Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Weird stuff you remember from your mis-spent yoot

Yes! I was shooting before 12,just got my OWN gun when I was 12
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

I miss my old 10/22 Ruger.
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

Missing Things

You guy's got me missing my old guns too. Sometimes I even miss my ole M-60. Usually it's when some of our Fl. drivers forget common courtesy. Been thinkin about my 1st mod being a sunroof and tripod. J/k Didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'll go put this under Mods.
    Last edited by handeeman : 05/30/2009 at 02:27 PM
    So I said to myself, I said "Handee"
    and this voice came back and said..
    "He's not in, may we take a message?"

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeBeach View Post
    I remember when seatbelts were for looks. We would all cram in the front seat while a parent drove. The dash boards were heavy steel...no padding. Parents would go into a store and leave us in the car with the cigarette lighter. It would be 95 degrees and we stayed in the car in the hot parking lot. We didn't have AC in car or at home. Only 3 channels on the TV and no remote. And forget about sunblock. We knew when we went to the beach we were going to be burnt up. And we were given jawbreakers and hard candy but never choked. And best of all the pet stores sold baby alligators. And the music, you could understand the words and the tunes are still around today. And to see a man accidently use profanity in front of a woman, he would turn red nd apologize like crazy. Where have all the good times gone???
    Oh do I hear THAT!...
    I learnt to drive in several vehicles (the first being a 47 Chev grain truck...4 on the floor with a three speed brownie OD, learned to double clutch before I found out about synchromesh), ALL with a metal dash.
    The first car I owned, had seat belts, but I wasn't wearing them the night I rolled it on a perfectly straight road, in excess of 90 mph, snapped all four ET IV's off at the lugs...
    Went to work the next day with a few scratches on my back.

There was a pet store on the way home from church/sunday school, & Mom would usually give in to our begging & stop for a while. (I'm sure the owners just LOVED seeing us coming, since we couldn't afford to actually buy anything)

They had the NASTIEST chimpanzee in there...just completely "CAGE RAGE" (peta hadn't been invented yet)
    We would dare each other to get closer to his cage, (OK, Mom didn't play that) & he'd invariably either spit water at us, or try & pee on us...can't imagine why nobody ever bought the filthy little bugger...

DAMN, I'm enjoying this WAY too much, but I've gotta get my beauty sleep...

See y'all round midnight...central time zone...

Quote Originally Posted by handeeman View Post
    You guy's got me missing my old guns too. Sometimes I even miss my ol M-60. Usually it's when some of our Fl. drivers forget common courtesy. Been thinkin about my 1st mod being a sunroof and tripod. J/k Didn't mean to hijack the thread. I'll go put this under Mods.
    There is NO such thing as a jacked thread in Dubworld...it just flows...

Did I say Ldud??? not intentional. Well I am very dissapointed that computers take longer to start up than a 19" 60s Zenith TV. I will never get over disco dying. I mean it was the perfect music. Thank goodness I have every disco song.
    What gets me is how we GUARD our children from violence yet our generation grew up on violence. All the nursery rhymes were violent. The three blind mice were cut up, when the cradle rocked the bough broke causing a baby to fall from a tree, Humpty Dumpty got busted up, London Bridge fell (imagine the cost), and that poor itsy bitsy spider.
    Then the cartoons were rabbits shooting and blowing up people and other animals. And no one knew what an anvil was used for. I thought it was made for dropping on heads. How many times can a cayote be hit by bus or train.
    I'm just sayn

I like peanut butter, but I don't like toast and jam

Did I say Ldud??? not intentional. Well I am very dissapointed that computers take longer to start up than a 19" 60s Zenith TV. I will never get over disco dying. I mean it was the perfect music. Thank goodness I have every disco song.
    What gets me is how we GUARD our children from violence yet our generation grew up on violence. All the nursery rhymes were violent. The three blind mice were cut up, when the cradle rocked the bough broke causing a baby to fall from a tree, Humpty Dumpty got busted up, London Bridge fell (imagine the cost), and that poor itsy bitsy spider.
    Then the cartoons were rabbits shooting and blowing up people and other animals. And no one knew what an anvil was used for. I thought it was made for dropping on heads. How many times can a cayote be hit by bus or train.
    I'm just sayn
    Yes SomeBeach/Dougie you did say Ldud in a past post. I kindda like it and everyone knew immediately who you were referring to. I do think from some of the stories I've heard, "Ldud" has been appropriate in the past. Especially after no sleep and several "Moonkees". Speaking of which, I may get to try my 1st "Moonkee" tonight.( I asked the wifey to pick up the stuff to make them). So If ya'll don't hear from me for a few days you'll understand. I am a rookie.
    Last edited by handeeman : 06/01/2009 at 06:20 AM

I'd have to say my favorite memory is going to the movie theater and not having a bunch of Jack-Aces talking/texting on their cell phones. Well, that and racing home from school to watch G.I. Joe and Transformer cartoons. Then going outside and playing with said G.I. Joe and Transformer action figures. Who says those were just half hour long commercials???

going out with our bb guns and playing army man ..the USA verses the gerrys or japs or RUSSIA.and everyone could see us ..and it was ok.. to play in the fields or around the houses playing in makeshift army clothes...the rules were dont shoot above the chest....and nobody freeked out ...or said we were wrong or that we would grow up being psycos...lol but I do own a VX..hmmmm
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak View Post
    I miss my old 10/22 Ruger.
    I just got one of those a few months ago! Love it!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak View Post
    Freedom!

Oh, and my Commodore 2001 PET.
    Nice! But did you have one of these?

The Vectrex really was awesome in it's day!

I should dig out all my old toy guns. I still have a bunch stored with all my other old toys. I remember the day when you could go in Toys 'R' Us and they would have a WHOLE FREAKIN' ISLE of toy guns that looked REAL! None of this orange and blue zebra striped Nerf crap either, REAL LOOKING GUNS!!!!! Man, THAT was cool.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by don moore View Post
    going out with our bb guns and playing army man ..the USA verses the gerrys or japs or RUSSIA.
    We didn't use bb guns, we pretended our baseball bats were rifle's and use to find a big grassy hill and say, Shot me with a bazooka or some crazy weapon and see who could fall the coolest. Then go to the tasty freeze and get a big *** malt for 50 cents
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

I'm just sayn
    Think of all the other terrifying violent stuff we were exposed to...Snow White, Wizard of Oz, Pinoccio, to name a few.
    I remember when I was a kid, those flying moonkees scared the CRAP outta me...I kinda like em' now...
    And when the whale ate Pinoccio?...forget about it, Mom had to take me outta the theater. Perhaps three is a little young for Disney...

I'm amazeed that I turned out this normal...I know, not even close...

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Think of all the other terrifying violent stuff we were exposed to...Snow White, Wizard of Oz, Pinoccio, to name a few.
    I remember when I was a kid, those flying moonkees scared the CRAP outta me...I kinda like em' now...
    And when the whale ate Pinoccio?...forget about it, Mom had to take me outta the theater. Perhaps three is a little young for Disney...

I'm amazeed that I turned out this normal...I know, not even close...
    Man LduB, got it right that time, I still get the creeps when I see the flying monkeys. Heck, I get the creeps when I see the Monkees TV show. How could we stand the simple weak TV shows we had to watch. The Monkees, Partridge Family (GAG), the Brady Bunch, and Gilligan's Island. To sit thru an episode of The Facts of Life and the show with Gary Coleman would kill me. And soap operas. My mom watched them andI couldn't stay in the room. An actor would say something and everyone froze til it broke off into a commercial.
    But the candy was much better back then. Like a big Sugar Daddy or the Sugar Momma which was covered with chocolate. I remember they made a sweetart type candy that was cinnamon. It was something Pepper...can't remember...but so good

I remember picking up Coke and Pepsi bottles along the road for the 2¢ deposit (the big bottles were 5¢), then walking into the local 7/11 (they were actually only open from 7 to 11) through the fully open front end, and trading those empties for a nice cold bottle (real glass) of Coke (before Classic) out of the cooler by the curb (next to the vacuum tube tester). On a really good day, I had enough to buy a banana split at the soda fountain in the drug store. On my way home I’d walk through the woods to see if I could catch an Indigo snake to take home for a pet. If I was hungry I had my choice of mangos, oranges, avocado, guavas, and some fruit that had no names, all growing wild in the woods around my house.

I actually DO remember the sixties, although there were a few nights in the early 70’s that are kinda hazy. Wonder what happened to my paisley bell bottoms and Neru jacket?
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379