Thread: Isuzu Trooper Marches On

Isuzu Trooper Marches On

So I was in Boca Raton, FL for a family gathering last weekend. During which time, I borrowed my mom's 1996 Trooper (160,000 miles on the clock). I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised to find the Trooper running strong. I went on the highway with it at 80mph with no problem. The truck idles a little low which I was concerned about, and it's bleeding oil like a stuck pig underneath the engine (I'm not sure what is going on, the entire bottom end of the engine was wet with oil and dripping). Strangely enough, the oil level was full and the oil was really clean and not black at all. My mom said she gets the oil changed every 2 months, whether she goes 30 miles or 3000. Anyway, it was cool to poke around under the hood and check things out now that I have a little Isuzu experience under my belt.

On another note, I started using the Mobile-1 High Mileage oil in my VX and it might just be in my head but the VX seems to be running better than ever on it.

Bart

You have oil in your head?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have a Sith sense....I see Darth people...

How’s the body, is there any rust?
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak View Post
    How’s the body, is there any rust?
    Actually, being a Florida vehicle, there is minimal rust, but the clear coat on the hood and roof is getting pretty bad. The interior and body is basically 100% straight, no major dents or scratches.

Bart

My boss has one that's about the same year with over 200K on the clock... and his old trooper prior to this one has almost 300K on it (sold it to a local still driving it)

Both vehicles have the 3.2... was it a better powerplant??

The 92-97 3.2L doesn't have the oil burning issues that the 98+ motors did. For example, in 2008 my Trooper went to Moab and back (almost 3000 miles), with a week of wheeling in the middle, and burned about 1/4 of a quart (motor has about 125K miles on it).

OTOH, the newer motors make more power than the 175-190hp of the older generation 3.2Ls.
    95 Trooper with a buncha stuff nobody here cares about...

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
    The 92-97 3.2L doesn't have the oil burning issues that the 98+ motors did. For example, in 2008 my Trooper went to Moab and back (almost 3000 miles), with a week of wheeling in the middle, and burned about 1/4 of a quart (motor has about 125K miles on it).

OTOH, the newer motors make more power than the 175-190hp of the older generation 3.2Ls.
    Hey Swede,

Well, they may not burn it, but they sure do leak it!!! Any idea where to look? She had the head gasket replaced about a year or so ago, but now its dripping pretty good underneath. Do you think it could be the pan gasket or maybe something worse? I know, I know, impossible to guess without looking at it, but maybe you know of some common stuff?

Thanks - Bart

PS - How much do you know about the even older Trooper engines? I am probably going to buy and 88-90 this summer once the VX is paid off and turn it into a full time wheeler/trail banger.

I had a '94 trooper that had over 250k miles when I donated it in '04, I think. The guy who picked it up said it was one of the cleanest cars that he'd ever picked up. It was still running like a champ. That's why I bought my vehicross and it just rolled 158k on it.

Quote Originally Posted by digital_will View Post
    I had a '94 trooper that had over 250k miles when I donated it in '04, I think. The guy who picked it up said it was one of the cleanest cars that he'd ever picked up. It was still running like a champ. That's why I bought my vehicross and it just rolled 158k on it.
    Yup, that is what I am talking about!!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    Hey Swede,

Well, they may not burn it, but they sure do leak it!!! Any idea where to look? She had the head gasket replaced about a year or so ago, but now its dripping pretty good underneath. Do you think it could be the pan gasket or maybe something worse? I know, I know, impossible to guess without looking at it, but maybe you know of some common stuff?
    I am not aware of any common leaks other than valve cover gaskets, which results in oil in the spark plug tubes. So, you're back to standard leak diagnostics...

PS - How much do you know about the even older Trooper engines? I am probably going to buy and 88-90 this summer once the VX is paid off and turn it into a full time wheeler/trail banger.
    Dunno a lot about first gens... I would stick with that 88-90 era for the stronger 10/12 bolt axles vs the 8/10 combo in the older first gens. AFAIK the 2.6L Isuzu 4-cylinder is about the same power as the GM 2.8L V6 (not a lot in either case). However, if you will want to swap in more power the V6 provides the advantage of a bellhousing that will relatively easily accommodate the Camaro 3.4L.

Quote Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
    I am not aware of any common leaks other than valve cover gaskets, which results in oil in the spark plug tubes. So, you're back to standard leak diagnostics...

Dunno a lot about first gens... I would stick with that 88-90 era for the stronger 10/12 bolt axles vs the 8/10 combo in the older first gens. AFAIK the 2.6L Isuzu 4-cylinder is about the same power as the GM 2.8L V6 (not a lot in either case). However, if you will want to swap in more power the V6 provides the advantage of a bellhousing that will relatively easily accommodate the Camaro 3.4L.
    Cool, thanks for the info!

Bart