Quote Originally Posted by mdwyer View Post
I really wish I could talk you out of this one... Akira is probably the most popular import from Japan, but it is far from the best, in my not-so-humble opinion. There's some stuff that is so much better. On the other hand, there are oceans of stuff out there that is just unwatchable.
First off, please site examples of "better". Personally, I think Akira is not only an awesome story, but quite possibly the greatest feat of conventional animation ever in history. The motorcycle scene alone, is incredible and enough to keep this movie on my top 10 list. I have read the manga, which is almost even better than the film and one of my all time favorite graphic novels, but the film is just fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by mdwyer View Post
If you're just looking for an animated sci-fi movie, try the 2004 version of "Appleseed".
Well, I have to say I respectfully disagree. IMO, digital animation has its place now, but cannot even hold a candle to conventional, hand drawn and painted animation. I have seen Appleseed, Ex Machina and I recently watched Vexille. All three are entertaining films, but are nothing special to me. I really like Masamune Shirow's first Ghost In The Shell film, but it pretty much stops there for me with his stuff. Some of my other favortie anime films include:

Ninja Scroll
Tekkon Kinkreet
Millenium Actress
My Neighbour Totoro
Spirited Away (pretty much anything Miyazaki really)

I have to say I love the Animatrix as well. Some of the best stuff I have ever seen in there. I watch loads of anime, so I would defiinitely be interested in what you think is good...and I am not talking about anime serials, that is a whole other can of worms.

Bart