Thread: OBD2/DTC Reader + Code Recognition help please

OBD2/DTC Reader + Code Recognition help please

IS the JDM VX (1997 - 99 ) compatable with OBD2 readers ??

Guys,

My brain is exploding trauling through all previouse posts about this subject and i can't find the information i need.

Basically my engine check light is on, i want to get a OBD2 reader to see what the problem is. Is there a list that i can cross reference the DTI code with and see what the fault is, or do i need to get a OBD2 reader with a built in display to tell me the problem?

i.e one of these http://www.talktomycar.co.uk/product...ders/mj004.htm with a paper list of the error codes to look at

Or this http://www.talktomycar.co.uk/product...ders/mj006.htm that (i think ?) will do all that for me.

Is it worth the extra money to get the better reader anyway? It gives live feed back on O2 sensors etc.

Thanks
    Last edited by crotchrocket : 02/11/2009 at 05:19 AM
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

Just found this for the codes

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ault+code+list

but don't know if my car is compatible ?????????
    Last edited by crotchrocket : 02/11/2009 at 06:26 AM

Quote Originally Posted by crotchrocket View Post
    IS the JDM VX (1997 - 99 ) compatable with OBD2 readers ??
    I'm not sure about JDM standards. OBD-II has been manditory for all cars sold in the US since 1996. I'm not sure if they are left on in other countries, or removed or just repurposed. Do you have a OBD-II port? It is a big D-shaped black connector to the lower left of the driver's foot well on the US versions. I'm not sure where it would be for a JDM one.

It appears, the protocols are the same, but different countries set the redlines different, so the lights come on at different points, but it sounds like a reader MIGHT still work...

I can tell you about different levels of readers, though. The most basic just give you the 5-character code. Some only give you the numbers, and skip the first letter -- you should probably stay away from those.

The one I have (Actron CP9175) will also read the freeze-frame data that gets recorded when a code is stored. I haven't found that additional feature useful at all. The higher ones do show live data, like you say, but at that point, I would consider getting one that plugs into a laptop instead.

Don't bother with the Davis CarChip. Neat idea, but the entry level ones just aren't practical for using for maintenance and repair.

So, I'd get a basic 5-character reader, which you can get for a little as $35, or spring for the full laptop solution.

Lastly, around here, you can drop into many auto parts stores and they will read the code for no charge. They'll try to sell you the part to fix it, of course, even if it is the wrong part... but you'll at least know the code.

Thanks, i looked and it does have the connector block, It was my understanding that if it was not OBD2 compatible it would have a 3 pin socket instead like the Trooper?? However, the guy selling the readers said that still may not be the case. He has start dates for OBD2 in uk, european and US markets but not JDM markets. So 1997 is borderline for the uk. I have read someone elses post about a 1995 trooper 3.2 which had faults and fault codes but can't find out how they got the fault codes. If i'm correct the Troopers were OBD2 compatable after 2006 ??

I'm guessing the only way to find out is to buy one.

I'm guessing the only way to find out is to buy one.
    Borrow one.

I had a really helpfull call from greasemonkey (Steve) today. who not only helped with this but offered help for anything that may go wrong!!! It seams the JDM does support OBD2 and has a port next to bonnet release. I have ordered a Scan Guage 2, it will fit in the dash, give me trip / milage / mpg / live feeds read error codes etc etc

Wasn't that cheap but seams a good piece of kit and a decent solution. I can also move it to other vehicles in future.

http://www.scangauge2.co.uk/

I had a really helpfull call from greasemonkey (Steve) today. who not only helped with this but offered help for anything that may go wrong!!! It seams the JDM does support OBD2 and has a port next to bonnet release. I have ordered a Scan Guage 2, it will fit in the dash, give me trip / milage / mpg / live feeds read error codes etc etc

Wasn't that cheap but seams a good piece of kit and a decent solution. I can also move it to other vehicles in future.

http://www.scangauge2.co.uk/
    very cool.. many of us here in the states have the scangauge 2... i have mine mounted flush in the ecu cover

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    very cool.. many of us here in the states have the scangauge 2... i have mine mounted flush in the ecu cover
    Thats where Steve said to mount it. But where is that ?? lol

Thats where Steve said to mount it. But where is that ?? lol

Blimby, thats a bit flash !!!!!!

Thanks for the help. The scan guage arrived today!!!!!!!!!! Will fit it later

Hi just above the one in the picture we have a cubby hole in the JDM VX - i made a small hole in the rear of the cubby and posted the wire through it -

cheers
    Steve
    Isuzu Vehicross 3.2 V6 24 Valve

Oi Mate, Another option for mounting is what I did. I tossed the stock cd player since it was crap and installed my head unit in its spot, then installed the scan gauge in the top hole where I could see it. I digital readout of MPH is handy since I have oversize tires and have a 6% difference from real speed verses speedo readout.

If you ever drive your VX during the week (not Monday) to Cambridge, stop by the B&O shop at 29 Magdalene Street. David, the owner is a mate of mine and was our best man. He has never seen a VX before other then pictures of mine.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.