Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Post of all Rims and Tires out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger VX'er View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree with some of what is said. I KNOW that my wheels are +12mm because when I ordered them I was shooting for +10mm since Daver had what I liked in stance. I'm also a stickler for re-checking part #'s on things I order to be sure I received what I asked for. The American Racing wheels I received were the same part# I ordered so in theory if I ordered 12mm offset I should have received 12mm offset.
    +12mm on a 20x8 is different than +12mm on a 20x8.5, etc. Also "where" your tires sticks out to has A LOT to do with the width of your tire. Mine happen to be 12.5" wide and hence they stick out further on my +15 offset rims than would a 11.5" tire, etc. If you look at my gallery when I was test fitting my 20x8.5 +15mm rims before I put tires onto the rims, the rims were almost perfectly in line with the front cladding, may have been a few millimeters outside of the cladding, and since the torsion bar crank pulls the front wheels just slightly in closer to the VX the rears were sticking out from the VX around 5mm more than the front, picture for reference:

And here you can see the rear tires sticking out just ever so slightly more than the fronts because of the degree of the Control Arms after lifting:

And no it is not just because of the angle of the photo, at whichever angle you look at it from the rear or front you can see just a slight difference on each side front/back, but I am talking a small difference (3-5mm).

Also, Baxman had (0) degrees offset and that put his wheels even further out as far as wheelwell is concerned compared to Daver's. More trimming of cladding there!

The stock wheels were +38mm offset IIRC. So looking at all of this as a number-line and that backspacing specs are constant....going from +38mm (tires tucked up under wheel-wells on O.E.M. wheel) to +12mm,+10mm (outer edge of tire lines up with edge of wheel-well lip) to zero offset (outer edge of tire begins to exceed past edge of wheel-well lip) to negative offset going from low to high (say -5mm out to -15mm) results in ever-wider stance with wheels pushed out past fender wheel-well lip.
    Yes right on, except as you can see in my photo from above, a 20x8.5" rim with +15mm offset lines up the edge of the rim almost exactly with the edge of the cladding, down to maybe 1 or 2mm sticking out on front at the most, which means my 12.5" tires would be almost 2" wider than this on the inside and outside, so a 0 offset at anything around the same 8.5" rim that I have would indeed push not just the tire outside the wheel well, but it would in fact push the rim edge itself to outside the cladding not just the tire.

I look at Jay Dunford's VX and see no problem visualizing -12mm of offset. His tires are out past the fender wheel-well lip whereas mine at +12 mm pretty much line up with edge of fender wheel-well lip. (critical in PA as fines result if tires stick out past fender wheel-well lip.)
    The reason I agree that his offset is around +10 or so is because the amount of tire sticking out looks almost identical to Taylor(+10) and myself (+15). But his tires are .5" more narrow than ours, so that is why I thought the rims might be all the way down to a +8mm or so. But you are right that his wheels were indeed a little further out than mine. I say were because if anyone was wondering Jay is now riding in style in his blacked out FJ Cruiser.

Now where I'm not too sure....is how changes in backspacing figures into the mix. I suspect that is what is confusing us somewhat here in that backspacing may be changing on the various wheel styles???? IIRC my wheels are 4.5" backspacing.

Also, mm's are pretty small increments of measurement. When I was trying to pick out wheels that appealed to me AND were @ 10mm offset like Daver's VX; I really wanted the American Racing "Nitro" wheel. But, the closest offset it came in was zero! So, I picked the "Breaker" wheel as it was quite similar to the "Nitro" (kind of like a cousin..lol) and it was offered at 12mm offset. Only a difference of 2mm....and that was to the good in my book in that it was 2mm closer to stock....less likely for the tire to stick out past the fender wheel-well & get fined!
    If I'm wrong here guys...I'm truly sorry...as this is how I perceive it and I'm not trying to mislead anyone.
    P.S.--thanks Rickshaw for posting my newest pic + info and putting together an awesome thread!
    Here is a chart that might simplify the whole offset to backspacing thing:

From the chart if your rims are +12mm offset and 4.5" backspacing then your rims would be 7" wide, but that does not sound right either, how were you measuring your backspacing or were you given those numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask View Post
    BTW, does anyone have info on Swordy's winch setup? Me likey.

Bart
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=8614

Thanks!

Bart

Good info LittleBeast. At least one person here seems to be able to wrap their mind around this offset thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    nice littlebeast... that chart is gonna help a lot when it comes to ordering rims lol...
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    Here is a chart that might simplify the whole offset to backspacing thing:

From the chart if your rims are +12mm offset and 4.5" backspacing then your rims would be 7" wide, but that does not sound right either, how were you measuring your backspacing or were you given those numbers?
    Thank you for a very clear, concise, well-written explanation to the subject at hand! kudo's. Very good chart which should come in handy for alot of VX'ers! (myself included!)

What prompted me to post (earlier) was the implication that some of the posted offset info was wrong (possibly mine being one of them.) So I spoke up mainly to draw attention to the fact that I knew my info (+12mm) was correct.

The backspacing info I gave (4.5") was in error (actually 5"); but, hopefully I covered my butt with the ole IIRC

Here is the wheel specs for my particular wheel for demo: (#614-6883)

(Part Number) - Size - Offset - Backspacing - (Bolt Circle)
    (614-7882) - 17x8 - 0 - 4 1/2 - (8x6 1/2)
    (614-7875) - 17x8 - 12 - 5 - (5x5 1/2)
    (614-7870) - 17x8 - 12 - 4 1/2 - (8x170mm)
    (614-7838) - 17x8 - 12 - 5 - (6x5 1/2)
    (614-6882) - 16x8 - 0 - 4 1/2 - (8x6 1/2)
    (614-6870) - 16x8 - 0 - 4 1/2 - (8x170mm)
    (614-6885) - 16x8 - 0 - 4 1/2 - (5x5 1/2)
    (614-6883) - 16x8 - 12 - 5 - (6x5 1/2)
    (614-6873) - 16x8 - 12 - 5 - (5x5)
    (614-6838) - 16x8 - 12 - 5 - (5x5 1/2)
    (614-6835) - 16x8 - 0 - 4 1/2 - (5x135mm)
    (614-5873) - 15x8 - (-19) - 3 3/4 - (5x5)
    (614-5865) - 15x8 - (-19) - 3 3/4 - (5x4 1/2)

http://4wheelonline.com/Products.asp...ProductId=6995

Also, just an FYI for newbie wheel shoppers; check out hub (bore) dimensions(diameter) before buying as this has burned previous VX'ers in the past! (I do not recall the actual dimension for our hubs.)
    Last edited by Jolly Roger VX'er : 01/06/2009 at 10:30 PM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

What prompted me to post (earlier) was the implication that some of the posted offset info was wrong (possibly mine being one of them.) So I spoke up mainly to draw attention to the fact that I knew my info (+12mm) was correct.

Also, just an FYI for newbie wheel shoppers; check out hub (bore) dimensions(diameter) before buying as this has burned previous VX'ers in the past! (I do not recall the actual dimension for our hubs.)
    Yours were never in question... only the "0" or "Negative" offset wheels that look "normal" 0 or negative would stick out far no matter how you slice it

I believe our center bore is 100mm, but most wheels (mine included) come in a 108mm center bore. (for GMs)

Rims & Tires Part 3

CoastieCosta567
    Rims are (need more info)
    Tires are (need more info)
    (Lifted) 919's old man emu springs
    CoastieCosta567's Build Up Thread

Same VX with Silver Wheels

(Lifted) 919's old man emu springs
    ============================================

don moore
    Tires are Yokohama Geolander A/T (need size info)
    (Stock height)

Triathlete
    Tires are Goodyear Wrangler MTR (need size info)
    (Lifted) OME 912 springs, ball joint flip, and torsion crank

iamjacksadrenalgland
    Rims are Enkei RT-6 18x8.5
    Tires are Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/60/18 (Diameter 31.38 in)
    (Stock height)

Eric Psolla
    Rims are ASA TRS 16x8
    Tires are 255/70/18 Bridgestone Winter Duelers DM-Z2 (Diameter 32.1 in)
    (Stock height)

ericjimenez
    Tires are 305/45/22 (Diameter 32.8 in)
    (Stock height)

GOVEHIX
    Rims are 20'' (need more info)
    (Stock height)
    GOVEHIX's Wheels Thread

Ascinder
    Rims are Mega 835 20" Alloy
    Tires are Nitto Dune Grapplers 285/55 R20 (32.3" diameter)
    (Lifted) Diff drop brackets, Ball joint flip, Re-indexed front suspension to 4" of lift, Nitrided steel spring jacks in the rear for 4" of lift, Aisin Locking front hubs
    Ascinder's Build Up Thread

Ron
    Rims are Silver 18x8 Borbet CW3
    Tires are Yokohama AVS (need size info)
    (Stock height)

Same VX with Different Wheels

Rims are 16X8
    Tires are Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's 265-70-r16 (30.6" diameter)
    (Stock height)

Bantan
    Rims are KMC Thunder 20x9
    (Stock height)

BBVX
    Tires are BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM 33x10.5x15
    (Lifted)

VXMAN
    Rims are 17x8 ASA TRS
    (Stock height)

Same VX with Lift and Mud tires

crager34
    Rims are 17x8 ASA TRS
    Tires are BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM 255/75/17 (Diameter 31.7 in)
    (Lifted) 2.5"
    Formerly VXMAN's VX

Cyn
    (Stock height)

patrick cooper
    Rims are 16x8
    Tires are Simex Jungle Trekkers 285/85/16
    (Lifted)

Medman
    (Lifted)

Same VX with Different Wheels and Tires

Tires are Pro Comp (need size info)
    (Lifted)

thedutchguy
    Rims are Stilauto offroad3 (need size info)
    (Stock height)
    Last edited by rickshaw : 04/14/2010 at 09:56 PM
    rickshaw
    Original Owner
    2001 Dragon #0467

Quote Originally Posted by taylorRichie View Post
    Yours were never in question... only the "0" or "Negative" offset wheels that look "normal" 0 or negative would stick out far no matter how you slice it
    The only thing I can say, is the the Chambers myself and a few other VXers have are a 0 offset with 4.5" backspacing and the tires/wheels do not stick out that far at all. IMO, the 0 offset pushes the look out just right. They look perfect.

Bart

The only thing I can say, is the the Chambers myself and a few other VXers have are a 0 offset with 4.5" backspacing and the tires/wheels do not stick out that far at all. IMO, the 0 offset pushes the look out just right. They look perfect.

Bart
    Amen to that. I love my stance. They protrude but it is very tasteful IMHO. One reason I was so determined NOT to lift. Didn't want that extra well space to take away from it.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    Amen to that. I love my stance. They protrude but it is very tasteful IMHO. One reason I was so determined NOT to lift. Didn't want that extra well space to take away from it.
    Yeah the open space in mine really bothers me but its tough saving money for new tires, especially ones I want(that’s the hard part soo many decisions).

Bart
    Once again though guys, a 0 offset on a 8" wide rim with 11-11.5" wide tires looks a TON different than a 0 offset 8.5"-9" wide rim with 12.5" wide tires. Especially when you have the Mudd Grapplers that if you take a tape measure to are actually 12.5" wide from outside of tire to inside of tire (I checked yesterday, lol). Basically my +15mm offset rims and 12.5" tires actually stick out FURTHER from the cladding than your 0 offset, just because of the other variables, as I have stated before my personal opinion is anything around 1.5"-2" of tire sticking out from the fender looks awesome, and I would say both you and Wormgod are in that ballpark. And the width of your respected tires is 265(10.5"), and 285(11.25") and add to that Wormgod's rims are a full .5" larger than yours and you can see the difference between you two in the pictures, now imagine a 12.5" tire on top of that, in fact a full 1.25"(.75" on each side) more hanging off the rim than Wormgod's tires and a full 2"(1" on each side) more than your tires and you can see why a 12.5" wide tire on a 8.5" rim with 0 offset would look way different than what you guys are running, and in my opinion get into the "wow something is not quite right there" area. But yeah 0 offset on an 8-8.5" rim with a 11" tire looks just right (as far as offset goes). But when thinking of what offset you need for the look you are going for the width of the tire and rim are huge factors that should be decided on before deciding on offset/backspacing.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    Once again though guys, a 0 offset on a 8" wide rim with 11-11.5" wide tires looks a TON different than a 0 offset 8.5"-9" wide rim with 12.5" wide tires. Especially when you have the Mudd Grapplers that if you take a tape measure to are actually 12.5" wide from outside of tire to inside of tire (I checked yesterday, lol). Basically my +15mm offset rims and 12.5" tires actually stick out FURTHER from the cladding than your 0 offset, just because of the other variables, as I have stated before my personal opinion is anything around 1.5"-2" of tire sticking out from the fender looks awesome, and I would say both you and Wormgod are in that ballpark. And the width of your respected tires is 265(10.5"), and 285(11.25") and add to that Wormgod's rims are a full .5" larger than yours and you can see the difference between you two in the pictures, now imagine a 12.5" tire on top of that, in fact a full 1.25"(.75" on each side) more hanging off the rim than Wormgod's tires and a full 2"(1" on each side) more than your tires and you can see why a 12.5" wide tire on a 8.5" rim with 0 offset would look way different than what you guys are running, and in my opinion get into the "wow something is not quite right there" area. But yeah 0 offset on an 8-8.5" rim with a 11" tire looks just right (as far as offset goes). But when thinking of what offset you need for the look you are going for the width of the tire and rim are huge factors that should be decided on before deciding on offset/backspacing.
    I agree, wasn't trying to argue or anything, just saying I love my rim/tire combo.

Bart

I agree, wasn't trying to argue or anything, just saying I love my rim/tire combo.

Bart
    I know, I agreed with you, but I just used way too many words

Oh and I love the Mudd Grapplers and all, but I am loving Patrick Cooper's tires a little more now, anyone have any idea what they are?