View Poll Results: Would you support an International VX Meet?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! (Only check this if you are serious)

34 50.00%
  • Maybe, sounds cool but......

29 42.65%
  • Maybe, depends on much work I would have to do.

5 7.35%
  • No! Your strokes have made you loose touch with reality!

0 0%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: International VX Meet - Feeler Guage

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    IMO, this is a great idea. HOWEVER (there's always a 'however'), a "central" location does not really change things much, imho. Its basically a 12 hour drive from Reno to Moab. I know for several folks its even longer. But I would say, for a VX meet, that is about my limit. That is why I was thinking of regional meet ups.
    yea..what Bart said.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Can you blame the girl? It's not like she came from a place WORSE than Chiacgo!

Bart
    Winter where I am from...

Winter where I am...

Why am I here again???

Don't mean to thread highjack... they started it!

But count me in for the meet. Depending on the time of year and it's location of course...
    ~*~Cece~*~

- Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.

You can look at the high mileage argument in two ways though. If we look at this as a one-time "try-to-get-as-many-people-as-possible-together" event, there's no better time to do it than ASAP because of the increasingly higher mileage on our VX's.

Otherwise, I agree that the regional set-up is the way to go, though I would argue that we're already doing that, albeit informally.

but...

I don't think I could drive my VX across country... I'm lucky moab is so close cause I don't think I'd make it there if it was 10+ hours away...

It's funny 'cause I'd probably fly out to a VX meet... but then it'd kind of defeat the purpose I almost drove my motorcycle down to Moab during the VX run, just so I could say hi... then I realized that would be kind of weird too.

I understand the regional idea and we have been doing that for years as vt_maverick pointed out. The bad point from my perspective is that very few eastcoasters get to meet westcoasters and even if the eastcoasters go to a midwest meet they will still not meet the westcoasters and vice versa. I wasn't trying to make this into an annual thing but more of a one time, say "10 year celebration of the VX" albeit not exactly. there's no harm in seeing if it could, would or should be possible. I'm the first to say I don't want to put any miles on my VX (we just went over 36k this last trip) but for a maybe one time event, if I had to I'd get it there.
    Scott / moncha.com

Thumbs up

I like the idea of a big national meet. Maybe not a yearly thing but every 5 or so??? No matter where it would be held, I can't wait to see the looks on all of the local's faces when a fleet of VehiCROSS invade their town!

Quote Originally Posted by Moncha View Post
    I understand the regional idea and we have been doing that for years as vt_maverick pointed out. The bad point from my perspective is that very few eastcoasters get to meet westcoasters and even if the eastcoasters go to a midwest meet they will still not meet the westcoasters and vice versa. I wasn't trying to make this into an annual thing but more of a one time, say "10 year celebration of the VX" albeit not exactly. there's no harm in seeing if it could, would or should be possible. I'm the first to say I don't want to put any miles on my VX (we just went over 36k this last trip) but for a maybe one time event, if I had to I'd get it there.
    Hi guys !
    I must agree on a 100 % that a meet of this magnitude do worth a couple of 2K on the odo,none of us like the idea of adding mileage on the VX including my self,but for an event like this we all can put the mileage issue behind us & do as i always say: let's just get out there.
    The ride don't have to be bored & lonely,you can catch up with other VX'ers along the way and support each other in the event of an mechanical breakdown,etc
    Dakar was just the begining.

Thumbs up

Scott, please change that heading to INTERNATIONAL MEET.

I'll drive ANY distance, the road trip is half the fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Scott, please change that heading to INTERNATIONAL MEET.

I'll drive ANY distance, the road trip is half the fun.
    Thank you !

Quote Originally Posted by Moncha View Post
    Good points, Scott. I think a global meet every 4 or 5 years would be awesome. If we do go this route, I think it would be best with an 18 month warning. I know I'm speaking for myself here, but my vacation time is shot for the year already. So for a situation like this to work well for everyone, I think scheduling it far in advance would increase the odds. I would hate to find out about something like this with only a few months to plan for it.

And back to the regional idea, true, we already kinda do this informally. But I think it would be cool to have some sort of "Moab like" meets annually in a few different areas around the country. I think meeting only once a year kinda sucks. It would be awesome if we could have some larger get-togethers 2 or 3 or 4 times a year.

Bart

Question possible dates

In the track and field world we have these types of meetings at the Olympic training center over breaks that most people already have off. Or after the competitive season is over in Cancun

What about the days between Christmas and New Years? Like Dec 31(thurs) 2009 -Jan 3(sun) 2010, or Dec 30(thurs) 2010 - Jan 2(sunday) 2011? I would say near a large city as well so we have lots of options as far as entertainment possibilities/events

id love to have a big VX showing towards the center of the country.. moab is so far away.. but every year i try to find a way.. maybe once i graduate

For a, maybe a once in a lifetime, VX event I would drive almost any distance. Moab doesn't attract me as an event because I don't like to get the VXs dusty. I live in the Kansas City area so am central to almost anywhere. For this mega-event I would drive VXI and get wifey to drive VXII. I'd have my own little convoy.

What about the possibility of some sponsorships and some media attention?

I'M IN!!!

Little regional convoys to the mother of all VX events would be pretty awesome!
    Count me in!!!!!
    Best,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have a Sith sense....I see Darth people...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    In the track and field world we have these types of meetings at the Olympic training center over breaks that most people already have off. Or after the competitive season is over in Cancun

What about the days between Christmas and New Years? Like Dec 31(thurs) 2009 -Jan 3(sun) 2010, or Dec 30(thurs) 2010 - Jan 2(sunday) 2011? I would say near a large city as well so we have lots of options as far as entertainment possibilities/events
    Gotta disagree with winter dates for sure...maybe where you live, driving long distances is fun in the middle of winter, but not where I come from...

Also, if the loca is central, winter will be in effect, negating the "looking at each others rides" portion of the program, as well as any potential for trail rides.

Another thing you may have noticed in years past...most folks are kinda BUSY around the holidays...

Other than that...COUNT ME IN!...
    Last edited by Ldub : 05/22/2009 at 10:50 PM Reason: addendum