Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 10 Years Ago Today

10 Years Ago Today

Wow, It doesn't seem like it, but ten years ago today I got the keys to my VX. As I remember back...

The first week was great except for backing out of the gas station area and nailing some old beater that was in my blindspot (Thats when I really started using those side mirrors)

The next few years I enjoyed the early morning commute with no traffic, no on or off ramps and a cement divide between the east and west lanes (read high speed driving) and playing with my first ever 4x4 in the parking lot snowbanks watching the snow fly over the hood as I returned from the yard area into the lot (only to find out that the snow freezes inside the wheel and scares the crap out of you the next time you go for a drive).

Then heartbreak as the engine blows up at 36,005 miles and the dealer blames me for not having any oil in it (Oh to have the 100,000 warranty of the 00's and 01's). When I explain that they are the ones who have done the oil changes and all he needs to do is open the glovebox for the receipts they suddenly decide to cover the $7,000 tab. Two days after getting it back the flywheel snaps (The dealer apologizes as they put a rush on fixing it)

Other than the common issues many of us have (sagging windows, blower motor, hood latch, and abs sensor) I am amazed at the longevity of some of the other parts of this vehicle.

I have yet to have to replace a single bulb, headlight,interior, brakelight, nothing. I keep thinking I should replace the original battery but every freaking sub-zero morning here in Michigan the dang thing has started without a single hesitation.

So I had a few issues but overall I have loved the last ten years of VX ownership and can only hope for another ten with the VX and this website. Thanks to all of you for helping to keep the fire lit. Mike

Mike, that's fantastic! I was recently thinking about starting a thread looking for the first ten year owner, 'cuz it is that time already. You're our first member to hit ten years!

I have just over eleven months to go for the coveted ten year original owner honor. There should be more showing up in the next few months and a whole bunch by this time next year.

Again, nice job, Mike. The first ten is the hardest. Just think, you'll probably be our first twenty year owner!

Mark Griffin (a VX lifer)
    Last edited by deermagnet : 04/15/2009 at 08:41 PM

It's great how loyalty can go that far.

I can't imagine driving the same car that long,however i believe this truck deserves such love.

If few isuzu executives was able to read this post they'll ashame to know that out here is people who do enjoy their creation & return that loyalty by at least saying "THANK YOU" but rather left all of us fighting against so many things that we got to deal with;Lack of parts,support,low resale value,honest dealers,etc.
    Dakar was just the begining.

WOW, is all I can say Mike and having grown up in Benton Harbor, I know what those Michigan winters are like. Am amazed it isn't a rust heap. In fact, this morning while driving the express bus between Olympia and Tacoma Washington, I saw this Ford P.U., and it had these chrome step bars, and they were rust heaps, then I saw the Michigan Lic Plate and said, Oh yea, SALT.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

I'm just giving this a bump as we're looking for US ten year owners. We still only have one confirmed here. Don't be shy. When ya hit ten years please let us know about it. There must be a few more out there by now.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! 10 years of ownership and only 36 posts on this forum - you gotta a problem, man! How many miles are on the VX now?
    lol......i had my MARLIN for 12 years ..does that count
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! 10 years of ownership and only 36 posts on this forum - you gotta a problem, man! How many miles are on the VX now?
    He's got a problem, I've got the reverse problem......

What's that make YOU?...normal?......
    Last edited by Ldub : 08/13/2009 at 11:00 PM

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    BUAAHAHA! OH, GOD NO! It makes me equally unique yet perfectly flawed!

Wow, it is that time... I'm coming up on mine as well. This has been made into it's own category as the stories will be priceless and I don't want to get them lost.
    Scott / moncha.com

Fair enough, I will admit 36 posts is lame. Put me in the category of someone who loves all the info and uses the forum for guidance in many areas (window fix, blower issue, tire selection) and is the quiet guy in the background.

But I will commit here and know to becoming more active in posts, I may even get around to posting some photos (10 Michigan winters can help you identify the rust areas that are growing)

As for mileage....129,000 every day daily drving.

Happy Anniversary!!!

10 years ago today.....

I was about to graduate high school, lol

Had I still had my dragon, I would be very close to 10.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

I also live in michigan, and am debating parking my vehicross for the winter.... I just don't want it to rust!! this will be its first winter. I love it too much to let the salt eat away at its beauty. Maybe michigan wont have the money to salt the roads this winter??? we can only hope

It is good to see yours has lasted 10 years and is still running strong! I wish I could say that about other vehicles.

I drove my brand spanking new VX off the dealer's lot on October 15, 1999. I bought it outright for $13K when the lease ended and have had no regrets. At 79K miles it remains all stock except for a Pioneer N2 touchscreen GPS/rear videocam/CD/MP3/DVR/surround sound system with Jensen speakers/subwoofer, Geolander ATS tires and a debadged rear hatch. I've experienced all the congenital birth defects except terminal engine failure. It has been through ten Buffalo winters and is still turning heads.