Page 1 of 57 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you doing to your VX this week?

What are you doing to your VX this week?

Inspired by an onging thread on another vehicle obsession forum, I thought we could motiviate each other toward better maintenance and/or activity with our trucks with a discussion thread about plans for our VX's this week. Perhaps we could do a "What Im gonna do" thread each week. Thursday seems like as good a start day as any, considering that it is just before the weekend.

Starting it off: This weekend, without fail, I will be doing my first oil/filter/PCV change. Mobil 1 5W30. In accordance with my promise to mi esposa, I will be spending a roughly equivalent amount of effort on her 98 Saab 900 vert, changing the oil/filter with Mobil 1 0W40. I also plan on doing round two of my VX headlight restoration: in the full daylight today I found enormous flaws in my first attempt. The Saab gets her first headlight treatment this weekend as well, 'cause thats fair. 1500 grit wet sand and Maguiere's Plast-X polish.

Also, hopefully my replacment title for my VW bug will arrive tomorrow, so I can close the sale with the lovely french couple that wants to buy it. SO a busy car weekend for me.

-Os

1999 (2001) Radiant Red 157/175 "lil pwny"
    I have just purchase a set of new black steel rims + off road tyres. The new rims expose the hubs that were hidden by my alloy rim caps.

The hubs have surface rust and now stick out like dog balls.

I plan on getting some high temp black spray paint and after i have sanded of the surface rust i will coat them.

Pack up my VX's backseat

Hey Os-
    For my VX this week, I plan on packing up its back seat to ship to another great VX'er in Florida! :bgwp::coolp:

And then I'm making an appointment for the tranny & filter to be serviced. Got a case of Royal Purple ATF all ready to go.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

I need to clean the inside. It's getting a little farty in there.

Bart

I plan on trying to work the kinks out of my rear door popper. It stopped working a while ago (I'm sure due to my installation) and it would be nice to have it working again.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Thanks MS, you reminded me....yeah, my hatch popper needs fixed again too

Oops, forgot....my popper Plunger thing popped off today....that's definitely something I'm doing for my VX this week...er, uh, doing for me actually! This is the 3rd time needing fixed since install 6 weeks ago, each time different problem.....:madp.

what issues are you guys having the the popper? i was having trouble with mine.. turns out that the latch that holds the hatch closed had moved, so i loosened it up all the way.. shut the hatch, opened it back up, and tightened it back down.. worked without fail since

well yesterday i cleaned my EGR, throttle body, idle control solenoid, and PCV valve also wiped down everything in the engine bay and polished it up..

putting some seafoam into the engine tomorrow right before a trip down to the delaware beaches for the weekend then when i get back monday..

i plan to do an oil change (local advanced auto has an oil change special.. 5 quarts of mobil 1 + mobil 1 oil filter for 29.99) with 10w-30

tuesday i start my new job at sears auto center.. so im sure a coolant flush and power steering flush wont be far behind..

oh and someday ill probably wash it

etl,

When I first installed the popper it worked like a charm, but after a couple of months went by one day I hit the button and.....nothing. I have the popper hooked up to a stock Isuzu rear hatch switch and I'm wondering if I burned the switch, fried the relay, or the wires in the switch harness came loose. I'm going to take it all out this weekend and redo it to see if I just missed something.

If you have any suggestions I'm all ears.

98. Blazed Peacock Mica, 1504 SOLD VxLess Now :O
    Well today i finally got back to putting my vxs front back together, as i pulled out the headlights to restore them and redo the seals.

Also finished off the install on the stereo.
    Next week hopefuly my new wheels will arrive

Popper problems

1) Had the popper button installed in "fuzzy box". First day the button came apart. They put a more robust button in - no problem since.

2) Worked for several weeks, then the hatch would "pop" but wouldn't fully release unless someone else held button down in dash. Shop "adjusted" something....then worked fine for a while.

3) This week, problem #2 above started again.

4) Had new stereo, iPod connection, old OEM CD player yanked and cubby box installed YESTERDAY, and they adjusted popper again.

5) TODAY the plunger looking thing with the rubber tip fell off completely when I pushed button, fell into hatch when I opened hatch with key.

Problem is.....A combination of my OEM stock shocks AND my rough, rutted, washboard dirt road that I have to travel 1/2 mile each way (to/from my house) AND I totally nailed a BAD rut going way too fast two days ago have just jiggled the heck out of everything and the popper pooped out! THANKFULLY, my window tabs haven't broken YET from the severe vibrations, and Tim at SBC is installing the brackets on Tuesday.

So my VX should feel like it's getting the full spa treatment this week!

Good thread OS !

If the package arrives on time,which i toughfully doubt will be installing my new cool air intake & clean up in interior a bit if weather doesn't mess up the plans
    Dakar was just the begining.

I've been working on mine every saturday,

Tomorrow a good clean (been driving round london covered in mud all week ) then fitting a dvd player + screen and stereo
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

Ack! Mar 23 snuck upon on me quick! I have to go back and read our PMs cause I can't recall how I was supposed to pay you, and other detials. Listen, I am going to Honduras and Guatemala this week, won't be back until Friday. If you are sending via greyhound, do you when it will arrive, and if it arrives befor I get back, is there any issue with them storing it until I do? This was a short notice business trip, hope it does not cause problems.
    - Os

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Hey Os-
    For my VX this week, I plan on packing up its back seat to ship to another great VX'er in Florida! :bgwp::coolp:

And then I'm making an appointment for the tranny & filter to be serviced. Got a case of Royal Purple ATF all ready to go.

I hope to get around to finishing all of my rewiring after my rodent run-in. That is, if I can tear myself away from Resident Evil 5 long enough.

Poor VX has been in the garage with a battery disconnect for almost 2 weeks now and she needs to breathe.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Just finished installing what is surely the first of many window motor and regulator replacements (). Also installed SBC replacement window clips.

Decided to put original carpeted mats back in the VX under the existing all season mats to save space in the shed. Already used the carpeted cargo mat as a template to cut pass-through holes in my all-season mat for the cargo hooks. Going to use the carpet mat again this weekend to cut a custom-fit (wall-to-wall) bed for my dog in the back.

Installing recently acquired Tone black step bars this weekend.

General cleanup...