Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: transmission help needed

transmission help needed

Well today i was just driving down the road and the check engine light and the transmission light cam on i have a 1999 vehicross i have a couple of questions.

1. How do u check the transmission fluid.

2. is a mode selector switch the same as the neutral safety switch.

it has a high idle when its in park and it shifts real hard in to the gears and out of them and it also acts like it wants to die like it has water in the gas or something right before all this happened i hit a big water hole that was in the road the alternator is new and so is the battery and help would be great thank u in advance

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by rureadyto69 View Post
    Well today i was just driving down the road and the check engine light and the transmission light cam on i have a 1999 vehicross i have a couple of questions.

it has a high idle when its in park and it shifts real hard in to the gears and out of them and it also acts like it wants to die like it has water in the gas or something right before all this happened i hit a big water hole that was in the road the alternator is new and so is the battery and help would be great thank u in advance

ya but were is the dipstick or do u have to do it from somewhere on the bottom of the trans like a standard

There is No DIPSTICK (not you Ldub) Check here post SIX for the procedure:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...smission+fluid

Don't know this.... maybe someone else will post answer

Do all this and I guarantee your VX will run BETTER

1) New FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) $50 advanced auto parts
    here's the how to if you want to DIY:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ht=replace+fpr

2) Clean or replace the EGR
    Cleaning is sooooo easy... I did it!
    The way to do that is here... http://isuzufaq.ibctech.ca/

3) Clean the MAF
    Autozone sells MAF cleaner for like $7... works wonders

4) CLEAN THE Idle valve sensor THOROUGHLY
    It's even EASIER to clean than the EGR
    two allen head screws and some sensor safe spray cleaner
    it's on the throttle body pass side one plug in it

5)Replace PCV $2.88 autozone

5 point fix for problems you describe... I had most of that and did all this and my oil consumption went down... faster, more responsive, runs smoother... no more idle problems AT ALL
    We sit together, my VX and I, until only the VX remains.
    --Iamironman

thanks

thank u ive done most of that but i still have the shifting issue and it still cuts out when shiftin gears and shifts really hard

thank u ive done most of that but i still have the shifting issue and it still cuts out when shiftin gears and shifts really hard

Unless you DIY take it to a mechanic to get the tranny serviced... fluid filter do the xfer case too... ah heck do it all or get it all done.... diff's EVERYTHING

ill try that do u think it could be that netraul saftey switch i think its the orginal and the truck has 254000 miles i can believe its still running but it runs strong

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car

Sounds like it very well may be the mode switch. Hard, even violent shifts both up and down occur when it goes out. Check also if your shifting display on the dash flickers oddly when you do shift. Sometimes it is more apparent when you drive the truck first thing. If you do a search on Mode Switch you will find tons of information. Here is just one link:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ht=mode+switch

Good luck with your VX
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

is the mode switch the same as the neutral safty switch

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    To get a definitive answer I would recommend calling Merlin at St. Charles Isuzu. He deals with us continually and probably could answer your question. 1-800-727-8066

They are two seperate items, and given the circuit schematic for the Shift Interlock System, it doesn't appear as if the Transmission Mode Selector Switch provides any type of input to the Shift Interlock Controller(what it seems you are referring to as the Neutral Safety Switch).

The only way it seems that the two interact is that the transmission control lever can't be moved until the proper conditions are met for the Shift Interlock Controller, that being mainly that the brake pedal is depressed if the engine is already running, or the starter switch is in the START position and the transmission control lever is in the "P" position.

i don't know whats goin on i parked it in the garage last night out of the rain and i drove it 100 miles or so today and it ran great and the check engine light and everything went off but it wasn't raining today does anyone have an idea it seems like its a yugo or something u can drive those in the rain ither lol

Was it also raining when the problem occured the first time, or was there just the standing water? It could be that a wiring harness connector on the underside of your VX is allowing water to short circuit a portion of the transmission control circuit.

I had the same thing happen awhile back when I was driving through a very heavy rain storm. The TOD started going crazy even though everything had been perfectly normal before the rain started. The problem also seemed to clear up after the rain stopped and after continued highway driving apparently dried everything off.

Even though I haven't driven through that heavy a rainstorm since then to verify if it solved the problem, it hasn't happened again.

I disconnected all the connectors I could see in the area of the transmission, cleaned both the male and the female ends, applied some dielectric grease to both connectors, then reconnected them.

And since it was hard to tell whether the back sides of each connector looked totally waterproof, I also wrapped the backs of the connectors (where the individual wires go into each connector) with electrical tape. (Once I had both ends reconnected, I think I even wrapped the whole assembly from end to end with electrical tape for extra waterproofing insurance).

The majority of the connectors were on the passenger side of the transmission, with some plugging directly in to the trans, and some located near the intersection of the trans cross-member and the passenger side frame rail.

It's kind of a PITA to do, but if you do it right the first time, the connectors should remain waterproof for a very long time. Of course that isn't saying it's those connectors that are causing your VX's problem, but it might be a good place to start eliminating possible sources.

hey i taped up everything like u suggested and cleaned everthing but it rained today and did the same thing i'm at a lost with this deal and the bad think is it rains or snows all the time here i would hate not to be able to drive in the rain and ideas anyone

Have you taken it somewhere like AutoZone, etc. to determine if the ECU is throwing any trouble codes? Having some specific information like that would help with further diagnosis.

Or, just check this out for a DIY.

Reading VX trouble codes