Thread: Fog lights/headlights

Fog lights/headlights

My fog lights and headlights are about as bright as a cigar cherry, any favorites from the long time VXers? Also so I need to remove the front bumper to change these things?

The small fog lights can be removed with the bumper untouched,if you can get your arm thru the engine bay all the way.
    Dakar was just the begining.

A lot of people run Malibu 18 watt bulbs from Home Depot, Lowes or somewhere similar in their fog lights. They are brighter than stock and cheap and easy to get. Some people have used LED setups, but rumor has it they aren't that bright. I also know if you do a search you'll find something on some direct fit fog lights that actually use a glass lens intead of our current plastic setup. That setup also uses more powerful bulbs. For headlights you are looking at sylvania silverstars the bulb type is H4. The better option is dual beam HID lights also H4 bulb type which you can snag off of ebay for a good price.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

im running silverstar headlights and piaa W2 bulbs in the fog light spot.. they match a nice white color and are pretty bright.. the silverstars do burn out kind of quickly though (about a year)

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    A lot of people run Malibu 18 watt bulbs from Home Depot, Lowes or somewhere similar in their fog lights. They are brighter than stock and cheap and easy to get. Some people have used LED setups, but rumor has it they aren't that bright. I also know if you do a search you'll find something on some direct fit fog lights that actually use a glass lens intead of our current plastic setup. That setup also uses more powerful bulbs. For headlights you are looking at sylvania silverstars the bulb type is H4. The better option is dual beam HID lights also H4 bulb type which you can snag off of ebay for a good price.
    Tone sells HID kits from his site...
    Also, search for Ryans (little beast) write up on hi-lo HID's, he's had some very high praise for the company he bought his from...(Xenonrider, IIRC)

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    the silverstars do burn out kind of quickly though (about a year)
    I've had the same experience with Silverstars, pre HID, ...

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    i took my bumper off and changed my fogs to piaa x1100 (if i remember right)...if you want a write up i know there was one done by someone on how to build brackets from cheap parts from home depot (thats what i did, it was cheap and easy)....

tone sells a great HID kit for our VX and its nice to have him around to ask questions and if you have any issues i know he is great on getting you the right stuff to make it work...

i personally bought my HID's from--->>>
    http://www.ddmtuning.com/hidkihidbuhi.html

$175 for lifetime warranty, 55w ballast, H4 hi/low beam, and shipping...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

maybe a great thread finder like dub or someone could find the write up on how to build brackets for the fogs...

i want to say that maybe tone did the write up???

if it helps, it involves two joist hangers (i think thats what they are called) stacked on top of each other..

The writeup you are looking for was done by Moncha. It's in the how to section under lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder View Post
    The writeup you are looking for was done by Moncha. It's in the how to section under lighting.
    this is Moncha how to: http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...ewarticle&id=2

I took it one step farther and converted them to HID's: http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...warticle&id=42
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

good call ascinder, i thought it was one of those guys...

http://www.xenonrider.com/products/h...hid_kits.shtml

Just call him and place order over the phone and he should give you a discount or tell him one of us on here referred you and he should give you the discount as well. He will work with you on anything you need.

Isn't daver or someone running these?

http://www.modacar.com/products/Acur...00+Series.html

This the route I plan to go when I find time. I just ordered my bixenon HIDs.