Page 7 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you doing to your VX this week?

Marlin,

Your new greasable sway bar bushings are the correct ones. The brackets on the front ones hang out on everyone's VX. I replaced mine last year and thought the same thing that you did, but when I got to Moab and saw that everyone's brackets stuck out on the bottom I felt a little better. I'll have to take a look at yours in Moab, because I was going to grind mine down too, but (from what I remember) if I ground them down enough, I would have ground into the mounting slot and it would have been open on one end and I didn't like that. Did you end up grinding both ends so that neither of the slots is open?
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

I didn't mind that overhang, it was the top half that was the problem. It wouldn't fit in there between the bolt that holds the actual mount to the frame and the bracket. I ground that end down about 1/8", made it look original, not all the way to the slot. Then I just bent it into place. Sorry to disappoint, but I have the overhang as well

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Talking

I did not want to resurrect the Wasabi video thread, so here you go. I was at Sams Club today, they had the Oregon Scientific action camera on clearance under seasonal. Got it for 40 bucks. Came with all kinds of mounting attachments. It is waterproof, mud proof, shock resistant...It shoot VGA, a 1 gig card gets me 30min of video/audio. I screwed around with it a bit, mounted it on the luggage rack, fits perfect, no vibration, great shot down the hood. Cons, it needs daylight, it was dusk/dark and it has a short range lens, so not too great. I will shoot a short vid tomorrow and post it, Wasabi, I accept your challenge for making a better video, I will be at Uhwarrie this weekend and make some sweet clips. I have 2 2 gig cards and a couple of 4 gig cards. Plenty of memory.

Oil change and new plugs. That back one on the driver's side was a beotch! Had to use a wobble extension and a universal.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

tomorrow the vx gets new headlight bulbs, a new rear view camera, a bath, and gonna top off all the fluids

1. Installed an OEM roof rack, woot!

2. Also installed my missing spare tire cover knob (thanks Merlin). Just beware, if you order any replacement knobs, they do NOT come with the C-clips. Fortunately, I had the c-clip for my missing knob.

3. Superglued my broken plastic cover that hides the tire wrench. (Managed to break off a 2"x2" section while removing some luggage from the back) It ain't a perfect repair, not sure if I will seek a replacement or not)

You know what is cool about being so motivated to work on the VX? I am also spending equal time working on my wifes Saab 900 vert. This weekend I replaced the trunk emblem, the hood shocks, and the cabin filter. Did a Rickshaw-type cleaning on that hole hidden section as well.

- Os

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    alright, i did my last purchase for the VX until after moab..the rest of my money is going to be saved for gas, food, and shelter

SBC window brackets...

hopefully the red-rock crew is still down to help me install them...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyapollo View Post
    Oil change and new plugs. That back one on the driver's side was a beotch! Had to use a wobble extension and a universal.

-- John
    Curious John, what plugs did you go with? I like to keep tabs on the S/C'd guys to see what they like best and what works well. Any impressions on yours yet?
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

I'm trying the NKGs - thought about the Densos but wanted to check these out first.
    The install was fairly straight-forward even if the back plugs were a bit ackward to reach. One of mine was pretty rusty but I checked the boot and didn't see any cracks or splits so I decided to keep an eye on it (and cranked it down fairly tight). So far I'm noticing a bit quicker throttle response, but that may be due to the ECU reset so it's hard to tell. The VX was driving OK previously if a little sluggish. I actually don't have the SC on right now - getting a bad drive bearing replaced but it needs to wait until after my taxes are paid (the unit is sitting in a box). After driving with the SC and then going back, the VX actually is fairly peppy in near stock config, quite a surprise.

-- John

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Bring a razor blade , some solvent ...and RUM.....

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    alright, i did my last purchase for the VX until after moab..the rest of my money is going to be saved for gas, food, and shelter

SBC window brackets...

hopefully the red-rock crew is still down to help me install them...

Its a good "stoop" project....

I've got spare glass to metal epoxy - same as I used ...

.... you'll need to keep the windows Up and Closed over-night.

jo

VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Tinkered around with those RallyArmor flaps this weekend. They will be great in the rear, but I am in a pickle with the front. Because I did rear-well trim in the fronts, I am running into a lack of mounting area. Until I decide how to get around that obstacle, I am holding off. Used some duct tape to hold them up in there so I could get a full walkaround to see how they looked. Man.... I want them in there NOW, heh.

Would have been handy this morning. With my crazy offset, I motorboat down the highway at speed with the craziest roostertail, hahaha.

Once cmpleted, other drivers will love me for it.

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post
    Bring a razor blade , some solvent ...and RUM.....

Its a good "stoop" project....

I've got spare glass to metal epoxy - same as I used ...

.... you'll need to keep the windows Up and Closed over-night.

jo

what kind of solvent?? and better yet....what kind of rum???

so can i 'borrow' some of that extra epoxy you have??

and i always leave my windows up and car armed while sleeping

to be completely honest i feel like im gonna be scalded for the poor job i did before trying to fix them

do i need to bring a portable light? drill? handheld screwdriver? some pick tools to put the door back together?

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Just a good "GOO" remover to clean up the window after scraping the old "goo" off with the razor blade.

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    what kind of solvent?? and better yet....what kind of rum???
    can i 'borrow' some of that extra epoxy you have??
    do i need to bring a portable light? drill? handheld screwdriver? some pick tools to put the door back together?
    I'll have same lights I had last year...and tools are everywhere at "the stoop" garage!
    Unca' Dub is right next door...so never fear!

Ya can have the glue...its enough for two windows.

MOUNT GAY RUM (yellow label..the cheap one!) should "seal" the deal!

jo

In prep for Moab just got done replacing the T-case fluid, front brake pads, and fixed a very small coolant leak I have had for a while (would spit a drop or 2 every week or so).
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Quote Originally Posted by JoFotoz View Post

MOUNT GAY RUM (yellow label..the cheap one!) should "seal" the deal!

jo
    how do you feel about capt. morgan?? i dont think we have mount gay rum