Thread: ABS Module

ABS Module

Greetings..
    Ok .. Bought the VX from Millenium in San Diego in Dec.. ABS light on..
    Part of the deal was dealer fix ABS.. He took it to ? in Chula Vista ..said it was an electrical shop.. ultimately told me it was the ABS module.. took a day then got vehicle back .. dealer showed me the part cost.. $350.. wasnt paying attention to where it was done..(oops)..
    Light comes on as normal and off upon starting vehicle.. havent tried the brakes yet as I just got the vx back yesterday..
    Upon reviewing previous postings.. I see this replacement cost being $3000..
    Am I missing something here?? Did the dealer pull a fast one or ?????
    Another quick question..
    Looking at my drivers seat from the rear.. it sure is twisted to the right..(upper)
    is this normal?? Sitting in it feels fine.. however its odd.. maybe too much "load" in and out of it for a long time? lol
    ohh 1 more thing..
    Millenium did replace the whole drivers window mechanics... the shop told "me" it was $700 ..
    Any input???
    Thanks
    Haggis

if they fixed your abs for 350 you are doing really well.. i was quoted 2500 for the part and like 400-500 for labor

turns out you can do it yourself for much much cheaper (100-150).. there is a guy who re-builds the modules for like 100 bucks.. maybe the shop did that?

take a look at it and see if it looks new or not.. here is a pic of me removing the harness from the module

as far as i know there is no way to disable the ABS without the light turning on unless you cut one of the pins off of the harness.. if they did that i would sue the ever-loving you know what out of them for all sorts of safety violations

Location?

thanks..
    where to find the abs module??.. seems easy to find seeing your hands
    It just seems so inexpensive to have this done..but I am new to this
    Thanks again
    Haggis

its in the engine bay, passenger side towards the firewall

the silver block is part of the abs module.. the black plastic piece attached to it (where the wire harness is connected) is the electrical part.. controls the opening and closing of the valves, that it was typically goes bad

k.. sorry .. thats an easy spot!
    when u say one of the "pins" .. im sure that means one of the 4 on top?
    Anyways.. I appreciate the help .. thanks
    haggis

No the "pins" he's talking about is an electrical connector pin - when you look at where the electical plug comes into the pump and pull it apart, there are metal pins that plug into a receptical - it sounds like he's saying you can break one off to keep it from throwing an ABS code.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

yep, youve got it john, the lines you were referring to on the top of the module are the hydraulic lines for the brakes. if you unplug that connector i show in the first photo, there are a bunch of pins/connectors, finding the proper one and cutting or bending it will prevent the abs light from coming on

i highly doubt a dealership would do something like that... easiest way to tell if they fixed it properly is to find a dirt, gravel or snow covered road with nobody around and nothing to run into.. get the vx up to about 25-30 mph and slam on the brakes

you should feel feedback in the pedal, like a pulsing. it will feel like the pedal is trying to push itself back out and you will hear a very rapid tapping sound that almost sounds like grinding, thats the abs kicking in

if you dont feel that feedback or during the stop the vx back of the vx feels like its moving, you probably dont have abs and you should raise hell with the dealership

on a related topic. does anyone know if the abs operates just on the wheel thats slipping or if it balances between all the wheels? i had to make an emergency stop yesterday and to avoid getting hit by the guy behind me i veered half onto the gravel shoulder, so passenger tires were on gravel, drivers were on dry pavement, definitely felt the abs kick in but to my surprise the vx stopped straight and didnt try to spin or anything

should affect all wheels simultaneously. this is what controls for roll or spin tendencies.

Can you replace black electrical portion only? If so does it require brake bleeding etc or is silver part the onnly area in module braek fluid flows? I ahave a replacement for mine but if I can jsut try the black part first will save time and dime.

Yes... its possible to just remove the electrical portion to avoid brake bleeding but getting it apart from the silver part is very tough you can only see three of the six screws you need to remove.. i messed with that for probably 45 before giving up.. i could probably swap the whole thing plus bleed the brakes in an hour with a helper over the age of 10

iirc someone did do it that way but just broke the bottom screws off

bleeding your brakes is a necessary routine maintenance anyway

is that not covered by your warranty?

No warranty coverage unfortunately...It seems anythibng Isuzu can exclude they will. Must say I have learned a valuable lesson on the utter uselessness of warranty other than catastrophic enging failure, tanny or rear end which is not common..