Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: CarSystem Refinish Restorer

What about using Windex to prep it? I recall somebody has been using Windex on the cladding to make it look good. So it apparently doesn't dry it out too bad...maybe it would be a pretty good prep solution to get off most of the "oily" type products we've put on it (Back to Black, etc...)
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    If you have used a silicon-based product in the last year, I would try to clean it off first. Any wild organic solvent will work for that.

The "oily products" come off by themselves (which is their problem, of course). If you put any of them on recently, then maybe it would be worth removing prior to refinishing. Brakekleen sounds like it would be way too harsh!

Otherwise, just wash normally & dry thoroughly. Be mindful of the Torx-head cladding screws - use compressed air to get the water out of them. Water seemed to make the product go on somewhat unevenly.

Quote Originally Posted by VehiGAZ View Post
    Any wild organic solvent will work for that.T
    We have a lot of blueberry patches around here, is that organic enough I suppose if I lived in Florida I could use oranges:bwgr::bgwp:

If all else fails, how about some TSP soap
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Quote Originally Posted by rowhard View Post
    We have a lot of blueberry patches around here, is that organic enough
    LOL!!! Make that a MILD organic solvent...

Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    What about using Windex to prep it? I recall somebody has been using Windex on the cladding to make it look good. So it apparently doesn't dry it out too bad...maybe it would be a pretty good prep solution to get off most of the "oily" type products we've put on it (Back to Black, etc...)
    ROWHARD--- I would try the WINDEX idea first on a sample cladding location, as it is an extremely "mild" cleaner and won't harm anything. If that doesn't work well; then upgrade to 409 Cleaner, as 409 is a bit more powerful than WINDEX. It is always wiser to begin with a mild type cleaner, and then gradually upgrade to a stronger cleaner as required to accomplish the mission. SIMPLE GREEN; might be an option, too. AIM HIGH!!!

finish restorer, side by side

Now, I do hope this stuff last as long as some of you have said cause it don't look half bad.:gring:

Seems like application is swirly and uneven, does it come off? Definately looks better than grey washed out side but looks like you have put nothing on bad cladding for long time. I use Back to Black and it does collect dust somewhat but nothing seems to be perfect for the cladding IMO. Definaely looks better than nothing on the cladding.

Quote Originally Posted by VXNIT View Post
    Seems like application is swirly and uneven, does it come off? Definately looks better than grey washed out side but looks like you have put nothing on bad cladding for long time. I use Back to Black and it does collect dust somewhat but nothing seems to be perfect for the cladding IMO. Definaely looks better than nothing on the cladding.
    no, actually I did it everytime I washed it. with different products. the undone cladding looks that way caused I used a strong chemical cleaned to get all the old product off of it.

The first coat just goes on that way. a second (or third) coat will coat over any swirls or streaks. You want a lint free cloth to put this on, and thin multiple coats is the way to go. Try to put it on with as uniform a wipe as you can, dont change direction or do swirls. I went a section of cladding at a time and waited the 10 mins and wiped off then put on additional coats until it looked "right" then moved on to the next section. A little goes a loong way. I have had it on mine for almost seven months and it still shines up nicely. Invest in a few hours putting this on and do it right, and you'll just need to treat your cladding once or twice a year (depending on weather conditions/how hard you ride her) instead of every other month like most of the other stuff (back to black, tire shine, clear coat wax, ICE)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Phantom, did you wax once you got it right to get a high sheen look? Step seven says you can

ROWHARD--- Nice pic's. I like the "half-n-half" look to show us "before-n-after".

Incidentally, did the Body Shop do a good job on your VX from the Winter incident??? Did you ever get your antenna "buzzing" sound corrected??? AIM HIGH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    ROWHARD--- Nice pic's. I like the "half-n-half" look to show us "before-n-after".

Incidentally, did the Body Shop do a good job on your VX from the Winter incident??? Did you ever get your antenna "buzzing" sound corrected??? AIM HIGH!!!
    Yea, I thought it would help anyone that is sitting on the fence that doesn't want to spend the money. Seems like a good product.

No, and no. It needs to go back and have the hood resprayed, I still have the buzz from what ever them did, they also fried the rear dome light I had installed and a 18 work day job turned into 25. Don't think I will go back or recommend them.

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car

Banned!

Busted
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

Quote Originally Posted by Anita View Post
    Busted

How that isn't for me

Quote Originally Posted by Anita View Post
    Busted
    Hope that isn't for me