Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: STS Turbo kit...

STS Turbo kit...

Well since no one is making a s/c now, I was thinking it might bea better idea to look for a turbo system. A few things came to my mind when i contacted STS about it. The first is, even though to maximize the power increase from a turbo you need an intercooler, it is not necessary. I would base this for 2 reasons with our cars, one, our transmission cannot take the kind of power you would want with an intercooler, and two it gets expensive when you start talkingin about adding an i/c and then beefing up the transmission. So there seems to be a common fear of "turbo lag" as i have read through alot of the posts wondering what the general consensus was towards a t/c is. Turbo lag will always be present, granted can be reduced to about nothing in some cases but truthfully, what would it matter with our cars, we are neither racing/auto-xing them except for maybe a select few. So turbo lag to me seems to be a mute point, more power is more power! So back to me contacting STS. I wrote them an email inquireing about their universal system and whether they had looked into a VX kit or the idea of making a mock kit based on the universal kit. Hopefully they will provide some insight as to what can be done for the US market. As for me a turbo kit with a rear mount seems to be a good bet, after looking at the under body it seems to have ample room for the tubing. I have seent he "ONLY" turboed VX from Japan, another members and the MC one... they look clean, but there is three times the space in our engine bay as previous cars i have owned and systems have been designed for those cars with out altering the body! Which makes me think about a "simple" under hood mounted t/c. This summer when i am in Fortworth i will be looking into the fab of one and seeing what can be done from scrap. I read up on th system being fone by jdm monkey, and will be very interested in seeing his progress and maybe seeing what else can be done to add to his work and provide a 2nd t/c VX . Also I am going to look a lot further into this with STS if they allow. I jsut wanted to Share my thoughts on the topic and hopefully something can come out for a more "mass" produced power adder.
    Last edited by killinformula : 02/05/2009 at 09:19 PM

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Yea i read that whole thread as well... well in all actuallity i read EVERY thread that mentions, discussed, threw out the word/concept of a t/c and the s/c ones as well... Ive been busy reading

I really wanted to know the feelings of the board about it. As well as read the comments, alot of good ones and i have booked marked for futre reference.

Cool...when I found it, I wanted to post it, if for no other reason, to share pics of Morgantec's MAD fab skills...

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    ya i dont know if morgantec is still around, but he lives nearby me..and he actually proposed to me once to build a supercharger for the VX off of mine....

at the time that he asked me to do this, my VX was a daily driver and i couldnt afford to give it up for the amount of time he was looking for....

nowadays i would LOVE to give it to him for a month as long as it had a supercharger on it when it came back....
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by killinformula View Post
    Turbo lag will always be present, granted can be reduced to about nothing in some cases but truthfully, what would it matter with our cars, we are neither racing/auto-xing them except for maybe a select few.

So why go to the cost of a Turbo if your not going to use it? It's a lot of power and the lag from having no intercooler will drive you nuts !! It will never get on boost off road, town driving etc. Also, Can you use the ECU setup from the super charger to work with the tub ? If not theres alot more expense with mapping a new chip etc. However it is food for thought and with a 3.5 ltr engine theres definately scope for upping the power without damage to the internals. What psi are the S/C running ??
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    There is no ECU remapping with the Alpine Dev S/C kit - stock ECU, injectors, FPR, etc. Just new plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by VehiGAZ View Post
    There is no ECU remapping with the Alpine Dev S/C kit - stock ECU, injectors, FPR, etc. Just new plugs.

Doesn't it run lean ??

Quote Originally Posted by crotchrocket View Post
    Doesn't it run lean ??
    With mine, a little. But not enough to bog or crimp power or alter emissions.
    The ECU "seems" to study and resolve any issues it may cause after a few trips around the block.

In my experience with it though, I think there are a few more parts that should be replaced with the install of the S/C justfor the sake of it, but in plain truth, they are not totally necessary.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

STS is local to me...

They do some crazy stuff, unique methods, but they're proven at the local track I had a friend who had them do a custom on his LS6 (blew his LS1) Camaro. He was in the 11's at our elevation 4400'.

Pretty awesome...

I have been a member of camaro/trans am boards for 8 years now, and the Rear mount STS kit has been a debated topic and beaten to death... with it now convincing a lot of sceptics that it is a great system! It is proven, and has been tested many times over. With a sysmple 3-=60 hp increase, i think that the pcm can learn to recognize what banks it needs to adjust and by how much. There seems to be quite a few who have a s/c with no additional tuning. So lets think about the difference, A s/c forces air utilizing a belt drive as where a t/c utilizes exhaust flow... Same concept, different method, so i sincerely doubt there would be a need for a custom tune. Granted there are always precaustions needing to be taken when increasing the air intake. One is definetely a sparkplug change to be able to handle to mixture/heat/ignition, and two could possibly be a larger fuel injector, (i will be looking more into this).

So From previous posts in this thread and previous threads, the main concerns are the following Issues;
    1) Worried that at lowspeed/rpm rock crawling/off roading the turbo will now spool up and provode any/little power
    2) lag time as far as simple city driving
    3) clearly acceleration.
    4)weight/height/bodyroll seems to be a concern
    5)rear mount system power gains
    6) tranny life
    7)cost
    any more? so we can start discussing them and their solutions

I really wanted to know the feelings of the board about it
    My thoughts are why isn't anyone ever interested in finding(and installing) a tranny to be able to fully utilize a T/C or S/C to their full potential? We always seem to just settle for making mediocre horsepower gains because our trans always chokes out on us. Maybe once we had that, a T/C or S/C that threw down some serious numbers would be more appealing to everyone.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

My turbo kit is almost done. I'll post pics and vids when ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    My thoughts are why isn't anyone ever interested in finding(and installing) a tranny to be able to fully utilize a T/C or S/C to their full potential? We always seem to just settle for making mediocre horsepower gains because our trans always chokes out on us. Maybe once we had that, a T/C or S/C that threw down some serious numbers would be more appealing to everyone.
    Mo$t are intere$ted, it'$ ju$t that Money thing that get$ in the way...

I think part of it has to do with the stock tranny, the ecu.. the lack of ability to reprogram. the $$$$.. the way the price of theze vehicles have dropped in the last year.. and all the people that talk about doing things and then stop.

to rowhard for stepping up for the skid plates