Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Easy TOD off switch!!

Easy TOD off switch!!

Is it just me or does it look like all you need to do is connect a switch between pin 1 and pin 12 of the input harness on the TOD ECU to make a TOD off switch?

Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

Tad, Nazrat on here, has his disconnected. All you need to do is cut the blue wire under the passanger seat I think. He wired it up to a 4wd switch so he can turn it on and off. It just shuts off the electromagnetic clutch, so if you have manual hubs you cna completely seperate the front drivetrain and have true 2WD.
    Ryan Christiansen

Trooper Skid Plates, OME 912's, Stric9 Sliders, Load Warrior with extension, Apline sub in rear door, Apline front speakers, Alpine head unit, Definity Dakota MT 285/75 R16, Aussie Lockers Front and Rear, 4.77 gears and Warn Manual Hubs.http://picasaweb.google.com/RyanVehiX

Quote Originally Posted by NJ99VX View Post
    Tad, Nazrat on here, has his disconnected. All you need to do is cut the blue wire under the passanger seat I think. He wired it up to a 4wd switch so he can turn it on and off. It just shuts off the electromagnetic clutch, so if you have manual hubs you cna completely seperate the front drivetrain and have true 2WD.
    Yeah I’ve seen it done like that before, it just doesn’t seem like that’s the right way to do it. If this setup works it will not only shut off the TOD the way it was designed to be shut off, it will also show that the TOD is off on the TOD indicator on the dash. It would make it just that much cooler.

Ok guys,all this seems interesting,but what about the cons adding this 2WD switch to the TOD ? Because the US version didn't came with this feature at all

If the switch turn off the clutch & you have no manual hubs wouldn't this cause problems down the road ?

I'll love to have the TOD off because 95% of my driving is in the city,about 12-15 miles per day plus the possible gas-saving this mod can bring along with the less front drivetrain wear.

I think the better way to make sure this mod can positivetly work 100% is to get the trooper's TOD schematics & match it to our TOD to see if this 4WD to 2WD really works without any possible issues in the future.
    Dakar was just the begining.

I have done a lot of reading of OLD posts from Nazrat and others who have done this. One Con would be: Tone did the Mod and snapped a front drive shaft. It does not make our truck a true 2wd. We are simply fooling the e clutch.

I will be doing this as soon as I get a clear cut instruction and some more investigation. I plan to do the 4wheel hi option as well. One instruction I found was for a 2000(trooper I think) and I guess they have different color coding on the wire than a 99.

Wow that's not good at all.

It seems that the only way you can get really 2WD is swapping the trooper's TOD to the VX.

There's few TOD pin functions that differs from each other,that makes me assume that the software is also different.

Pin # 5 (ADC) axle disconnect output on the trooper's TOD VX #5 pin (NC) Not use.

Pin # 12 on the trooper's TOD (TOD switch input) VX's TOD pin # 12 (Not use)

Pin # 10 on the trooper's TOD ( Axle switch input) VX's TOD pin # 10 (not use)

Pin # 14 on the trooper's TOD (D-G map recognition input) VX's TOD pin # 14 (not use)

Pin # 17 on the trooper's TOD ( US/JAP destination recognition input) VX's TOD pin # 17 (not use)

So probably there's no room for such mod for our VX
    Last edited by Gussie2000 : 01/11/2009 at 06:18 PM

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    this has been discussed multiple times and eventually we come up with the decision that even if you electronically disconnect it the axle is still connected it just isnt variable at that point...

im sure some of the vets will chime in with more technical info...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

I’ve read everything on this site that has anything to do with TOD shut off and there’s nothing like this. Thanks to taylorRichies Isuzu workshop manuals post I was able to cross referents the differences between the TOD setup on the Trooper and the VX. I’m hoping that just because pin 12 is not being used that it doesn’t mean that the option doesn’t exist. I’m going to find the part number for the TOD ECU tomorrow and if it matches the Troopers then I’m going to take this to the next step.

P.S. I do have manual hubs so I should be able to test this safely.
    Last edited by kodiak : 01/11/2009 at 08:56 PM

awesome, if you get it working i would LOVE to do the same...

i plan on towing one day with my VX but i dont wanna fry the transfer case because im pulling a boat...i know i have plenty of power, i just worry about messing up the case...

Maybe one of our over-sea's VXer's can add some input, since there's has the OEM 2wd Mode. Wiring diagram, shop manual etc...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

From Mbeach's Research:
    I got as far as a paper prototype before I realized one critical design feature of the BW transfer case - the ball-ramp mechanism. This is basically a mechanical clutch that physically connects the front and rear driveshafts when the speed differential is too great. This means no donuts, dynos, or burnouts. And really, that's all that I wanted to do.
    ---

No matter how you over ride and try for 2WD you're at risk of breaking stuffs. The controller I was working on with my brother would have put a minimum of 5% front transfer to help minimize potential damage.

short of physically disconnecting the front, we can not have true 2WD.

The problem isn't with our TOD unit, it's with the differences in our Mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn View Post
    I have done a lot of reading of OLD posts from Nazrat and others who have done this. One Con would be: Tone did the Mod and snapped a front drive shaft. It does not make our truck a true 2wd. We are simply fooling the e clutch.
    That is where it seemed to end right there. It looks like we can trick the ECU, but no matter what, the front will still get power. I think what it came down to was, when TOD told the drivetrain to give them more power, it thought it was but in reality it wasn't giving any, but it still didn't stop the front from getting the minimal. It still wasn't a trye RWD. I could be wrong in my assumption from the tests, but that's what I got from it.

I think he dyno'd it too IIRC. No power gain, no fuel efficiency change. Instead, you have 2 wheels pushing 4k worth of weight instead of 4 pushing and pulling with better distribution. I don't know that it is even worth it at that point.

Maybe that old thread can be dug up or Tone can ring in with what he can remember.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Quote Originally Posted by VCrossfan View Post
    Maybe one of our over-sea's VXer's can add some input, since there's has the OEM 2wd Mode. Wiring diagram, shop manual etc...
    Well, from everything I read, it sounds like it is not a very good idea. But, if there is any hope, I think the above would be a good place to start. Either way, it would be interesting to see how different their setup is.

Bart

Well so far I haven’t found the part number for the Trooper TOD ECU. This is a layout of the two different TOD systems. It looks like even with the clutch pack disengaged there will still be a minuscule amount of friction in the clutch pack. So there will always be a little power going to the front. My plan is to have the TOD go into 2H in the way it was designed to go into 2H and not try and trick it. If the ECUs match and I figure out WTH the axel position swtch is for. I’ll start doing some test.

P.S. Some info on the JDM TOD would be extremely helpful.

what about literally changing the underneath of the VX to a trooper?? so it would have all the components of a trooper TOD??