View Poll Results: Would you support an International VX Meet?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! (Only check this if you are serious)

34 50.00%
  • Maybe, sounds cool but......

29 42.65%
  • Maybe, depends on much work I would have to do.

5 7.35%
  • No! Your strokes have made you loose touch with reality!

0 0%
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: International VX Meet - Feeler Guage

Question International VX Meet - Feeler Guage

Being I have read several posts suggesting this idea (I've thought about it for a very long time), I thought I would post it up to get an idea of what kind of support and attendance we would be getting.

Moab is a wonderful place to meet but, for the non-offroaders it is a turn off. So, I propose a meet of national (international?) proportions, in a central location (So the too far to drive rationale is removed from the equation), in a place allowing for a good sized event to take place without being exorbitantly expensive and a locale that is easy to get to.

First, we have to see if there would be support (if any) for such an idea. Then we would have to see if that support would stem into actual productive planning.

So, to start, I would like to ask everyone (Even the lurkers) to reply your thoughts on this proposal. I'm only after the beginning thoughts if the support for the idea would be there, not locations or other thoughts as of yet. So, hold those for a later follow-up posting. This will not happen anytime soon as there would be a tremendous amount of planning but, am thinking with in the next 2 years?

The poll closes at the end of June - Then the next stage will start

At the very least, answer the poll so we can see what kind of numbers we would likely expect. If not enough support, the idea goes to the trash can.
    Last edited by Moncha : 05/22/2009 at 09:14 AM
    Scott / moncha.com

I'd love to meet at some central location. Of course, this is a big country so no matter where you hold it, there will be some that complain that it's too far.

I'm anxious to see where this leads.

Tom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

I say Oklahoma City.It's dead center and only 2 1/2 hours from me!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

NO locations as of yet, it will taint the interest survey

Thumbs up

I guess this is where being in Illinois comes in handy. Pretty much close to the center of the country, compared to the Coasts... I think a weekend meet where the VXers from all over the country could gather and show off their rides would be awesome! And I am not just saying this cause of the carnage . 20 VXes in Moab? Imagine what the turn out could be for an event like this. Hope it happens!
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

a weekend meet

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnalVX View Post
    I guess this is where being in Illinois comes in handy. Pretty much close to the center of the country, compared to the Coasts... I think a weekend meet where the VXers from all over the country could gather and show off their rides would be awesome! And I am not just saying this cause of the carnage . 20 VXes in Moab? Imagine what the turn out could be for an event like this. Hope it happens!

will not allow coastees to get there and spend time without taking vacation time on both ends of the weekend.

I am not suggesting Illinois as a meeting place. I was just saying that living here lends itself to fairly easy road trips (except to the PNW). Like Harness said (also in a joking manner), it's nice to be located near the middle of this big country sometimes.

Cece says... "No it's not. Well unless it's Texas." Anyone out there not aware she's not fond of Chicago?

Quote Originally Posted by Moncha View Post
    NO locations as of yet, it will taint the interest survey
    C'mon Scott, you can't expect to put up a post suggesting what could be the largest event in the history of the VX and hope that people won't kick around ideas.

I don't think we should necessarily rule out a little offroading. I know for me (and I would bet for most others in the Midwest / East) it's not the offroading, but the sheer distance, that keeps us from Moab. We're going to want to do something besides chit-chat if we're driving all that way, so some light offroading, camping, or some other outdoor activity might still be a good idea.

I'm a maybe, solely dependent upon distance. But great idea either way!

Memphis maybe?

There is an Isuzu parts place here in Cincinnati, Oh.

Not making any suggestions, just stating fact.

Maybe we need to get the member map updated and then do some plotting to see where the true central location would be.

MEMBER MAP

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Harness View Post
    I say Oklahoma City.It's dead center and only 2 1/2 hours from me!
    Yes, I'm joking. See the winking smiley face

Scott, this could be an epic VX event and even though I don't want to put any miles on Vicki I would TOTALLY drive to this (with in reason) just to be part of it. Also, I like your "No" option for the voting. Is Ed sneaking in there?

Jamas, great idea to drag the member map out. If we could get more member to sign on to it would could really get a feel for where everyone is.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

IMO, this is a great idea. HOWEVER (there's always a 'however'), a "central" location does not really change things much, imho. Its basically a 12 hour drive from Reno to Moab. I know for several folks its even longer. But I would say, for a VX meet, that is about my limit. That is why I was thinking of regional meet ups. The PCA (Porsche Club) does it this way. They have regions and regional presidents and regional schedules and all that. Now, of course the PCA is a way bigger organization, but you see what I mean. I think we have the potential to get that organized on here. And personally, I think it would be helpful (and cool) to involve the whole Isuzu crowd. That way we have more people, and more fun. That said, I know there is simply nothing like a 22 long VX line-up!

One of the things about Moab that rocks, is that it is Moab. Its a VERY attractive location, even if you are not going wheeling. If you look at a map of the US and choose a 'central' location, we are talking someplace like Oklahoma City. Now, no offense to anyone who lives there or anything, but there ain't no way I'm driving to Oklahoma for ANYTHING short of a briefcase full of enough cash that I can retire at 33.

So my vote was definitely on 'maybe'. Personally, I think we could come up with 4 different regular locations in each time zone. We could set annual dates, and hold events at those locations every year. Of course, all VXers from all areas would be welcome at all events. For a lot of us, we might be able to attend several regional events. For example, I could make Moab and the Mammoth Lakes event. Gill and CeCe could make a Louisville and Denver event, etc.

Another thing to consider (and I know a lot of you will scoff at the notion), is that many of our VXes are getting up there. I personally just 'retired' mine from being my daily driver to keep the miles off. I do not want to drive my VX to death. That is what my new Trooper is for!!

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Happy Friday!!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nocturnalVX View Post
    Cece says... "No it's not. Well unless it's Texas." Anyone out there not aware she's not fond of Chicago?
    Can you blame the girl? It's not like she came from a place WORSE than Chiacgo!

Bart