Thread: OMG! My Windshield!

1999, Astral Silver Metalic, VehiCross 0385

OMG! My Windshield!

So.. My Windshield started Cracking at Bottom Under Wiper Motor Cover Area Crept up 3 Inches. Had a Repair Done on it involving drilling a tiny hole though the end of the crack and some sealing material. I thought problem was solved.

Well Warmed Up my Car (In Cold Alaska Winter) and KAPOW! 4 New Cracks Spidering all Possible Directions Branching from Previous Crack in several areas Not just repaired area.

So.. My Question Now is.. Where do I get a A New Windshield for my 99 Vehicross?

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    funny you say that, my windshield cracked about 2 weeks ago...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Any good windshield replacement company should have it in stock*. Mine was replaced the same day I called. Most replacements have the tinted strip at the top unlike the factory piece, so if you want to keep your VX concours correct you may have to ask around for a non-tinted version.

* (applies only to the 48 contiguous states. Your mileage may vary.)
    Gregg
    2001 Proton Yellow #1379

CobraJet is right. When my windshield was hit by a very large rock I called a windshield replacement place and even though they didn't have the windshield in stock it was very easy for them to order and it got here in no time. There are two different kinds of replacements one does have the blue tint strip at the top and the other one doesn't. Just ask the shop to order the one without and you'll be good to go.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Hmmm. Being up there in the bright Alaska sunshine (which only happens 6-months out of the year), you might enjoy the "Blue Tint" along the top version even better.

i have the windshield with the blue tint.. its pitted like crazy.. over the summer i thought i just had a sprinkling of pollen across the windshield.. til i tried to wipe it off.. turns out there are 50+ tiny knicks out of the windshield.. kind of annoying, id post a pic but the windshield would just look dirty, i couldnt even tell by wiping my fingers over it, i used a razor blade to try to scrape the particles off and the corner of the blade would stick in the pit

also whoever replaced the windshield did a crappy job.. it leaks at the top (well it did until i sealed it) but the damage was done.. i have probably 3-4" of rust across the top of the windshield.. quoted about $1000 to fix it