Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: S/C Intakes

S/C Intakes

This is a thread for discussing the various intake options available for our new S/C's.

Zu4two, what kinda system do you have?

01VX's...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/sh...papass=&sort=1

Dragon Bob's

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/bldgcode/...c=ph%26.view=t

Any more?????

"The USA Is Making Enemies Faster Than We Can Kill 'Em!"

Looking at 01VX's picture it looks almost as if a straight piece of 3" tubing could be used with just a filter on the end.

I'll be making up something for mine as soon as its here.

John C.

Talking

Actually,My intake was a weapon R that I cut down to fit,there is a slight radius where it starts,this puts it right behind the headlight next to the existing air box hole.
    01VX

I'm using the pieces that came stock with the SC kit. I cut the rubber intake tube, right after the accordian folds. This then made the tube the proper length to match up with the OEM airbox, or my Calmini filter and bracket.

I wonder just how important the intake tube is, on a supercharged engine. It would seem that you could use just about anything to funnel the air into the SC, since the blower is compressing the air. I guess the less impeded air flow would be helpful when the bypass valve is open (SC bypassed) and the air is being moved just by the suction of the engine. I also noticed that the Alpine pieces are smaller in diameter, than the OEM intake. Was this intentional, to increase the velocity through the intake? Or was this just a stock piece that Alpine had already manufactured, that was adapted to our kits.

I plan to call John this week, to pose these questions to him.

Kirk

Keep us posted, Kirk. Inquiring minds want to know!

Rick
    Rick "Baxman" LaMarche
    Supercharged, Dynamated. SCCA Oregon Region rallycross class winner

Supercharger intake

I have a question about where to buy the supercharger. i've looked all over the net and i've only came upon the Alpine Supercharger by some guy or company in Texas. if you guys have any information about where and how i can find it and how much the supercharger goes for. also how many horsepower to the wheels it supplies please leave a msg at this post. or email me at Haiyeec@eden.rutgers.edu

i've had the car since it came up in '99 . . 2nd person in new jersey to get it . .but i havent done any mods yet. except for im ordering the carbon fiber dashkit soon . . . and customizing a carbon fiber hood for the middle plastic part.

thanks guys.

Originally posted by Zu4two
    I'm using the pieces that came stock with the SC kit. I cut the rubber intake tube, right after the accordian folds. This then made the tube the proper length to match up with the OEM airbox, or my Calmini filter and bracket.

Kirk
    Kirk,

Does the SC re-route the intake across the back of the engine? I thought it was going in the front of mine...

Also, why the big steel box around the filter? You don't do somethig that big without a reason....
    Steve
    '01 Kaiser Silver #1027, Chicago
    "I figure 'Overkill' is ju-u-u-ust about enough"

Re: Supercharger intake

Originally posted by hchen
    I have a question about where to buy the supercharger. i've looked all over the net and i've only came upon the Alpine Supercharger by some guy or company in Texas. if you guys have any information about where and how i can find it and how much the supercharger goes for. also how many horsepower to the wheels it supplies please leave a msg at this post. or email me at Haiyeec@eden.rutgers.edu

thanks guys.
    hchen,

The guy to order from is Tone Monday (mail to amonday@mac.com); he's probably the company in Texas you've heard about... I think he's in Austin.

Going purely from memory, I think the SC is $2,800 now.

thanks

thanks for the info. i think i've emailed him before but havent gottena reply back, but i sent another one just then.

Steve, your very observant. The intake for the supercharger is at it's rear, also to make room for the SC bypass valve (the thing thats makes this SC liveable), the air intake plenum must be positioned this way.

The "steel" box around my air filter is a cold air box. It helps shield the filter from sucking up the hot under hood air. This is especially important when you live someplace that is almost as hot as HELL in the summer! And it's not made out steel, but a corrugated plastic sheet. I've got a post about it on the Vmag board, I think you can search for "air box" or "cold air box".

I was going to wait to post to this message, until I talked with Featherfoot at Alpine, but since I never got to calling him this week, I thought I'd respond to your questions. I will post a followup after I talk to the John.

Kirk

Originally posted by Zu4two
    The "steel" box around my air filter is a cold air box. It helps shield the filter from sucking up the hot under hood air. This is especially important when you live someplace that is almost as hot as HELL in the summer! And it's not made out steel, but a corrugated plastic sheet.
    Kirk,

LOL! The picture makes it look like thick plate steel cut (badly) with a welding torch. Plastic, eh? That makes a lot more sense.

Thanks,

Steve

'01, Dragon Mica Green NO MORE, 1393 SOLD
    I used to make a cold air intake kit for the VW VR6 GTI and Jetta... and 2nd generation turbo Mitsu Eclipse. I'll look into making one for the VX if there is enough interest...?

The kits had formed Lexan heat shields. The kits didn't come with filters, but this time around, I can probably get good cone filters for the kits through work.

BTW, considering the SC... it works with regular gas right? can't bear the thought of running premium. Been there with the GTI. Not cheap! And the GTI had way better gas mileage than the VX!

Unhappy

Hey, paultvx. The last I heard was that the SC mod took Premium gas.
    I agree with your thoughts on that. I had a Land Rover Discovery that took Premium and that got expensive real quick on trips.
    VX's don't need no stinking mod's.
    But they're sure fun!

The blower will require 92 octane as do most forced induction engines. The extra go-power will be well worth the extra $4/tank!

Paul, if you design and produce a cold air box for the VX I will be among your first customers. You might post a thread to determine how much interest/demand there might be. Welcome to the board!

'01, Dragon Mica Green NO MORE, 1393 SOLD
    Yeah.. I expected it'd run 92 octane. (Aftterall, there's no such thing as free horsepower.) Wishful thinking got the better of me. You know how it goes...

Based on the pictures I saw of the SC... looks like it was designed to work with the stock airbox... it doesn't look like the MAF sensor locatiion is changed.

If I make a intake kit for a NA car, it should work with the SC... right? I'll be getting a filter through work in a week or so, once I get it I will start the prototyping work. A thread will be started for that to keep you guys informed. Keep an eye open.

Oh BTW, the kit will be quite a bit cheaper than Calmini's kit.. and that kit has no heatshield.
    Last edited by paultvx : 10/23/2002 at 12:49 PM