Thread: Passenger seat fix - lever to swing seat forward.

Lightbulb Passenger seat fix - lever to swing seat forward.

So for the last year I was annoyed that I had to lift BOTH levers on the sides of the passenger seat to get it to tilt and slide forward to access the back seats (I don't have the back seats in so it was a low priority).

Well I pulled the seat out and tried to find out the problem. Turned out that an allen nut just needed to be tightened every so much.

Here's the pic of getting of the side plastic cover:

The thumb lever just slides off, then you poke a PIN at the top to allow a clip to compress. This PIN is a PITA. You poke it in and it falls into the abyss that is the seat back and I had to shake the seat over my head for a few minutes to get them to fall out.

Once the cover was off, all I had to do was tweak the allen bolt on the cross bar that links the two levers - works like it's supposed to now..

Here's that tricky PIN. Note that the pin acts like a wedge in the clip to keep it spread open...

Just an FYI if anyone has the same problem I did with the seat levers.

Cheers.

Well, I found the feature of the passenger seat sliding and flipping forward damn annoying so when I flip/flopped the seats because of the rub my fat *** was making on the drivers seat, I diked that cable so I didn't have to put up with it anymore!
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

good to know!.. did you happen to notice anything in there that would cause a rattle? my passenger seat rattles like nobodys business if theres nobody sitting in it

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    good to know!.. did you happen to notice anything in there that would cause a rattle? my passenger seat rattles like nobodys business if theres nobody sitting in it
    Nope, sorry

Do you have Tone's seat extenders installed? I started experiencing a high-pitched rattle shortly after I installed them, and it turns out the springs on the bottom of the seat were making contact with the extenders. Contacts passes vibrations into the smaller metal springs, and voila, high-pitched rattling.

Btw, thanks for this thread rowhard. I've had the same problem with the levers on the driver's seat (of course it doesn't slide, but I can't flip the seat forward without grabbing both handles). Looks like something to do over the weekend if I can ever find the time.

I've got the seat extenders & have never had a rattle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

My passenger seat "rattles" too, and it's mounted stock. Actually, I call mine more of a "harmonic", since it happens on the freeway under certain slightly rough road conditions. The seatback just gets ta' shakin' - not sure there's much ya' can do about it...

Your passenger seat needs both levers lifted? I ask because my passenger seat if I lift the lever to tilt it forward, it then slides where ever I need it. This works great when I am driving and need to reach in back. I can just lift the lever that is on the inside (nearest the center console). However my drivers side seat is different, I can lean it forward with the single lever, or I can slide it forward with the bar under the front, so I need to do both to get behind the drivers seat. Is this something different for different years?

My drivers seat does not slide forward when the seatback is tilted. I assumed they were all that way.

On a side note, I guess I'll have to do this fix eventually. My drivers seat will only tilt by the center lever now ... not a problem, just PITA.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    My drivers seat does not slide forward when the seatback is tilted. I assumed they were all that way.

On a side note, I guess I'll have to do this fix eventually. My drivers seat will only tilt by the center lever now ... not a problem, just PITA.
    +1 - Makes me even more thankful for installing Tone's passenger seat extenders.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    +1 - Makes me even more thankful for installing Tone's passenger seat extenders.
    Are his products still available after his untimely passing? Is someone "manning the store" these days?

Quote Originally Posted by samneil2000 View Post
    Are his products still available after his untimely passing? Is someone "manning the store" these days?
    "After the untimely passing of Tone orders are not being filled at this time"

Thanks

The fix for the passenger seat rattle is the easiest one of all! It only rattles when it's all the way back! Just move it forward a little and it's totally silent! (and fold the rear seatbacks all the way down forward to stop them from rattling). Oh and put some vaseline on the rubber bumpers that the hood sits on to stop that infernal squeaking. And wrap a hand towel around the lug wrench in the rear compartment to stop its knocking. And take the ignition key off your keyring to silence that insane jingling. You can almost make a VX as quiet as a normal car with these tips!
    Canadian VXer!