Thread: Common Issues- EVAP and ABS

Common Issues- EVAP and ABS

Reaching the end of my rope. I replaced my ABS module with a used one...it kept the ABS light off for about 3 days. My check engine light is on for EVAP error. Changed to Isuzu gas cap, tightened and or replaced any hoses/sensors, tried swapping out the computer/ECM etc...and the light continues to linger. Does anyone have any secrets about these two issues? My Vehicross has been great otherwise. Had for 4 years now and just hit only 68000 miles.

From what I've read, it seems the ABS and emissions thing is something common to the vehicross and I am far from a mechanic.. Shy of just putting electrical tape over these warning lights, I am open to any secrets or suggestions. Seems to be tough to get parts for these issues also.

Thanks

Have you determined which code is causing the ABS light? It might not be the main unit - could be a remote sensor.

Also, on the CEL, I get something similar whenever the take reaches half-full. It then goes away when I fill up., I suspect it's something with the evap canister - just living with the light for now.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

1. Remove the ABS light from the dash cluster & be done with it. The VX is much better off without ABS anyway IMHO. It'll only take you about 30 minutes & a Phillips screwdriver. I have a How2 with pixes if you want.

2. You'll have to read the codes on the CEL for us to be much help. I get a P0442 code quite often which indicates that it could be the Evap Canister (replacing the gas cap didn't help). In reality I recently noticed that fuel drips from the tube running from the fill port to the tank. I think that would give the same symptoms to the computer as a loose gas cap & throw a CEL.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

1999, Victory White, Ironman, 1567, 1999, Astral Silver(Painted Green Mica), Vehicross, 1454

Evap code

I got the same code after removing the solenoid assembly from the side of the abs unit. Because u have to move a lot of stuff out of the way to work on the ABS modulator the Evap canister may have been turned upside down and raw fuel may have clogged the line. I just cleared the code and hope it doesn't return. I used to get a gas gap code every month on my 2005 dodge Dakota! Evap is nothing to worry about.

I got my p0440 cleared up. It ended up being 8 dollars of plastic hoses. FYI all evap codes are checked when the tank is above 1/4 and below 3/4 (give or take an 1/8 depending on manufacturer). If you try reseting the code and taking it in, you won't pass. The system requires it to be within the tank levels to run the test.