Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Weird stuff you remember from your mis-spent yoot

Did anyone besides me ever see "The Magic Christain "with Ringo star and Peter Sellers? Uncanny LMAO!
    So I said to myself, I said "Handee"
    and this voice came back and said..
    "He's not in, may we take a message?"

"I would look like Ldub's cousins"

We were already thinkin 'twin sons of different mothers'
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Here's my youth story in 1971.

I remember my friend (age 8), my brother (age 8), and myself (age 7) forming a lawn mowing service. We called it the GTX (Gary, Xavier, Tom) Lawn Mowing Company. We wrote out our business cards on index cards and put them on peoples doors. When we got our first customer, I was not allowed inside because I was not old enough to negotiate the price. My brother and friend negotiated the price for $3.00. That's mowing, raking up all the clippings (we didn't have a mower with a bag), and edging.

Needless to say, my brother an friend did not check out the backyard before settling on the $3.00 TOTAL fee. The back yard was at least a foot high. Our mower would go about a foot and stall out. It took us 4 days to finish the whole yard. I'll do the math for you. We each earned 25 cents a day for 4 days!

I did learn from that experience to keep my word. I wanted to quit so many times, but my older brother would let me. We all stuck it out. Oh yeah, our company didn't last too much after that either.

Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

Quote Originally Posted by tomdietrying View Post

I remember my friend (age 8), my brother (age 8), and myself (age 7) forming a lawn mowing service. We called it the GTX (Gary, Xavier, Tom) Lawn Mowing Company. We wrote out our business cards on index cards and put them on peoples doors. When we got our first customer, I was not allowed inside because I was not old enough to negotiate the price. My brother and friend negotiated the price for $3.00. That's mowing, raking up all the clippings (we didn't have a mower with a bag), and edging.

Needless to say, my brother an friend did not check out the backyard before settling on the $3.00 TOTAL fee. The back yard was at least a foot high. Our mower would go about a foot and stall out. It took us 4 days to finish the whole yard. I'll do the math for you. We each earned 25 cents a day for 4 days!
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/att...&d=1244920266I did learn from that experience to keep my word. I wanted to quit so many times, but my older brother would let me. We all stuck it out. Oh yeah, our company didn't last too much after that either.

Peace.
    Tom
    Oh wow, I thought you were going to say that you were one of the original founders of GTX International Lawn Mowing Co. Seriously, your brother taught you right, always keep your word. Also 25 cents a day was a lot of money when I was 7yrs. old. Of course that was 1954. Good story.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by tomdietrying View Post

I did learn from that experience to keep my word. I wanted to quit so many times, but my older brother wouldn't let me. We all stuck it out. Oh yeah, our company didn't last too much after that either.

Peace.
    Tom
    That's a great story Tom, & one of many experiences that forged you into the sterling character that I know today, and am proud to call friend!

Thanks for sharing that.
    Last edited by Ldub : 06/16/2009 at 03:47 AM

My nephew reminded me last night of one of my mis-spent yoot episodes (I'm sure twin bro has told the story so many times that nephew almost feels like he watched it happen).

It involves a baseball bat and a basketball.

Y'all can fill in the rest.

BTW, I still have the lump on my forehead.

Unhappy swing -n- a miss...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    I'd totally forgotten about click clacks (took years of therapy... ) wow, now THAT was a toy!

Crossman pellet guns, M-80's Cherry Bombs, Silver Salutes...these are a few of my favorite things...
    I TOTALLY dropped the ball the other day......

I found an original set of click clacks on ebay...and DIDN'T bid on em'.

Must be a sign of the lagging economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    I TOTALLY dropped the ball the other day......

I found an original set of click clacks on ebay...and DIDN'T bid on em'.

Must be a sign of the lagging economy.
    Haha, yeah I bought a toy on eBay the other day that was originally a toy from radio shack that I bought for my brother, now that I have it I am like...... uh this isn't as fun as it used to be, haha, but I am still glad I have it, I know what you mean though, I would probably pass on it right now.

When I was 10 years old HO scale trains were the thing. Of course I wanted one. My folks had some friends serving in Germany who had told them about Marklin trains. My folks sent them $100.00 to mail me a Marklin from Germany in time for Christmas. Well Christmas eve came and no train, my folks were in a panic as i would have no gift from santa. My dad scrambled out and got me a new Schwin, of course i was kinda confused Christmas day i got a bike and wanted a train. My folks talked to their friends in Germany and they stated the train had been sent like 2 months ahead of Christmas. (for you younger VX'rs there was no UPS or Fed-Ex) anyway, exactly one year later this package shows up right before Christmas. So that Christmas i got whatever it was i wanted and a Marklin train. The package had been like in like 15 countries and finally ended up in Okla.(no not by pony express either). I still have it. thanks for listening.

Quote Originally Posted by handeeman View Post
    When I was 10 years old HO scale trains were the thing. Of course I wanted one. My folks had some friends serving in Germany who had told them about Marklin trains. My folks sent them $100.00 to mail me a Marklin from Germany in time for Christmas. Well Christmas eve came and no train, my folks were in a panic as i would have no gift from santa. My dad scrambled out and got me a new Schwin, of course i was kinda confused Christmas day i got a bike and wanted a train. My folks talked to their friends in Germany and they stated the train had been sent like 2 months ahead of Christmas. (for you younger VX'rs there was no UPS or Fed-Ex) anyway, exactly one year later this package shows up right before Christmas. So that Christmas i got whatever it was i wanted and a Marklin train. The package had been like in like 15 countries and finally ended up in Okla.(no not by pony express either). I still have it. thanks for listening.
    That's a funny story Handee...

It reminds me of the lectric train my brother & I had as kids, smoke came out of the smokestack & everything.

The weird part is, the number on the sides of the engine is "666", I kid you not.

I still have the engine & cars packed away somewhere.

back in the day.1965.my mom droped my sister and I at the movie theater (playing was The Sound of Music)with 4 dollars.. we skipped the movie and got lots of candy instead.
    .she picked us up ..asked how it was ..we both said great .
    ...I still today have not seen that movie..hehe
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    now that I have it I am like...... uh this isn't as fun as it used to be, haha, but I am still glad I have it, I know what you mean though, I would probably pass on it right now.
    Uh-oh...don't look now, but I think you're becoming...

A GROWN-UP.........

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by don moore View Post
    ...I still today have not seen that movie..hehe
    Me niether, though I've seen so many commercials for it, & parodies of it over the years, I FEEL like I've seen it multiple times...

Same thing with Fiddler on the top of the house, or whatever it was...

How did I spend my mis-spent yoot ... wearin a bow tie. Don't worry, I've outgrown that now.

BTW, top right is me.

Talking LOL

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    BTW, top right is me.
    You can't deny...of all the kids in that pic, the little dude at the top right has the most mischievous look of the lot...

Can't imagine why...