Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Wheel locks..

Quote Originally Posted by Riff Raff View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble, Eric; but professional wheel thieves nowaday's use freon spray or a fire extinguisher to freeze the locked wheel stud ice cold and then hit the specific wheel lock with a hammer, thereby breaking the entire stud off along with the locking lug. Wheel locks today just keep honest people honest (and help you sleep a little better at night, but only a little).
    What?? ive never heard of a single instance of this. it doesnt even make sense. you would ruin the wheels/finish. even a CO2 fire extinguisher wouldnt have enough juice to make 4 wheel locks that cold. and freon spray? it would be harder to find it and buy it than to just go buy the wheels yourself.

there are much easier way to steal wheels. I have a set of wheel lock removers that i use in the shop that can have a set of 4 wheel locks off in 5 min flat

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Yeah, I recall Marlin just lucked out on his set being all the same.
    http://vehicross.info/forums/showthr...ht=locking+lug

PittVXr, I'm with you, mine never came with any.........I still need to buy the McGard ones.
    VX KAT
    ....the adventure BEGINS ANEW! ...2015......
    Remember that life is not measured in the breaths you take, but rather in the moments that take your breath away.

I got lucky! I AGAIN went through the box of things I had taken out of my VX when it went in to get a new motor and found mine! WHEW! I am going to guard that thing with my life! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    What?? ive never heard of a single instance of this. it doesnt even make sense. you would ruin the wheels/finish. even a CO2 fire extinguisher wouldnt have enough juice to make 4 wheel locks that cold. and freon spray? it would be harder to find it and buy it than to just go buy the wheels yourself.

there are much easier way to steal wheels. I have a set of wheel lock removers that i use in the shop that can have a set of 4 wheel locks off in 5 min flat

I tested some locks (like master locks) using liquid nitrogen, which gets much much colder than anything you can buy commercially and found that even when completely submerged for minutes, the steel in those locks was still strong enough to survive countless whacks with a giant hammer.

Everything you see, like in the fourth fast and furious, or people breaking locks with cold sprays - its really just for the movies. I can't even imagine how much "freon" it would take to even dent the steel used in our wheel lugs and bolts.