Thread: VX Gear Box

VX Gear Box

Hey guys
    I have a question regarding the gearbox on the VX. This may sound like a daft question but how many gears does the VX have? My Isuzu Rodeo has a 4 speed auto tranny plus overdrive (makes 5 right) but on the VX (99) I can only find 4. Does it not have the overdrive? If so, how do you activate it?

Thanks

Your Rodeo only has 3 speeds and overdrive. Sorry, they usually list it as a 4 speed, with the 4th gear being overdrive. Assuming you have a 2nd gen rodeo, its the same auto tranny, the 4L30E
    Ryan Christiansen

Trooper Skid Plates, OME 912's, Stric9 Sliders, Load Warrior with extension, Apline sub in rear door, Apline front speakers, Alpine head unit, Definity Dakota MT 285/75 R16, Aussie Lockers Front and Rear, 4.77 gears and Warn Manual Hubs.http://picasaweb.google.com/RyanVehiX

Yeh sorry your right, its me that can't count. My Rodeo is a 2001.
    I think i'm getting confused with the cruse RPM, on my Rodeo the RPM seems to sit lower than on the VX. Is this because the Rodeo has a "higher" final drive ratio?
    Thanks

Yeah your rodeo has 4.10 gears in the diffs with the VX at 4.30.

Thanks, that makes sense. Don't suppose you know how to remove the roof lining? I need to remove the roof bars.

I think that removing the head liner is spelled out in the shop manual. If you don't have one I believe that you can download it from somewhere here on the site.

Take a look here for a quick how-to:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...dliner+removal
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

I'll check out the link on that thanks. I need to remove the roof bars to tidy up the paint work and I believe (although I maybe wrong) they need to be undone from the inside (underside) of the roof.
    Thanks

moto, I think that you are absolutely correct. I'm starting to get some paint bubbling (indicating rust I would guess) under the front tip of the passenger side roof rail and after lookining into how to get the rails off I found that they are held on by bolts that are under the headliner. I haven't gotten into it yet, but it seems like you DO need to remove the headliner to get to the bolts that hold the roof rails on. What a PITA.