Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Great light bars for roof....

"you should take some closer pics so i can see what you came up with..."

LOL - I can't believe you said that with a straight face.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Nice job, way to innovate using what you have!

Now, I can't help but ask, your lights look like they point up a little, can you adjust them? I had the same problem with the light bar my friend made. Originally, there was nothing but the posts and the frame, and when mounted, my lights pointed up at 45°. The Hella lights are adjustable, but not that much. So, I had to have him make a triangular mounting to make the posts stick out straight. Hard to explain, but you can see the flat stock in this picture used to make the main frame of the mounting bar sit at 90° to the ground.

I need to come up with and idea for reverse lights next...

Bart

yea they were pointed up at first.. that was just poor alignment on my part.. i have since adjusted them so the two in the center hit the ground maybe 100 ft straight ahead.. and the side ones hit maybe 30-35 ft away at like a 25º angle from forward

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    god i wish i could get some money to get some lights worked out like this but they are pretty low on my list of stuff to do...with HID's i dont really NEED them, but i think they would be helpful....

sliders and skidplates are first on the list...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    god i wish i could get some money to get some lights worked out like this but they are pretty low on my list of stuff to do...with HID's i dont really NEED them, but i think they would be helpful....

sliders and skidplates are first on the list...
    Yeah, the HIDs really are nice. My buddy told me I can get HID ballast kits for my Hellas which will make them even brighter than they are now. Which would be nice, but at $35 each I can wait, since I need 4. Eventually I will do this though. They just make a huge difference when driving at night. The stock headlights don't cut it.

Bart

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    yup, the stock headlight is ok, but the HID's make them amazing...

i actually found some reasonably priced driving lights that come with the HID set up...gonna pick up a set for myself to mount to the front of my VX...

I bought the kit off of ebay from hong kong, was a little under 50 dollars, got here in 4 days, and they are amazing. Its a dual beam kit, but I could not get the halogen brights to work, but you don't need them anyway, the HIDs are brighter. Their customer service was great, there is a slight wiring mod you have to do, on their plugs, not the factory, otherwise, its plug and play. Everything fit perfect. There is a one year warranty on the bulbs, but even if you had to buy a whole new kit, its cheaper than silverstars.
    Let the flaming begin...

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

1999 (2001) Radiant Red 157/175 "lil pwny"
    Quote Originally Posted by castigan View Post
    ok so heres my little half day project, saw these at a shop here in new zealand. and im glad i got them..they are great and look good too. almost a perfect fit. no drilling needed and come pre-wired. just need to connect + and - from battery or high beam... the wires run perfectly down the window under the door seals.
    they are 4 55w spotlights, can switch the outside two or inside two or all 4 at once. metal cases for the lamps on a plastic/abs base. lights can be adjusted up n down etc.. and have rubber surrounds to keep water out. all held on by 3M mounting tape which they come with also.
    i did do some mods, i epoxied the screws that hold the lamps at the bottom so they can then be adjusted while mounted, and i re-wrapped the wires to make them lay flat when under the door seals. other than that these units fit right out of the box.

i can buy and ship to USA for around $150us if any of you guys over there want some. have a paypal account to make it easy. plus ill donate $5 from each sale to the site for all the good work.
    ]

Hey mate, could you pm the brand and store where you got these from? i like to see if i can get them on this side of the pond. if i am unable to get them here i may pm you about getting some shipped to Oz if that is ok.

Cheers

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...

Wink Please, please, please!!

I am MORE than interested! This is my email: snowwolf83@hotmail.com. You can also private message me on this site as I'm doing everything I can to get my VX fixed without pumping anymore money than I need to in it!

I have a question though: if you look at my last post in the VX Troubleshooting thread, I completely forgot to mention the problem with my fuse board. The guy that previously owned my vehicle had ghetto-rigged a LOT of stuff to the fuse board and it wasn't until I went through an entire box of fuses that I decided to figure out what the hell was wrong. Apparently the previous owner rigged a wire that connects the "trunk popper" button to the same fuse that runs the internal and head lights.

Point is, I want to add those lights to the top of my VX, but I don't want to screw up my fuse board more than it has already been screwed with. What do you suggest?

-VXRaven

I never like the idea of even touching the fuse board for any reason.

If i add roof lights to my VX (which i'll deffinetly do) i'll just run a independent wiring from the battery + terminal,run a - wire to ground or chassis,add a in-line fuse to the the + wire,run it the wiring thru the firewall & add a switch to the dash,that's all.

Isn't necessary to mess with the fuse board at all to add roof lights.

I added a nice set of blue LED light nozzles without touching the fuse board.

I just attached the nozzle's + wire to the left + head light wire,add a 0.5 amps in-line fuse to it & run the - wire to ground,the LED's lits up only when my head lights are on which are barely use.

I'll posting few pics this week end in my gallery's album.
    Dakar was just the begining.

for those curious/ who want to recreate it here is a CAD model of my light rack setup

Green is the yakima loadwarrior
    Yellow are yakima round bars attached to my roof rails
    Red is the square tube mounts that support the light rack
    Blue is the light rack itself
    yellow/blue are the lights themselves
    orange is the yakima connectors i used

Last edited by etlsport : 01/27/2009 at 01:25 PM