Page 49 of 57 FirstFirst ... 39 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you doing to your VX this week?

Hoping to get the quick disconnect drive shaft installed (FINALLY). Wasn't procrastinating this time ... wanted to wait till shop was finished with axles.

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this as well since I went with the minimal approach on the tow bar:

http://www.readybrake.com/brake-systems.html
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Got eva-tang TTU...

This is becoming a giant snowball of a project. It started with a new steering wheel, then I decided to paint the door panels, that made the seats look old...&, not RED enough.

Now I'm thinking of re upholstering the arm rest in perforated leather to match the seat inserts...

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi ...
    Last edited by Ldub : 06/26/2011 at 06:53 AM

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    I removed the passenger side half shaft (shop needed it to rebuild my spare set).

Installed Warn hubs.

Removed front axle breather tube and installed a bellows. Y'all who have installed the super flexy IFS kit may want to think about doing this. IIRC, the bellows was $30 (over priced but that's the law of supply & demand - I could only find one source) and it takes about 5 min to install. I'll try to snap a pic tonight.

Removed rear cladding so Welder Guy could get measurements for upgraded hidden hitch (more tongue weight capacity). Ended up removing the rear tube bumper & gave it to him as well so that he can replicate the lower cladding bolt features (the hitch will replace the tube bumper in the final product). We may end up losing the assembly line hoop thinggy on the passenger side too but he's going to try to retain that. Since you can get a receiver mounted Mr. Scary hook, I didn't think that would be too serious.

Did a little grinding on the hitch so that the cladding fits better.

Tried adjusting the rear door that is sagging - made it worse.

While doing the rear third member swap on the RS, I noticed her breather was bad as well.
    I found lots of options, summit had some nice billet style vents. I also found this, thought it would be kind of neat:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LAND-ROVER-Gearb...#ht_2046wt_754

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

I have replaced the inner axle seals on the inside of the front diff and then I replaced the cv green cups with some OE one's in much better shape and painted them red. Then I rebuilt and installed some much better OE cv shafts after painting them red and filling with new grease and boots. Then I replaced the upper ball joints and steering tie rod ends, and replaced the alternator, and am halfway done replacing the steering pump. I also had a new front cross member modified to fit with the dropped diff and painted red. I then replaced my old worn out front driveshaft with a nicer OE shaft, i replaced the old grease in the newer front driveshaft and painted red. I refilled the front diff with synthetic gear oil after reinstalling.

Just had my OEM muffler swapped out for an Aero Turbine 2525XL.

It's gonna take some getting used to, in a good way though - it sounds amazing!

Next up: brakes, wheels and tires.

My girlfriend and I just finished applying the second coat of Monstaliner onto my cladding. I will start up a new thread in the Mods section with pics detailing the process. Unfortunately, I also found my next project....my bumper bar is NONEXISTENT, and will need to be replaced pronto. Anyone know a good source for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    This is becoming a giant snowball of a project. It started with a new steering wheel, then I decided to paint the door panels, that made the seats look old...&, not RED enough.

Now I'm thinking of re upholstering the arm rest in perforated leather to match the seat inserts...

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi ...

Sounds like, "if you give a mouse a cookie"....if you're familiar with the book.

1) Well I went from "tempted" to "Buy It Now" and bought those grey/black seats on ebay. Used Greyhound to ship them from PA to AZ. Treated them a few times with the Zymol "Treat" leather conditioner....came out BE-U-TE-FULL! Soaked up that stuff over and over.
    I also treated the old seats, really soaked it up, & came out nice. They're FOR SALE now.

Next, studied the workshop manual to figure out how to remove them, took several pics for reference, especially on the passenger seat with that cable.....and I jumped in!

Took 2 days, cuz it's 96 degrees and I'm very S-L-O-W...but I could do almost everything from a seated position.
    It went smoothly....I figured out exactly what part of the base I needed to transfer from old to new, even figured out the cable thing on the pass side after playing with it for a while.

And incredibly, I even figured out I had to loosen that one bolt on the track, to push it out of the way a little to get to the bolt behind it, holding the base to the seat! OK, if that's not what had to be done, don't tell me and burst my bubble.....let me think I problem-solved it, OK?

AND I had to improvise......I have a 3' pipe for extra leverage to break the threads on the floor bolts, but on the rear inner floor bolt, it was too long to fit. So....I had to improvise.....I have some carbon fiber trekking poles that are supposed to be super strong. So I took one apart and used the top tube as my breaker bar, my ratchet handle fit inside just fine, and the pole JUST fit, just rubbing the inside wall where the seatbelt hangs....
    Was a little nervous as I was pulling on it, kept looking for deformation, but all was OK, didn't bend or tweak it at all and of course, broke the blue threadlock on the bolt.

........hmmmmm..........none of my projects go smoothly......wonder what I left out, did backwards or messed up in general?.....

AND..

2) While the seats were out I removed both center consoles and installed the shifterplate covers I got from Ron, and Rowhard painted for me. That took a while to get centered and positioned with the little clips, but I finally got it.

Overall, I only needed Dave's help on a few items...lifting the seats out then in for one...and an extra hand here and there to hold something.....and one phone call to Dub for encouragement and an explanation of the cable, but other than that I did it all myself.....and they both work correctly!!
    I'm so proud....

NOTICE ANYTHING UNIQUE HERE????

AND THE MADWOMAN'S WORK STATION/AREA......SHEESH, NOW I UNDERSTAND WHY YOU GUYS HAVE SOOOOOO MANY TOOLS! I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW MANY DIFFERENT ONES I NEEDED!

VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Awesome Sue! I remember doing my seats, not a whole lot of room in there. Doesn't it feel awesome when you do your own work!!!!? Even though it takes 10 times the amount of time a mechanic could do it in, I always feel better doing it myself.

I am curious about this leather treatment you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Awesome Sue! I remember doing my seats, not a whole lot of room in there. Doesn't it feel awesome when you do your own work!!!!? Even though it takes 10 times the amount of time a mechanic could do it in, I always feel better doing it myself.

I am curious about this leather treatment you speak of?
    Thanks! It IS really rewarding!

Here's the thread about leather care, looks like there's several really good leather care products, Zaino bros, Lexol, Zymol, Connolly, Meguiar's, mink oil: I bought the Zymol "Treat" conditioner in the white bottle, 8.5 oz. Like all Zymol products, it smells awesome, like banana coconut...sometimes I didn't know whether to apply it to the truck or eat it....
    http://vehicross.info/forums/showthr...hlight=leather

Nice work Sue! But when you mentioned paintwork by rowhard I thought for sure we'd see some purple on those shift plates!

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    Thanks! It IS really rewarding!

Here's the thread about leather care, looks like there's several really good leather care products, Zaino bros, Lexol, Zymol, Connolly, Meguiar's, mink oil: I bought the Zymol "Treat" conditioner in the white bottle, 8.5 oz. Like all Zymol products, it smells awesome, like banana coconut...sometimes I didn't know whether to apply it to the truck or eat it....
    http://vehicross.info/forums/showthr...hlight=leather
    When my oldest was 2, he ate an entire tube of superglue, poison control said it was harmless, as long as he didn't glue his mouth shut or anything.
    I never would have guessed....Zymol, he would probably try making a shake out of it....lol.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Nice work Sue! But when you mentioned paintwork by rowhard I thought for sure we'd see some purple on those shift plates!
    I restrained myself......but don't think I wasn't thinking about it..

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    NOTICE ANYTHING UNIQUE HERE????
    Yep.... right off the bat! Didn't know they made 'em in that color!

So what prompted the seat replacement & surgery?

Quote Originally Posted by RickOKC View Post
    Yep.... right off the bat! Didn't know they made 'em in that color! YUP, they do....Harbor Freight bulk pack. I've even got pink ones too

So what prompted the seat replacement & surgery?
    YOU
    well, you .....and me seeing numerous pics recently where the leather was looking so good.......and they just happened to be there on ebay.....and....and ...and...well, I just couldn't resist!