitude, I try that much harder to have a solid design and execution plan. As with most good projects, the longest and most important stage is the planning stage.

Bart
    I agree with you 10000%, but again, its just not me. As for scale, you make it sound like I cut my VX to pieces, I didn't really do anything to my VX, just something that is bolted on to it, no welding on the frame, no new holes...not that I haven't put enough in her already.

I agree with you 10000%, but again, its just not me. As for scale, you make it sound like I cut my VX to pieces, I didn't really do anything to my VX, just something that is bolted on to it, no welding on the frame, no new holes...not that I haven't put enough in her already.
    Maybe just go ahead and put your front cladding back on and we can all just forget this ever happened and move on.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Maybe just go ahead and put your front cladding back on and we can all just forget this ever happened and move on.

Bart
    Not a chance, that is one of the reasons I sold the cladding, to prevent me from having the option to quit and give up. Now I have no choice but to make it work. I am concerned about cosmetics a bit, and it will improve, as I get better at metal working. I will say metal working is much more difficult than woodworking, but a lot more gratifying...

Not a chance, that is one of the reasons I sold the cladding, to prevent me from having the option to quit and give up. Now I have no choice but to make it work. I am concerned about cosmetics a bit, and it will improve, as I get better at metal working. I will say metal working is much more difficult than woodworking, but a lot more gratifying...
    Good for you, dude! Like I said before, rock on! I'm a huge proponent of individuality and it's obvious you are too! So my hat is off to you, good sir!

Bart

I think people addicted to this thread fall in one of three categories: people really inspired by the project, those who aren't sure what they think but are curious to see what happens next (me), and those that see an awful train wreck but can't look away.

I know if I was Marlin I would have just quit posting a long time ago. I remember a guy started a thread similar to this on the G35 forum detailing his project of replacing the NA 3.5 V6 with a twin-turboed 4.5 V8. Everything went well until someone noticed he had crimped one of the turbo tubes while bending. I think the thread doubled in length in one day with all the mockery.

So lay off the hate-er-aid, grab a beer, get some popcorn, and enjoy the show!

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    I think people addicted to this thread fall in one of three categories: people really inspired by the project, those who aren't sure what they think but are curious to see what happens next (me), and those that see an awful train wreck but can't look away.

I know if I was Marlin I would have just quit posting a long time ago. I remember a guy started a thread similar to this on the G35 forum detailing his project of replacing the NA 3.5 V6 with a twin-turboed 4.5 V8. Everything went well until someone noticed he had crimped one of the turbo tubes while bending. I think the thread doubled in length in one day with all the mockery.

So lay off the hate-er-aid, grab a beer, get some popcorn, and enjoy the show!
    Thanks for the support,I will continue to post no matter what, I am a glutton for punishment. Time to get to work...