Thread: CV problems?

CV problems?

How bad is the CV issue with moderate lift? I've searched and see lots of posts about boot problems and CV problems, but I can't get a true sense of how bad the issue is.

What's a reasonable expectation for a 2"-3" lifted VX? Is it a yearly issue, couple years issue, monthly, etc....What should my expectations be?? (mostly street driving, if that matters)

lifting 3 inches will put more stress on your CVs for sure, almost everyone with a 3 inch or more lift has had at least one boot tear, sometimes its not for months or years though, some have a torn boot before their vx even makes it out of the driveway

i have been hearing some recently that the cvs can handle 2 inches without much issues... seems hard to believe that 1 inch would make that much difference but its gotta be better than 3.. if you drive mostly street anyway why not go with a happy medium and use 2" spring spacers in the rear and crank the front torsion bars for a 2" lift

I think the problem has not been a constant. In my experience I had one tear after several times going into the mountains after lifting. My CV boots looked like originals so I think that it was a combo of old boots and stretching them out farther than they had been.

I replaced all mine with the Mechatechs then and have not had a tear since. On the way to Moab one of the clamps came loose and cause my boot to come off the cup but no tear.

I have what equaled out to be about a 2.5 inch lift I think.

I am lifted with the OME912s in the rear and roughly 9-10 cranks of the T-bars up front. I would say my VX has a very slight rake. Knock on wood, but so far, my boots are holding up.

IMO, I think it is a result of badly dried out boots and too much lift. I think if you crank your front end up more than 10 cranks, you are going to increase the angle on your CVs exponentially with every turn, and the more lift, the worse the angle.

IMO, if you lift, your CV boots tearing is something you have to be mentally and financially ready to take care of when/if it happens, but the lift is well worth it. Once you lift you will never go back. It just feels "right" to have the VX up a little higher with bigger rubber.

Bart

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    I am lifted with the OME912s in the rear and roughly 9-10 cranks of the T-bars up front. I would say my VX has a very slight rake. Knock on wood, but so far, my boots are holding up.

IMO, I think it is a result of badly dried out boots and too much lift. I think if you crank your front end up more than 10 cranks, you are going to increase the angle on your CVs exponentially with every turn, and the more lift, the worse the angle.

IMO, if you lift, your CV boots tearing is something you have to be mentally and financially ready to take care of when/if it happens, but the lift is well worth it. Once you lift you will never go back. It just feels "right" to have the VX up a little higher with bigger rubber.

Bart

Yep...after lifting with 912's & a one inch spring spacer in the rear, & about a dozen rotations on the T-bar adjusters, my stock boots lasted about 1-1/2 years before tearing.
    I had anticipated & accepted the fact that they would eventually go TU, & had a set of mec-a-tecs from www.independent4x.com at the ready.

Using Billys handy write up, I was able to do it myself & $ave BIG money!

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Yep...after lifting with 912's & a one inch spring spacer in the rear, & about a dozen rotations on the T-bar adjusters, my stock boots lasted about 1-1/2 years before tearing.
    I had anticipated & accepted the fact that they would eventually go TU, & had a set of mec-a-tecs from www.independent4x.com at the ready.

That sounded like a commercial uncle dub...

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn View Post
    That sounded like a commercial uncle dub...
    LOL...nope, just my experience on that topic put in print...

However, I DO believe it's just plain smart to do business with companies that support the brand we drive, by providing us with development of product we're interested in buying...

That's also why I believe it's a good idea to support a site that has the potential to $ave you hundred$, if not thou$and$ of dollars in repairs...

Ask yourself (no, not you personally CrnCnn), where you would go for the kind of info, advice & good humor you find around here, if VXinfo were no longer in existence?

Now THAT sounded like a commercial...

Now THAT sounded like a commercial...
    Yeah, but not as good as this:

"You'll say WOW everytime with SHAMWOW!"

Bart

Where abouts is the link for changing the boots? Do you have one?
    Speed Thrills, Boredom Kills!!

The how2 on replacing the CV boots is in ... wait for it ... the how2 section. It's Billy's write up but I converted it to pdf so that you can print a copy to have handy during the install.

There's also a write up on installing diff drop brackets there too. This one was written by StarChild from an Isuzu forum but I converted that one to pdf as well.

Both are jobs that you can do in your driveway if you are willing to spend a full day at it and don't mind getting really dirty.

My lift was done by the PO. I'm pretty sure it's a full 3" in front. It put my CVs at such a harsh angle that the half shaft was almost touching the outer race. It's no suprise that the CV boots can't handle that bad of an angle. I was killing CV boots about every 6 months till I dropped my differential 2". I haven't had any problems since.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Great thanks, don't worry i'll be under the car getting dirty all weekend if i can......sitting under a car in Sussex is ALOT better than being in my office in London, lol