Thread: Me, my VX, and my plans

Me, my VX, and my plans

Hi all. I have only posted a time or two but have read as much about these things as I can in the time I have been here. My name is Sam and I'm from West TN, just a bit north of Memphis. I found this site when I started looking at the VehiCROSS as a play toy and project. Then I found one and grabbed it. It is a 1999 silver and had 109K miles when I bought it. It has new BFG tires on it, 265-75-16. I think they call them 32's don't they?

There it is crammed in my garage. I had to park it there the other day because somehow my driver's side window popped completely out of the track and fell to the bottom of the door. I had to drive home from Memphis (about 40 minutes) with the window completely wide open, and it was about 37 degrees outside. Not so fun. This was right after I had to get a boost to leave work because my battery decided to die right then. Good times
    I guess in his/her lame attempt to stop the window tilt problem, the PO hacked at the weather stripping with a razor knife.

Is replacement weather stripping available or should I look for a member parting out a wrecked VX?

So, I have already ordered OME springs for the back, new bump stops for the front and rear, SBC window brackets and spare tire cover brackets (mine only had 1 plastic screw thingy), a Taurus cup holder to fill a big gap at the bottom of my center console... I think that's all I have ordered. Oh wait, I also ordered an air filter kit I found on ebay. One of the PO's slapped a K&N on the end of the intake tube and tie-wrapped it to the fender. It is nasty and damaged. Lame

Hopefully the one I ordered will clean that right up. ** notice the HID ballast, I had a couple HID lights that I pulled out of my Escape that went right in.

Another problem I have is with the heat and A/C controls. The temp selection works and the location switch works, but the fan controls have been disconnected and a toggle switch has been added to the high speed.

So what this does is give me all or nothing on the fan. I also don't know if the a/c works or even comes on. I have not pulled the panel off to fix this and undo the carnage yet. I hope I can put it back to normal. After reading about fan woes on this site, I am lead to believe I need to buy a replacement resistor. I would like to know if there is a consensus on where to buy these factory replacement parts, and of course where that is. Also, I have no lights in this panel. I don't know if it is because the power has been removed, or if all the bulbs are bad.

Last issue, and this is minor, is a missing trim panel that goes just inside the rear door at the end of the headliner.

I figured I could get one from a part-out VX eventually.

So, I hope I didn't bore anyone to tears with this. This is a great site.
    Thanks!

Welcome to the addiction!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Welcome, Looks like you got the bug.
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

Thumbs up

Welcome!

Looks like you have your work cut out for you! But, you have come to the right place. First off, I would say you should call our friend Merlin. Merlin is our "go to guy" for OEM Isuzu VX parts, or at least what's let of em out there. That would be my first choice. Second choice, would be to search car-part.com and myisuzuparts.com for the bits and pieces you need. There are usually some people on here parting out VXes so you can check those threads too. I would just do a search for "parting" or "parting out" and see what you get.

Merlin at St. Charles Isuzu 1-800-727-8066.

Remember, when you call Merlin, mention you were referred to him by the VehiCROSS.info site. You will get a discount and free shipping.

Glad to know you will be fixing her up and getting rid of the PO's shoddy mods!!!

Bart

do your A/C controls light up when you flip that toggle switch? or do they never turn on?

id start by checking all of the fuses

good luck let us know if we can help!

Nope, never get any lights. The toggle switch has a cool green LED on the end so I know it's on. Well that and the load roar of the fan on high lets me know...
    I don't know if the power has been pulled off of that panel, or if it is multiple power wires, maybe it is a fuse somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    do your A/C controls light up when you flip that toggle switch? or do they never turn on?

id start by checking all of the fuses

good luck let us know if we can help!

id check fuses first, maybe the guy cut a wrong wire or something when installing the switch, could also be a bulb i guess, i dont think there are many to light up that panel, 1-2 maybe

but here is a link to all of the downloadable VX manuals made available for free by this awesome group of VXers

check out the electrical manual especially, you can probably trace back where the power comes from to see if you can find where the issue should be

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...category&cid=3

Hi sam !

Welcome to the hood.

Currently two members are parting out two VX's.

VXstorm & Slowrider.

Check them out,probably one of them might have the stuff you need
    Dakar was just the begining.

Do you know if they are checking the "want to buy" posts or shall I PM them?

Quote Originally Posted by Gussie2000 View Post
    Hi sam !

Welcome to the hood.

Currently two members are parting out two VX's.

VXstorm & Slowrider.

Check them out,probably one of them might have the stuff you need

Quote Originally Posted by samneil2000 View Post
    Do you know if they are checking the "want to buy" posts or shall I PM them?
    I will consider sending a PM's there's more posibilities that they'll answer you much faster since many Vx'ers have posted many times on their threads

I'll suggest you to provide them with a TLF number for better communication & more accurate description

Well, tonight I made a little progress. I pulled the door panel on the driver's side and pulled the glass out. It wasn't even attached to anything. Now I just hope my SBC mounts show up tomorrow so I can button it back up.

On that note, the weather stripping (around the window) is fubar'd. There isn't even any stripping down the channel towards the front of the VX. The PO chopped it off just below the top of the panel so it was out of site.

I need a replacement. I will try Merlin and the web. Maybe I'll come up with something.

Also, my OME 3" springs showed up today. I'm hoping to do some lifting Saturday. Anyone near Memphis wanna come participate? Yeah, I didn't think so.
    That's it for now guys. Thanks for the help and encouragement.

Update

Well, I got the OME 912's on and cranked the torsion bars some. I might go up a little more, but it actually sits a little more level than the pics below look. The pics were taken before I drove it some to shake it out.

I also got the SBC brackets on the spare tire carrier. They work great, and although the hardware is simple and anyone could make it at home with a welder, I liked having them ready to go out of the box. I put on a new battery, rigged up my new air filter setup to do away with the nasty filter laying on the fender.

Also, I put on the SBC window bracket on the driver's side door. It didn't fix my problem though. While digging around in there I found out that the plastic window guide had the teeth broke off one side, so there is nothing holding it to the metal track that goes up and down in the door. Therefore, it is free to tip forward whenever it wants to... So, not sure what I'm going to do about that one. I haven't gotten in to the passenger side door or the ac/heater controls yet.
    On a positive, I did manage to get a trim panel from a user that was parting out his VX, so thanks to bluejfan. I look forward to getting that panel installed.

That's it for now.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    nice, looks great!!

try merlin at st. charles isuzu for the window parts..
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden