Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Was the abs module ever corrected

Awesome explanation and info SlowPro!
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

sorry to open a months-old thread, but has anyone tried the soldering? I now have light on intermittently. Here's a question: I want to keep the thing on the road.If I separate the module from the rest, will brake fluid spew? I want to try the soldering but not if I am going to be bleeding brakes at night.

thanks, all!

Quote Originally Posted by xcelr8 View Post
    sorry to open a months-old thread, but has anyone tried the soldering? I now have light on intermittently. Here's a question: I want to keep the thing on the road.If I separate the module from the rest, will brake fluid spew? I want to try the soldering but not if I am going to be bleeding brakes at night.

thanks, all!
    No, nothing will spew out at you. Here's what it looks like with module separated:

As always, thank you Kat! I can't believe at 65,000 miles this thing is broken. Bosch usually makes stuff pretty good...I'm pretty surprised. I know it's 13 years old, but nonethelsess...should still be good.

Have you seen the guy on ebay that repairs the ABS modules for $99?
    Here's a few posts on it.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...s+ebay+rebuild

VT_Maverick had his done back in May by this guy and it apparently works as new. A new ABS unit is like $2,000 - $3,000

Yup, $99 and works like a charm. Don't waste your time!

So is this for real? For $99 I can have ABS again? I'm currently on my 2nd used module.
    ---------

Ty

My understanding is that the problem is pretty simple for an electronics engineer with the appropriate equipment and probably takes less than an hour to fix. But obviously dealerships and other shops don't have that kind of know-how so the only thing Isuzu can do is provide full replacements.

If you check out the company's website you'll find that they repair all kinds of car electronics. Apparently they've found a niche.

Quote Originally Posted by tysamigo View Post
    So is this for real? For $99 I can have ABS again? I'm currently on my 2nd used module.
    Read post #19 from thread I attached above:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...3&postcount=19

I wrote to the ebay guy (resk123) that wrote that today to ask him some more questions...awaiting reply.
    I've also written to the ebay REBUILD guy 3 times now, with pics, sent these latest pics of the innerds,
    and referenced the Isuzu Workshop Manual, page 5A-5 which says this:
    General Service Precautions
    The following are general precautions which should be
    observed when servicing and diagnosing the Anti-lock
    Brake System and/or other vehicle systems. Failure to
    observe these precautions may result in Anti-lock Brake
    System damage.

The EHCU and valve block connectors should never
    be connected or disconnected with the ignition “ON” .
    EHCU of the Anti-lock Brake System are not
    separately serviceable and must be replaced as
    assemblies. Do not disassemble any component
    which is designated as non-serviceable in this
    Section.

...here's his response today:

Hi Sue,
    We have several thousand of this same type abs Module, This Design is used on many other Makes and Model Automobiles, We will have no problem rebuilding this abs Module.
    Thank You
    Don

I have a "broken" one that I should send to him.

I currently have 3. One installed, one backup, and one that needs to be fixed.

I will just keep cycling them

This is good info, and I'm glad there is a reasonable fix. I guess I now know why I found the abs light bulb in the glove box

Quote Originally Posted by JAMAS View Post
    I have a "broken" one that I should send to him.

I currently have 3. One installed, one backup, and one that needs to be fixed.

I will just keep cycling them
    I kind of did what you did Jon,...I'd already seen the guy on ebay for quite a while, so I bought a dead one from a VXer with plans to get it fixed by that guy if my current one ever died.

Interesting side note.....when Mav was preparing for his major driving trip last May, his ABS light was on, and he recalled I had a dead unit.
    He had a very short amount of time so he asked me to send my unit to the ebay guy right away, have him ship it to Mav when finished.
    Then Mav got that one installed, and gave me his dead unit when we met in Moab.
    ....and I still have the dead unit sitting in the garage...I figure I'll get it fixed by this guy if/when mine goes. Can't see any reason to fix it now.

Thanks again Sue! That last week before leaving for Moab was a whirlwind for sure, I think I paid at least half of the repair cost in priority shipping to get it to my mechanic two days before we were set to leave. Thank goodness it worked on the first try!

No one in here mentions connectors. I had problems with the TOD light coming on. Driving symptom was felt when cranking wheels almost to stop while moving, as though driving over speed bump or wheels out of round. Dealer diagnosed it as the TOD wiring harness. $1400 for the harness plus labor. I read online that it may be the connector and to clean them. That's what I did and it cured the problem. So now my ABS light comes on solid while driving. Stop, turn off ignition, restart, no light. So going to clean connectors. I'll let you know if that works for the ABS.
    3" suspension lift, shocks: Rancho 9000, tires 33"x11.5", wheels 16"x8", offset= 0, no front sway bar

Quote Originally Posted by Maddawg View Post
    No one in here mentions connectors. I had problems with the TOD light coming on. Driving symptom was felt when cranking wheels almost to stop while moving, as though driving over speed bump or wheels out of round. Dealer diagnosed it as the TOD wiring harness. $1400 for the harness plus labor. I read online that it may be the connector and to clean them. That's what I did and it cured the problem. So now my ABS light comes on solid while driving. Stop, turn off ignition, restart, no light. So going to clean connectors. I'll let you know if that works for the ABS.
    Great idea...I'll do this before anything else.