Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Post of all Rims and Tires out there!

Ya holy crap that is Extremely Shiny/Glossy. Do tell your secret and what you use!!

3M Clearcoat Polish on a sponge buffing pad with a simple low-speed orbital buffer is all I've ever used, and yes, I did it myself.

I don't know if it's all that different from the polish you can buy at a place like Autozone, Pepboys, etc, but I was directed to a local automotive paint supplier by an autobody guy at a Ford dealership years back, and it's what I've used on my vehicles ever since.

That was years ago though, and hopefully formulations have improved even more, but it's clearcoat polish, not glaze, wax, buffing compound, etc.

It's the only thing I've ever used that results in a continuous "wet paint" look...that isn't from the drool.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by Y33TREKker View Post
    3M Clearcoat Polish on a sponge buffing pad with a simple low-speed orbital buffer is all I've ever used, and yes, I did it myself.

I don't know if it's all that different from the polish you can buy at a place like Autozone, Pepboys, etc, but I was directed to a local automotive paint supplier by an autobody guy at a Ford dealership years back, and it's what I've used on my vehicles ever since.

That was years ago though, and hopefully formulations have improved even more, but it's clearcoat polish, not glaze, wax, buffing compound, etc.

It's the only thing I've ever used that results in a continuous "wet paint" look...that isn't from the drool.
    I can't find a 3M product on-line that matches the description...got a picture of the container or a item number...
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up

here is mine on american racing Outlaw II # are626883 16*8
    tires Yokohama Geolandar AT/s 255/75R16 no trimming, stock

Cool! Your Vehicross is on a Postage Stamp!!! What an honor!
    Canadian VXer!

So no wax after the polish then? Just polish and go?

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    So no wax after the polish then? Just polish and go?
    Oh sure, wax is the final step, it just seemed like everyone was assuming that wax was the ONLY step.

I also use one of the clay bar kits on occasion to remove surface contaminants, but that's so the finish will "feel" smooth. In my opinion though, it's the polish that makes it "look" smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    I can't find a 3M product on-line that matches the description...got a picture of the container or a item number...

x2 Couldnt find anything.. I think he is trying to hide it from us!!

Can you tell me what kind of buffer to get?

but I was directed to a local automotive paint supplier by an autobody guy at a Ford dealership years back, and it's what I've used on my vehicles ever since.
    I'll check my local auto paint shop. I'm sure they sell something that would work the same.

Any more specific details on your products and process would be excellent. Do you wash the VX first with like dish soap? I've heard doing that will cut grease and old wax better than regular auto soap.

Sorry for this thread jack.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Mile High VX View Post
    This is how the bottle is labeled.

3M Liquid Polish - Clearcoat Safe
    Part# - 051131-05993
    1 U.S. quart

I should say though that this bottle was purchased quite a few years ago, so it's possible this exact product/formulation may no longer be available. If not, I suppose a paint supplier may be able to cross reference the number to something similar that is currently available.

As far as washing beforehand, I've heard the same thing about using liquid dish soap, and think I may have even used it in the past, but I've used a few different car wash products over the years, so I don't know that anything specific is really necessary as long as the surface is clean of anything that might act as an abrasive. And if old wax is more thoroughly removed before polishing, less polish would probably be necessary too.

As far as polishers go, it would depend on which vehicles you plan to use it on. I used to use a 9 or 10 inch Craftsman low-speed orbital because my other vehicle has body panels with larger surface areas, but I picked up a cheap 6 inch low-speed orbital that worked better on the VX because the only "larger" body panel areas were the roof, the doors, and sections of the rear quarters. Neither polisher was anything special either. The 10 inch Craftsman probably cost about $40, and the six inch was around $25. Whichever one you choose though, just make sure that foam pads are available in that size, because I've also tried, cotton, terry cloth, and microfiber pads, and foam always yielded the best results in my opinion.

While this isn't the exact one I got last time (the Titan 6"), it was something similar, and like I said, nothing really special.

Autozone buffer

Waxes? I've used Mequires, Blitz, and even tried the Turtle Wax Ice stuff for awhile. The only thing I've learned is that it's always the polishing process that's made the most difference, and paste wax seems to last a little longer than the liquid stuff. Aside from that, it's just personal preference IMO.
    Last edited by Y33TREKker : 07/18/2011 at 04:15 PM

Paint guy on a GTO forum says that part # has been superseded to MMM 39006. Might be best to call a paint shop to verify though.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/AutoBodyDep...emNo=MMM+39006

Thanks, I am going to try this on the VX and see what results I can get.

Bart

I was wondering why all this seemed so familiar. I just ran a Google search for that part # and this link was returned.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13394

Good find. I have an all new respect for rickshaw after reading his detailing process in that thread.

Yeah, you guys with the shiney VXes kill me. I can't get my tranny to stop leaking and I am on my 3rd try now. I'll worry about the paint when the leaks are all fixed.

Bart