Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2001 VX vs. 2001 Rodeo Sport - Make Up My Mind!

2001 VX vs. 2001 Rodeo Sport - Make Up My Mind!

O.K. - here's my situation: I am GONNA buy another SUV, to replace my current "work car" when it comes off-lease - an '07 Chrysler 300C SRT8. Need an SUV (read: "hitch") to haul 1-2 bicycles w/my fancy receiver-mounted bike rack; plus I like the look of an SUV, plus the higher seating position. My "fun car" is an '88 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe; also be aware that my wife and I have no kids or dogs to haul around. Her car is a Lexus SC430, so *I* will be "the one" to have the 4-seater for the very occasional times we need one. My driving needs are fairly limited, since I work out of my house - probably 6-8K miles/year total. I'm 53 years old, and I want something reasonably "cool" to drive, but I will NOT pay more than ~$20K MAX on my work car! Don't want a 4-door SUV, don't particularly want another Jeep Wrangler or Grand Cherokee (had both), not that I had ANY problems w/them whatsoever; I just want a change! I've got a line on a nice clean '01 VX now w/fairly low miles and never off-roaded for $10K-ish; I've also got a line on an '01 Rodeo Sport w/fairly low miles, one-owner, super-clean at $6K. Should I go for the clearly higher "cool factor" VX, which will ride rougher, get worse fuel mileage, harder to access rear seats, less cargo capacity, and possibly have more/higher $ maintenance? Or should I go w/the Rodeo Sport - STILL cool in my book, cheaper initial cost, probably better for my twice/weekly freeway runs up to L.A. and down to San Diego than the VX, more cargo capacity, easier entry/egress for the occasional third and/or fourth passenger, and slightly better fuel mileage?

The cool factor of the VX is what I keep coming back to; but it will be my "work truck", and I DO have a cool car already. I know many of you here have owned and/or driven both - h'ep a brutha out!

have a friend that had a rodeo, constant repairs, not expensive, but constant. I got the vx last year (07), window regulator, blower relay, kinda pricey. no problems since. love the "buckety" ride, off road several times, no hint of problems. got steel wheels, new skins and roof rack, took out the back seat so the princess (my dog) can ride. imho, get the VX. make sure you take it out and get your "desert pinstripes".
    NEVER judge me by what I drive... oh, wait... go ahead, I got a VX

both have cool factors involved
    the removeable hardtop is a plus for the RS..

The WTH factor is a plus for the vx,

coinflip really

Quote Originally Posted by TheGanzman View Post
    Should I go for the clearly higher "cool factor" VX, which will ride rougher, get worse fuel mileage, harder to access rear seats, less cargo capacity, and possibly have more/higher $ maintenance?

Yes.

Talking

Here's how you make your decision.

1) If your young (age or heart) = VX

2) If you old (age or heart) = Rodeo Sport

Now, go and make your decision.

Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

Are you freaking kidding me? Seriously this is not even a question, especially here..... If you want an Isuzu that will get you absolutely no attention or comments or catch any car lovers eye, then get that other Isuzu thing you mentioned that even old ladies love I am sure. If you want one of the most unique eye catching vehicles ever made, then get the VehiCross. If you want to blend in and follow everyone else get the SUV if you want to stick out and make your own path get the VX. There really is no choice though, anyone that knows anything about car appreciation would get the VX no questions asked, I too have another "cool" car yet the VX still gives me the biggest smile for some odd reason.

Quote Originally Posted by tomdietrying View Post
    Here's how you make your decision.

1) If your young (age or heart) = VX

2) If you old (age or heart) = Rodeo Sport

Now, go and make your decision.

Peace.
    Tom
    Where *I* come from, #1 above is called "lettin' the little head do the thinkin' for the big head", LOL! Obviously, with no kids and nuthin' but relatively impractical vehicles in the fleet already, I'm clearly "young at heart"...

Yeah, I would say this is the wrong crowd to ask such a question. Clearly, the obvious answer is:

VX

HANDS DOWN.

Bart

Okay, I have had both of these vehicles. Other than the look, I would take the Rodeo Sport. It was a lot more useful in everyday life and I loved taking the top down on that first day where it wasn't quite warm enough but you could always turn the heat on.

Yes, the VX looks nicer and has a "sportier" suspension. However, I think the RS could be made just as sporty and is a lot more useful day to day. If you plan on keeping the vehicle for a while, the RS will also have a lot more parts available.

If you are going to offroad it, the VX is a lot better stock, but if you modify, the RS is your better bet.

I do wish I had a RS again, but I DO NOT regret buying the VX, nor would I trade it in for one.
    Ryan Christiansen

Trooper Skid Plates, OME 912's, Stric9 Sliders, Load Warrior with extension, Apline sub in rear door, Apline front speakers, Alpine head unit, Definity Dakota MT 285/75 R16, Aussie Lockers Front and Rear, 4.77 gears and Warn Manual Hubs.http://picasaweb.google.com/RyanVehiX

Got a bunch of cool (and a few not so cool ) cars...and a truck or three. Not a factor. I don't know how you weigh a Rodeo against a VX.....one kinda sux in a blah sort of way...one doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    I don't know how you weigh a Rodeo against a VX.....one kinda sux in a blah sort of way...one doesn't
    LOL, nicely put I totally agree, I would never spend money on a Rodeo, blah, exactly.

i would buy a rodeo sport with a removable top... but i wound not sell my VX for it

Yeah, but at least I'd have more room in the Rodeo to load my Rascal in and out in a coupla years

Yeah, but at least I'd have more room in the Rodeo to load my Rascal in and out in a coupla years

Take the back seat out (takes me 2 minutes tops) and presto easy loading and plenty of room for a rascal, heck you could probably make a ramp for it!

O.K. - here's my situation: I am GONNA buy another SUV, to replace my current "work car" when it comes off-lease - an '07 Chrysler 300C SRT8. Need an SUV (read: "hitch") to haul 1-2 bicycles w/my fancy receiver-mounted bike rack; plus I like the look of an SUV, plus the higher seating position. My "fun car" is an '88 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe; also be aware that my wife and I have no kids or dogs to haul around. Her car is a Lexus SC430, so *I* will be "the one" to have the 4-seater for the very occasional times we need one. My driving needs are fairly limited, since I work out of my house - probably 6-8K miles/year total. I'm 53 years old, and I want something reasonably "cool" to drive, but I will NOT pay more than ~$20K MAX on my work car! Don't want a 4-door SUV, don't particularly want another Jeep Wrangler or Grand Cherokee (had both), not that I had ANY problems w/them whatsoever; I just want a change! I've got a line on a nice clean '01 VX now w/fairly low miles and never off-roaded for $10K-ish; I've also got a line on an '01 Rodeo Sport w/fairly low miles, one-owner, super-clean at $6K....

I currently have both, a 2000 VX and a 2002 RS. Go with the VX man! The RS is nice, rides smoother and may be a bit bigger, but the "kewl" factor of the VX outweighs EVERYTHING... Drink the cool-aid, go with the VX. You won't regret it!

BTW, anyone looking for a 2002 RS, I have one for sale. It is in great condition and I'll be posting it to the appropriate portion of this site later today.
    Last edited by DeepSilentComplete : 01/05/2009 at 11:46 AM
    DeepSilentComplete :coolr:

He postulated that cognitive simulacra might one day approximate component models of the psyche.