Page 6 of 57 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you doing to your VX this week?

This weekend if mama nature allows me to i'll have the engine oil change from 10w-30 to 0w-30 ( mobil 1 )
    Flushe the engine with a cheap oil to get all that old oil outter the engine
    Dakar was just the begining.

Today I just did a few easy preventive maintenance things.

Cleaned the MAF sensor with electrical contact cleaner. I don't have any problems, I do that once a year every spring to avoid MAF sensor issues.

Cleaned the idle air control valve. I first did this after seven years and it was extremely dirty. Two years later it was hardly dirty at all and didn't really need it.

Took off the throttle position sensor for the first time to see if it needs any cleaning. It didn't. There's no dirt issues there and it doesn't need to come off unless there's a problem with it.

Sanded and painted the wiper arms. I do that about every two years. I use flat black Rustoleum. Replaced the wiper blades also.

Hit the hinges and latches on all four sides with white lithium grease.

Dumped a pint of Seafoam in the gas tank.

Mark Griffin (a VX lifer)

This weekend I plan to....
    Change my pads and rotors.
    Install Diff brackets.
    Put my passenger CV back in.
    Install manual hubs.
    Install a muffler.

Got my RallyArmor mudflaps in. Gonna see about mounting them and what is gonna be involved in doing so.

Other than that, trying to solve the 442 CEL. Hopefully it's just a loose gas cap.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn View Post
    Install a muffler.

do you have a welder???
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    do you have a welder???
    I dont. But know people who do.

1999 Ex-Ebony..Fully Line-X'd ..0189...THE "ORW".....matching Line-X'd Trailer made from a written off 2001 Ebony.
    Gonna fit Heavy duty INDY4X Tie Rods to ORW...

...and lube her up , cause she's squeeeekkkkking!

jo
    VX.info...PLEASE SUPPORT THIS SITE WITH YOUR VOLUNTARY $20 DONATION...
    Absolutely the best $20 you'll spend per year on your VX.

~ ~ > OFF ROAD WHORE <~ ~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn View Post
    This weekend I plan to....
    Change my pads and rotors.
    Install Diff brackets.
    Put my passenger CV back in.
    Install manual hubs.
    Install a muffler.
    So you gonna be 4x4 again??

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    So you gonna be 4x4 again??

Bart
    Yeah, but that stuff might wait til next weekend. We had Gracie fixed today and I dont want to leave her all alone all day tomorrow.

98. Blazed Peacock Mica, 1504 SOLD VxLess Now :O
    Finaly fixed my dash ratte ( i hope ) Had one screw just sitting there in a hole behind the dash. took out the dash insert over 4 times testing it for the squeak. Finaly got the screw out and put some rubbar cault in the gaps where some of the metal touches metal and now no noise!.

hope it lasts

Today was all a perfect day,sunny on the upper 60's,no chances of rains,etc

So with mama nature giving the north east region a break i went down stairs around 10:15 & started my oil change by loosing the oil pan plug,then let the oil drained completly;After 30 minutes i put back the oil pan plug & poured two quarts of clean oil,started the engine & let it run for 5 minutes.

I left the engine to rest for 15 minutes,then removed the oil pan plug again & drained any old oil that was still in the engine with the two quarts of oil i added earlier;Thereafter i got rid of the old PCV valve,cleaned the rubber hose with a bit of bleach & let it down to dry whilst i were replacing the old oil filter (M1-104),hook up the new PCV valve & with all that done i poured 4 1/2 quarts of mobil 1 0w-30.

Checked oil level & ran the engine for 10 minutes while looking out for possible leaks & started detailing the interior with armorall,vacuum the floor mats & floor,tires were also detail as well as the rims,check all tire pressure & also detailed the hood bra by covercraft with leather conditioner.check out all lights & rest of the fluids (brakes,coolant & windshield) did i missed any thing ?

Again was all just a perfect day
    Last edited by Gussie2000 : 04/18/2009 at 10:36 PM

Did ya grease all the Zirc fittings?

I replaced front and rear sway bar bushings with the greasable type. PITA!!! The front bushings from IND4X were the wrong type I think. The actual rubber portion was correct, but the bracket did not fit, but with the some grinding, and man handling, I made it work. The rear were a pain too. One of the bracket bolts broke off, so I had to drill that out, tap a new hole....
    One of the original bushings had actually worn all the way through in the front!!!! It steers a lot better now, and makes the shocks feel stiffer in the front.
    I installed my second camera in the back. I cried when I saw the rust under the rear cladding Now I have one for for use as my digital rear view, and another pointing at the ground for reverse camera. The monitor is my rear view mirror.
    I also changed my oil, with quaker state 4x4 torque synthetic.
    Remounted my skidplates after adding access to the oil filter, and drain plug, greased all the zircs, checked everything for leaks, looseness, cried again when I saw the rust on the undercarriage.
    Cleaned/oiled my K&N filter.
    Today, I will look at the CB mounting project, deflate/inflate tires with CO2, mount the inverter, mount CO2 bottle and fire extinguisher. I need to pull the driving light fixtures, they have condensation in them, so I will reseal them with some RTV. Time to start packing for Uwharrie, can't believe its only a few days away!!!
    I started Saturday morning at about 830 and didn't stop until about 1630. I took 2 breaks, one to eat lunch, one to change out of coveralls and into shorts. It was in the 80s yesterday. A good day overall.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

[QUOTE=Marlin;155276]Did ya grease all the Zirc fittings?

Upsss !

I did missed that one marlin

Thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    Did ya grease all the Zirc fittings?

I replaced front and rear sway bar bushings with the greasable type. PITA!!! The front bushings from IND4X were the wrong type I think. The actual rubber portion was correct, but the bracket did not fit, but with the some grinding, and man handling, I made it work. The rear were a pain too. One of the bracket bolts broke off, so I had to drill that out, tap a new hole....
    One of the original bushings had actually worn all the way through in the front!!!! It steers a lot better now, and makes the shocks feel stiffer in the front.
    I installed my second camera in the back. I cried when I saw the rust under the rear cladding Now I have one for for use as my digital rear view, and another pointing at the ground for reverse camera. The monitor is my rear view mirror.
    I also changed my oil, with quaker state 4x4 torque synthetic.
    Remounted my skidplates after adding access to the oil filter, and drain plug, greased all the zircs, checked everything for leaks, looseness, cried again when I saw the rust on the undercarriage.
    Cleaned/oiled my K&N filter.
    Today, I will look at the CB mounting project, deflate/inflate tires with CO2, mount the inverter, mount CO2 bottle and fire extinguisher. I need to pull the driving light fixtures, they have condensation in them, so I will reseal them with some RTV. Time to start packing for Uwharrie, can't believe its only a few days away!!!
    I started Saturday morning at about 830 and didn't stop until about 1630. I took 2 breaks, one to eat lunch, one to change out of coveralls and into shorts. It was in the 80s yesterday. A good day overall.
    I now how it feels when you saw that evil amount of rust

My VX is original from massachussets,over there salt is the common tool for winter,here in NYC,the city uses beach sand,which is a non-corrosive element & avoids the ice to freez up & turn into black ice which is undetectable at human's eye

My bumper reinforcements is also rusted a bit,my mech told to steam wash the undercarriage & he'll add some anti-rust coat film & lube all around to avoid further rust

Quote Originally Posted by Gussie2000 View Post
    I now how it feels when you saw that evil amount of rust

My VX is original from massachussets,over there salt is the common tool for winter,here in NYC,the city uses beach sand,which is a non-corrosive element & avoids the ice to freez up & turn into black ice which is undetectable at human's eye

My bumper reinforcements is also rusted a bit,my mech told to steam wash the undercarriage & he'll add some anti-rust coat film & lube all around to avoid further rust
    My VX spent the first 8 years of it's life in Akron, Ohio, same deal, tons of salt and snow. It was a single owner and apparently garaged. It looks new on the external, but crawl underneath....I have been working on it, naval jelly, flush, brush on rustoleum enamel and spray where I can't get a brush. Its a lot better, but slow going. Oh well, some of the body seams show rust, but I didn't get it for a show car...