Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: front door speaker replacements

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5

front door speaker replacements

hey, just did some work on my VX today, changed the front door speakers to infinity reference component's...

i also took the speaker grill out of the front doors...and added red LED's...just thought maybe a little excitement for driving at night

im also gonna post some info on wiring info for anyone else looking to do their front speakers...

front left door-
    woofer + blue
    - yellow

tweeter+ black/yellow
    - green/white

front right door-
    woofer + blue
    - grey

tweeter+ green/yellow
    - dark green/ yellow

ill post some pics of the LED work later....

heres some keywords for people searching-
    front, speakers, tweeters, wires, wiring

hope it helps
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Ah young Master Jack, so young & already much smarter than yer old uncle...

I was nutz enough to pull all new wires (BIG wires) through those skinny door boots, & it's NO fun...

I used Infinity reference panels for my rear speakers & love them long time...
    (sorry, just watched full metal jacket...)

GOOD INFO.!

i put all new wires in too.. mostly cause i have an amp pushing the speakers in the doors.. easiest way to run wires through those boots is to pull it free from both sides... get it as vertical as possible and push a thin walled metal tube through.. then run your wires through that, slide the tube off and voila!

i am lookin forward to seeing the LEDs.. i still want to put alarm LEDs on my door panels one day.. stupid cold weather

anyone looking to up grade, check out amazon's deal of the day today.. infinity reference 6.5" speakers.. with a small amount of modding they will fit in the front door

http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27

offer is only good 02/17/09 though

etl, as a matter of fact, most vehicles have good enough wiring to handle 4-channel power...

the only time its really necessary to run new wires is if the wires are a small gauge, which the VX has standard gauge wire (and mine was in pretty good shape)...im pretty confident that they will perform really well with a 4-channel...

ill also have to post some pics of my rear speakers im getting set up
    im trying to get really creative with them...

i've decided that i dont like the location of the stock rear speakers so im moving them to behind the headrests....i actually bought some badarse 4x6 infinity 2 ways and some nice boxes to build them into...
    ill get some pics of those up later

hmm good to know.. knowing that, i still probably wouldve changed the wires, just because its too much of a pain to try to tie into the wires and re-route them to the amp.. i run 3 pairs of RCA cables from the head unit to behind the drivers seat to the amp.. rather than try to run stock wires to the seat i said just put new ones in

now you have me on pins and needles waiting to see what you are doing with the rears.. i was in a buddys jeep cherokee not too long ago and noticed the stock rear speakers are mounted in the ceiling.. that got me thinking... but not enough to even begin to attempt that sort of project lol

well, mine wont be mounted to the ceiling, but they will be mounted to the big pillar that creates our blind spot...all the way up to the top...

When replacing OEM speakers, there is only one place to shop: That's right, CRUTCHFIELD!!!

Crutchfield.com has all the right stuff for replacing OEM speakers, especially their "OEM Speaker Wire Adapters" (which are free with purchase). The OEM Speaker Wire Adapters plug-in between the OEM speaker wire harness and the new replacement speaker. There is absolutely no wire cutting or wire splicing when Crutchfield's OEM Speaker Wire Adapters are used. Once you've used them; you'll refuse to use anything else.

Crutchfield.com website is state-of-the-art and the only place to buy replacement OEM speakers, period. I've purchased many products from Crutchfield for over 30 years, and their quality of products, service, and garanteed satisifaction is unparalled. Check out Crutchfield.com BEFORE you make any purchase regarding electronics. The free w/purchase OEM Speaker Wire Adapters are "priceless".

no offense but are you paid to advertise for them??? that sounded like something you would hear on the radio or see on tv....

crutchfield is a great place to buy electronics..they have great prices and they have great products...

but some people need other people to do the work for them, and some people need to talk to a real person in a store because they dont know what they are looking for...

thats why i have a job...

anyhow, i tried to load the pics as stated earlier..but the site wouldnt let me...i dont know if they are too big or what the issue was..but im gonna try to host them through photobucket

Anyone know where I might find some speaker wire adapters for when I'm installing aftermarket speakers and don't want to splice into the factory harnesses? I swear I've heard of a company that offers those things, but for the life of me I can't remember it's name.

ya, cant remember who it is....

ok, heres some pics, sorry but the site wouldnt support them so they are on photobucket, heres the links-
    tweeter first, nothing special-
    http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=DSC00589.jpg

speaker without the speaker grill, yes i know i need to clean behind where the grill goes-
    http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=DSC00590.jpg

heres the whole door-
    http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=DSC00591.jpg

the speaker glowing, i hope it doesnt look too ricer to everyone...i think it looks nice-
    http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=DSC00592.jpg

one of the 4x6's before i tore into it
    http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=DSC00593.jpg

and side by side-
    http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=DSC00596.jpg

and now the transplanted speaker, keep in mind, this isnt the finished product, i just wanted to get it mounted in there and plug it in to fix any air leaks in the box....
    http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=DSC00597.jpg

oh and if anyone can give some good suggestions on how to make it a finished look, im open to ideas

well, there ya go guys...enjoy

PBKID--- No, I'm not a rep for Crutchfield; just a very satisfied customer for over 30 years. Crutchfield has never let me down, and their toll-free telephone support can answer any questions on-the-spot.

I realize you are a professional car stereo installer at Best Buy (according to your forum profile). Yes, if I was going to have an aftermarket head-unit installed; whereas the VX dashboard might have to be taken apart/dismantled, then I would definately opt for someone like you to do the work for me.

However, replacing OEM automotive speakers are extremely elementary for the rest of us VX'ers and Crutchfield provides step-by-step instructions with their products that are explicit to the VX. Replacing OEM speakers are the quickest, cheapest, and most simple way to improve a vehicle's car stereo sound while maintaining the original OEM head-unit.

Consequently; for those of us who desire to retain the OEM head-unit, but want improved overall sound can accomplish this simple task by doing it ourselves and not have to pay extra money for a professional installer (like you) to perform a simple 3rd grade level task. Let's leave the very complicated stereo installations for you, and the very simple ones for the rest of us. Again guys, check out CRUTCHFIELD.COM before you make any purchase; their website is extraordinary!!!

Of special note-- if the OEM Isuzu Head-Unit is ever replaced on the VX; then it will make the OEM 6-Disc Changer inoperative, as CD commands can only be given by the OEM Head-Unit. This is why many VX owner's put the Ford Taurus Cup-Holder/Coin-Holder in the spot where the 6-Disc CD changer used to be; if they put in an aftermarket head-unit stereo.

A little help for ya kid...

Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

dude, how the heck did you do that??? i cant even figure out how to post my own pics full size like that...(you would think i would know how by now)

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    PBKID--- No, I'm not a rep for Crutchfield; just a very satisfied customer for over 30 years. Crutchfield has never let me down, and their toll-free telephone support can answer any questions on-the-spot.

I realize you are a professional car stereo installer at Best Buy (according to your forum profile). Yes, if I was going to have an aftermarket head-unit installed; whereas the VX dashboard might have to be taken apart/dismantled, then I would definately opt for someone like you to do the work for me.

However, replacing OEM automotive speakers are extremely elementary for the rest of us VX'ers and Crutchfield provides step-by-step instructions with their products that are explicit to the VX. Replacing OEM speakers are the quickest, cheapest, and most simple way to improve a vehicle's car stereo sound while maintaining the original OEM head-unit.

Consequently; for those of us who desire to retain the OEM head-unit, but want improved overall sound can accomplish this simple task by doing it ourselves and not have to pay extra money for a professional installer (like you) to perform a simple 3rd grade level task. Let's leave the very complicated stereo installations for you, and the very simple ones for the rest of us. Again guys, check out CRUTCHFIELD.COM before you make any purchase; their website is extraordinary!!!

Of special note-- if the OEM Isuzu Head-Unit is ever replaced on the VX; then it will make the OEM 6-Disc Changer inoperative, as CD commands can only be given by the OEM Head-Unit. This is why many VX owner's put the Ford Taurus Cup-Holder/Coin-Holder in the spot where the 6-Disc CD changer used to be; if they put in an aftermarket head-unit stereo.
    yes, i completely agree that crutchfield is a great way to get electronics for simple work....

and with a fellow VX'er like myself, im more than willing to help anyone with any type of car audio project they would be interested in....and i could easily take pics and give any type of wiring infomation including color codes....

the front ones were easy enough so i figured there was no need for a walk through...

however when i go to do the 4-channel and the rear speakers im gonna do a walkthrough for anyone interested in putting a 4-channel into their VX....
    unfortunately i already ran most of the wires but ill take some pics on how to properly run the wires and how to attach everything...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    well, mine wont be mounted to the ceiling, but they will be mounted to the big pillar that creates our blind spot...all the way up to the top...
    That's where I put my rears, way better sound imaging, + way more easy than pulling the rear interior panels...