Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Salt Lake City Convoy

Salt Lake City Convoy

So, (hope Ldub isn't looking) that I don't have to go thru 32 pages of threads, who will be in the SLC area Sun/Mon? Just thinking of convoying, but am hoping to make the wheeling 101 class at noon, wish it was later:bgwg:
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Me and Chris aka (Marlin) will be heading down around noon on Monday. I’m working on moving my schedule around so I can leave Monday morning, I’ll know more tomorrow. Chris is staying overnight in Salt Lake that Sunday night so I think we can both leave in the morning if I can get my schedule freed up.

Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    So, (hope Ldub isn't looking) that I don't have to go thru 32 pages of threads, who will be in the SLC area Sun/Mon? Just thinking of convoying, but am hoping to make the wheeling 101 class at noon, wish it was later:bgwg:
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

All right!!! I’m free to leave Monday morning whenever you’re ready Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak View Post
    All right!!! I’m free to leave Monday morning whenever you’re ready Chris.
    It depends what time we get in to Salt Lake the night before, I would like one last night of sleeping in airconditioning before I sleep in a tent for a week after driving 40 hours or so...I will let you know on the 10th for planning purposes...see you guys in a few days.

Rowhard, Riffraff shot me an email, he warned me about you....lol.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I would like one last night of sleeping in airconditioning before I sleep in a tent for a week after driving 40 hours or so...
    FWIW Moab cools off pretty well after the sun goes down. You won't be hot in your tent. You might even be cold.
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Rowhard, Riffraff shot me an email, he warned me about you....lol.
    My buddy Brian

Anyway, we are staying at the Comfort Inn in Sandy Sunday night. The address is: 8955 Harrison St. The Phone number is: 801-255-4919.

I know you are pro's at this so probable don't need to attend the, but I am hoping to be in Moab by noon so I can sit in on Todd's 4x4 101 class. Do you plan on getting there that early??

Brian is definitely good people, even if he was a lazy officer...
    As far as getting there by noon, how far is it from Salt Lake to Moab. Somewhere around 4 hours? It all depends on how late I get in on the 10th. I wouldn't mind going either, but we shall see.

As far as being a pro, hardly, my first rock crawling was 2 weeks ago, and although I did everything the big boys did, and sometimes with much more finesse, it was mostly due to the VX, not me. Just remember, skinny pedal on the right makes you go forward, the one on the left slows you down...after that, its just point and shoot, oh, and listen to your spotter...

I’ve done a lot of off roading in my old Bronco, but not in my VX. The last VX run was the first and last time I ever took it off road. With those aired down Toyos it crawled like a gecko.

Well Marlin, Map Quest says 3hrs. 50 minutes, but I have a 1 hour bladder so make it 4:15, Hey, I'm old.

For sure I need to attend Todd's 4x4 class. I did the sand trap last month with the Baxman out of Seattle and made a mess of it, but what a blast, so want all the learning I can get. last time before the sand trap was like, 1963, riding shotgun in a 48 willies, for young'in's that is the jeep that was in WWII! And if nothing else, would like to buy a belated birthday drink for Kodiak. Enough of this cyber birthday toast crap. We should be in salt town about 1'ish, please do give the motel a call, both of ya. Love to met up, have a drink, make some plans. PM if you want cell phone number

Get with kodiak for cell, I have his as well. He lives there. I can make 75mph with the setup I have, the trailer has HD Chevy axles and the Expy has huge 4wheel disc brakes,hence the 9300lb tow capacity. With the 6 speed tranny, that puts me at 75mph at 2300 RPMS or so, we can haul ***.....literally. But pee breaks for old people are authorized.

If we maintain 75mph we should be fine. I was planning on 3 stops.

Stop 1 Spanish Fork, this is just before we head up in to the canyon.
    Stop 2 Price, halfway mark to Moab.
    Stop 3 Green River, good place to gas up and get last minute provisions before Moab.

I’m looking forward to that drink rowhard.

Cell PM sent.
    Last edited by kodiak : 05/06/2009 at 12:17 AM

Hahaha!! Hay I’m being optimistic! At least you didn’t tell them that they’re going to be traveling through one of the deadliest roads in the country. Yep, the stretch between Spanish Fork and Price will be the toughest part, but they’ve widened most of the canyon so there’re not as many bottlenecks. And the 5.4 v8 of Chris’s will eat Soldier Summit for breakfast!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    That's weird. Why do you stop in Green River? By the time I get to I-70, Moab is the only thing that exists outside my vehicle! The speed limit on 6 is between 55 and 65 and there aren't many places for 3 vehicles to pass semis through the canyon. The trailer WILL slow you down because Soldier Summit is pretty steep... and, come on, he is in a Ford! Rowhard, my dad is 63 and I laugh because when he gets the urge, he is out the door and on the side of the road no matter what... then I cringe because he dips his hands in our snacks.

so is this the only way to go?

No there’s another, but it adds 3hrs to the trip. It’s not that bad you’ll be fine. We will be traveling during the day and it’s not winter so it will be I nice picturesque drive through the canyon.

This is why it’s so dangerous during the winter.

http://www.sunad.com/index.php?tier=1&article_id=8346