Thread: Shocks?

Shocks?

Ok guys, let me be the first to say that I am not a car whiz, so please keep the responses in a tone I will understand :-)

I have a 99 ebony, that just crossed 55,000 miles. How do you determine when you need new shocks? The car has always felt somewhat stiff and squeaky, and from what I have read this seems normal.

The reason I ask is that there are a few sets of shocks for sale on ebay and I am wondering if these would alter the ride/sound.

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by gexxo18 View Post
    Ok guys, let me be the first to say that I am not a car whiz, so please keep the responses in a tone I will understand :-)

I have a 99 ebony, that just crossed 55,000 miles. How do you determine when you need new shocks? The car has always felt somewhat stiff and squeaky, and from what I have read this seems normal.

The reason I ask is that there are a few sets of shocks for sale on ebay and I am wondering if these would alter the ride/sound.

Thanks again
    Hello: Stiff Yes, Squeaky not really. It looks like you've been a VX owner for a few years so you know about the firm ride. A test I would try is at the front of the VX ( with the hood up and push on the Radiator support to not dent the hood) push down hard and the VX should bounce about 3 times and fade to a smooth stop. If it keeps bouncing I would say replace and do the same at the rear. Also a visual inspection and if there's oil coming from under the OEM boots that is a sign also... If you do have the Original shocks or your VX and you do replace them I will take them off your hands...Good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

I decided to replace mine when it became easy for the VX to reach the bump stops. Meaning my compression went bad, but (and this may be wierd), but the rebound was ok.

I purchased the new adjustable Rancho 9000xs shocks and love them.

What if you can only get the front end to move like 1/2" when you push hard? That's not really even a bounce. Mechanic has checked twice, no leaks, OEM's look OK. 64k miles, 2001.

Question- if the truck is used for a fair amount of recreational off-road use, will that wear out the OEM shocks faster than highway use?
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by VX KAT View Post
    What if you can only get the front end to move like 1/2" when you push hard? That's not really even a bounce. Mechanic has checked twice, no leaks, OEM's look OK. 64k miles, 2001.

Question- if the truck is used for a fair amount of recreational off-road use, will that wear out the OEM shocks faster than highway use?
    yes, but if your front end is really stiff like you say then that suggests that they are in good shape...

i use my VX heavily for dirt roads with lots of washboard and plenty of offroading and mine are plenty stiff still....i have 85k and its a 2000...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    If you do a site search on "squeaking", you'll find that most squeaking when going over bumps, can be eliminated by changing the sway bar bushings to greasable, energy suspension bushings.
    Also, the bump stops & latch on the hood are known "squeakers".

Gexxo- forgot to mention, my car shakes and makes all kinds of squeaking noises when I drive on a dirt road that has washboard and potholes. I hear the back door vibrating and jiggling, sounds like it's going to fall apart or fall off eventually. It's horrible, I feel I'm wrecking the poor thing.

On an off-road trip last week, the panel covering the jack came open, jack got dumped out into back. Today I wrapped the jack and that cubby with a towel. Did the same with the other cover directly opposite it, that has the lug wrench....MUCH QUIETER!

Tomorrow I'm going to open the spare cover and see if placing some rags around stuff in there will further quiet the ride. I've also tightened every screw I can see.

Maybe some of these will help your noise problem, like mine.