Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: CarSystem Refinish Restorer

Cladding fading

I was googling at few websites & found this product which i assume some of you folks may have aknowledge of.

The product is named "Wurth stone guard black aereosol" offered by properautocare.com which offers another option to solve the fading issues our toys suffers from weather.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/classic-motoring_2072_48597565
    Last edited by Gussie2000 : 09/29/2009 at 06:47 PM
    Dakar was just the begining.

Custom painted S/C Ironman (ex. VX-King Copper, Rickster's Chameleon)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    PETOS--- Any results yet on getting the varnish-like goo off the cladding???
    Sorry, fellows, forgot to post a reply... well, I went with the suggested route of reapplying RR and then rubbing hard trying to get rid of the earlier stuff... well, I had limited success, I would say, looks better now, I guess the good old Russian winter will help to make the goo go off
    also, I suspect that the previous owner actually painted the cladding (really hard to see but i think he did do that), so application of RR maybe was not a good idea in the first place.. maybe it is the reason why it did not work well when I applied it the fist time...
    Vodka... Connecting people

Just put the order in for some RR. Used back to black a few weeks ago and it looked great for about 5 days. then i drove thru one of those midwestern hurricanes and now it looks worse than before I wasnt expecting anything speccial for 7 bucks though. Hope this does the trick

Oh it will do the trick, it's fantastic. It's a coating not a treatment, that's for sure.

I just noticed this week (after 4 months) that I had a few small areas where the R/R appears to be kind of scratched off (from brush or branch maybe?), so I'd recommend putting a heavier 2nd coat and maybe a 3rd coat on. It may be because I used a microfiber rag to apply it with, as I didn't have ANY residual to wipe off as instructions described.

I'm going to try to do the entire cladding again soon. There's PLENTY left in the can to do it over.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

So, I finally got around to the RR.

It's amazing how good it looks. If it holds up as long as chopper and everyone is saying it's worth the few hours to simply not have to screw with it every few weeks.

I'm extremely excited to say the least. The cladding it the one thing that just keeps our babies from not looking as amazing as any new car on the road. with that solved in some part we'll always be rocking.

I went basically the same route as Kat and it seemed to work pretty well. I used a heavier cloth that held a good bit of the liquid so it went on pretty thick. I did an initial coat that had swirls/faded streaks etc. I then went back with a soaked cloth and just wiped VERY evenly all the way around two more times. I was very careful to avoid leaving excess behind to glob.

So far it's amazing. I still need on more day to do the tiny detailing and get to the roof rack and mirrors a bit better. My hood insert was in BAD shape and just the one coat I got on today looks a million times better. I hope to do another one or two on that. If it fades again though I"m on the verge of just having it painted.

I need to go back and do the jams and rear door surrounding areas as well.

So in total I did 3 medium coats on the cladding. took me maybe and hour and a half to do it timed right.

I think that in a few weeks I'll wash her and may do one more good coat all around for good measure.

I just can't believe how good she looks. Now I can put in my new headlights and find some door seals, etc. I also think my windows are starting to stick, so may be doing that fix soon as well.

Wonder what the door and window rubber runs for a complete set?

Anyway, thanks to all those who went ahead and risked doing this treatment. I'm VERY excited to see how it holds up.

- technocoy
    macintosh man

I ended up putting on too thin of a coat the first time last June because I used a soaked rag, and since then, the front bumper has had some slight flaking off I believe from wind and abrasion.

So I hit it yesterday cuz it hit 68 degrees, the min. for working with this stuff. I used a foam brush which worked much better and it looks great. I actually applied it generously, then brushed and brushed to keep it from slowly dripping. After about 7-8 mins it gets thicker and it stops dripping and the brush strokes disappear for a nice even, satin finish. Doesn't really darken the cladding (unfortunately) or cover up any discolorations but it sure makes it look brand new otherwise.

This hard coating will last for years now I believe....and there's still at least 8 or 9 applications remaining in the can.

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    ...Doesn't really darken the cladding (unfortunately) or cover up any discolorations but it sure makes it look brand new otherwise...
    The more I read on this stuff the more I'm inclined to think its only advantage is that you don't have to apply it very often. My cladding was terribly faded last fall before I did my first coat of Back to Black, and in one detail it was tremendously darker. A few months ago I accidentally stained a large section of the cladding below the gas cap, but the next coat of B2B made it completely disappear. Even when I neglected the B2B for a couple of months, the stain still never came back.

In my mind B2B is simply a better product, IF you can tolerate applying it every 2-4 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    The more I read on this stuff the more I'm inclined to think its only advantage is that you don't have to apply it very often. My cladding was terribly faded last fall before I did my first coat of Back to Black, and in one detail it was tremendously darker. A few months ago I accidentally stained a large section of the cladding below the gas cap, but the next coat of B2B made it completely disappear. Even when I neglected the B2B for a couple of months, the stain still never came back.

In my mind B2B is simply a better product, IF you can tolerate applying it every 2-4 weeks.
    They're really two different animals, as R/R is a permanent hard coating (that says it penetrates the plastic), not a treatment. My front had some areas that flaked off as I mentioned from abrasion from airborne stuff, but everywhere else was fine. I just didn't apply it correctly first time. I'll never have to do it again now.

Wish I'd tried the B2B on my gasoline stain last year. I can see where that kind of product could kind of dissolve the gasoline. Now mine's covered with R/R so nothing will penetrate...so my "gas tat" stays.

some one told be black shoe polish is the best stuff hes used for his clading.. his looks great..its one of those chev.. truck suv things
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

Quote Originally Posted by don moore View Post
    some one told be black shoe polish is the best stuff hes used for his clading.. his looks great..its one of those chev.. truck suv things
    Actually, that crossed my mind...to put shoe polish on, THEN apply the R/R to seal it on...or I contemplated how I might be able to "dye" the R/R....but Dave the chemist reminded me there's probably a ton of things that could go wrong with that type of mixture....so alas, I used it as is and have very nice satiny grayish cladding...shall we start a poll on color?

Figured I'd keep KATs thread going since there is a lot of information in here.

I've been nearly a year now with my treatment of RR and it still looks nearly like the day I applied it. The only difference (which I see as a positive) is that a bit of the shine has mellowed so it looks a little more like the natural texture of the cladding.

I'll continue to post an update here and there as the time goes by. I'm going to wash her in the next week or two, so I'll take some good photos to show.

I think the biggest issue is getting the application right and then hand washing only. Per KATs experience I'm thinking powerwashers are a BAD idea.

I've still had only a positive experience with mine as well. Late this summer I applied a second coat because the original appeared to be thinning or wearing out or something. I like it so much I used it on the cladding on my 2003 Escape and it made that ride look much "younger" too.

Sorry you didn't have as good of luck as others of us have Kat! I love RR personally

would it (RR)..work in conjunction with a product that would first bring the cladding back to as dark as possible..then the application of RR....as i would want the cladding as dark as possible

Believe that the cladding needs to be completely "naked" prior to RR application, otherwise it won't adhere as well. RR is supposed to both darken and protect the cladding.

pretty sure everyones stated it doesnt darken the cladding