Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Shocks - Rancho 9000xl

Post Shocks - Rancho 9000xl

Hi folks -

I need to have new shocks installed. I want the Rancho 9000xl's. Who has them installed on their VX? What are the part #'s and where can I get them?

I did a search, it seems several members have them installed but I cannot find the details so I can order them and ensure I get the right ones.

Please help on this, they'll be a X-mas gift to me from the family

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide on this matter.
    Live Free or DIE!

Quote Originally Posted by VehiX View Post
    Hi folks -

I need to have new shocks installed. I want the Rancho 9000xl's. Who has them installed on their VX? What are the part #'s and where can I get them?

I did a search, it seems several members have them installed but I cannot find the details so I can order them and ensure I get the right ones.

Please help on this, they'll be a X-mas gift to me from the family

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide on this matter.
    I have the rancho 9000's and I dislike them immensely... I'm going with Bilstiens(sic?) Like I've read and heard VERY good things about, here, there and other places...
    We sit together, my VX and I, until only the VX remains.
    --Iamironman

Quote Originally Posted by iamironman View Post
    I have the rancho 9000's and I dislike them immensely... I'm going with Bilstiens(sic?) Like I've read and heard VERY good things about, here, there and other places...
    i think you are the only person i have ever heard that from.. why dont you like them? just curious.. i have my stock shocks and a back up set i dont plan on getting rid of..

Thanks for your response iamironman, but I'm looking specifically for the 9000XL's not the 9000's. I have done searches where people mentioned that they have em and love em but no details on them.

Out of curiosity what don't you like about the 9000's? Anyone know the major difference between the 9000's and the 9000XL's?

The stock shocks are not an option for me as I don't have a spare arm and leg to fork over for them! Not sure what makes them worth $425 a peice either?! I'm convinced that price is a misprint from the dealer! For that price I could have a custom set up built from fabtech or some other outrageous suspension company/setup! Sheesh

Anyway, I have asked about the XL's before ...over a year ago... and still no one seems to have the details. If you own the XL's and have some info for me, please chime in.

Thanks

Ok... I was being ummmm short... they are the rancho 9000xl's... I was not aware they had just 9000's without the 'xl'...

I don't like them.... I bought the vx in july and they were already on... they have the in cab controll to charge them and release the air and the dual pressure gauge... they have never worked right... I fill them up, they hold the pressure... I drive around a bit, notice the ride is deteriorating... look down they are empty... one point, one air tube burst... not sure why... but a mech friend found the leak and replaced the tube for me.... worked just like before...! up n down.... I thought it was cool at first... even bragged to buddies how I could go from highway to off-road on-the-fly... but after weeks, nay months now of constantly reaching down and pushing the button to fill them back up every couple hours... now they won't fill up at all anymore... can hear the motor chuggin away but no fill up... and I've had two people including Tone try and find the leak.... no luck... BUT.... I am willing to give them one last chance to redeem themselves.... I'm going to take the vx to a rancho dealer and see if they can find the problem (find it cheap, hope they don't charge to 'find' a problem).... and if it is a reasonable $$ fix, git 'r dun, if they don't hold up... something else goes wrong with them, I'm switching.... I'd rather have something that, in the immortal words of our great denizen of the infomercial Ron Popiel says.... I can: "Set it and Forget it"

that makes sense then, i have heard that complaint a few times about the in cabin controls for it.. an installer told me that like 75% or more have trouble with the remote system. as far as i know, very few people have had trouble with leaking if they dont have the remote system (just turn the dial on the shocks themselves instead)

I have them... I really like them. I have the fronts set to 7 and the rear to 8 I believe and love the ride they offer. I don't know the part numbers, but they are easy enough to find. Try and find a buy three get one free offer... this happens alot with Rancho.
    Last edited by crager34 : 12/15/2008 at 08:49 AM

I've had the Racncho RS9000X on for a few years ( 90% hiway use ) with the 9 way adjustments, all 4 shocks at my door for around $200 ( BUY 3 GET 1 FREE W/FREE SHIPPING ) it had the option for the inside cabin control unit which I passed knowing there would be problems in time. I set mine on 6-7 and love them...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

I have the Rancho shocks, and like the adjustability. I mostly drive around with all 4 set at the max (9). I like the firm ride, and the VX wallows around too much when the shocks are set at the minimum (1). However, I do set them at 1 when people that don't like the "rough" ride are riding along. I have shocked a few people that the ride can change so much. I have not messed around with the middle settings too much, and did not get the remote controller option because of all the horror stories.

I am getting Cece a set of the Bilstein H1 shocks for Christmas, so I will be able to compare them against my Ranchos.
    The only thing we have to fear is fear itself... and zombies.

My VehiCROSS

so... you can set something right on the shock itself?
    how does the air get in if it's not pumped in?
    or am I stuck because mine has the hook-up on it for the in-cab thingymabobthatsucks?
    should I just take it to a dealer and have them take the thingymabobthatsucks off and set it where I might like it set? (I think I'd be ok with 7 f/r)

Anyone want a FREE (just pay for shipping) in-cab thingymabobthatsucks?

nocturnal: please let us know ow the bilstiens stack up!

I have no help, but another question along these lines. Does anyone know if the stock shocks are rebuildable?
    I have a freind who is manager of a 4-wheel drive shop, and he recommends the Bilsteins, but said the Ranchos are good too. However, he said the stockers may be rebuildable.
    I know motorcycles have used this type of shock for years, and most of them are rebuildable and can be recharged without rebuilding.
    My shocks are fine, but I am curious.
    Thanks...Robert

Quote Originally Posted by iamironman View Post
    so... you can set something right on the shock itself?
    how does the air get in if it's not pumped in?
    There is a dial at the base of each shock that sets the firmness (if you don't have the in-cab setup). I don't think you can retrofit the dials onto the shocks made to be adjusted by air pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by Doomer View Post
    I have no help, but another question along these lines. Does anyone know if the stock shocks are rebuildable?
    I have a freind who is manager of a 4-wheel drive shop, and he recommends the Bilsteins, but said the Ranchos are good too. However, he said the stockers may be rebuildable.
    I know motorcycles have used this type of shock for years, and most of them are rebuildable and can be recharged without rebuilding.
    Thanks...Robert
    http://www.brucessuspension.com/

Bruce is a very nice guy and has rebuilt VX shocks for members here before. I am sending him a spare set I acquired here on vx.info to be rebuilt sometime this week. He is the only guy I have been able to find that is willing to do this. He should be able to get all 4 rebuilt somewhere between $475-500. He gives multiple discounts when you send him all 4 at once. I have taken before and after photos of me cleaning them and will snap some more shots when I get them from him. I purchased my extra set of stock shocks from a member here for $100 dropped off in Austin (no shipping costs), add the price of the rebuild and shipping there and back and I am looking at $700 for 4 OEM KYB VX shocks rebuilt and ready to go, a little better than what Isuzu wants for them

Quote Originally Posted by Doomer View Post
    Thanks...Robert

My buddy has a Motorcycle shop and has a pair of my originals under his bench for a couple of years now and we have been meaning to pulling one apart and if there is no inner damage to the reservoir ( scared, out-of-round etc. ) then just getting seal kits might do it. I have access to Nitrogen at work, we use nitro for assist gas on our Lasers. In fact we just installed a Nitrogen Generator and make our own, why pay for it when it's 78% of what you breath. The generator removes the Oxygen. I'll talk to him and bump it up on the things to do list.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    http://www.brucessuspension.com/

Bruce is a very nice guy and has rebuilt VX shocks for members here before. I am sending him a spare set I acquired here on vx.info to be rebuilt sometime this week. He is the only guy I have been able to find that is willing to do this. He should be able to get all 4 rebuilt somewhere between $475-500. He gives multiple discounts when you send him all 4 at once. I have taken before and after photos of me cleaning them and will snap some more shots when I get them from him. I purchased my extra set of stock shocks from a member here for $100 dropped off in Austin (no shipping costs), add the price of the rebuild and shipping there and back and I am looking at $700 for 4 OEM KYB VX shocks rebuilt and ready to go, a little better than what Isuzu wants for them
    Thanks for the info!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!