Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Might have found a solution to our CV Boot tear problem.

Might have found a solution to our CV Boot tear problem.

http://www.offroadsolutions.com/955-...tml#components

Look for the "High Angle CV Boot Kit".

They're designed for lifted vehicles with steep CV Angles. I'm doing my boots today so I was doing some research on possible solutions. They're designed for the Toyota Tacoma. Wonder what the chances are they would work on ours. They look like they would.

I may have to email these guys and get the dimensions.

Just thought I'd share.

The Red is pretty cool too, matches all the Indy 4X silicone boots, Coil puck, and the Energy Suspensions Bushings and bump stops.

I'll keep you posted on my findings, just wish I'd have found them a week ago, so I wouldn't have to do this again... (of course who am I kidding, I'll be doing it again, and again, and again )

Wink

Nice find! Keep us posted if they turn out to be usable for our VX's.

I just ordered a 2" coil spacer from Independent4X.com and going to crank the t-bars 8 turns to start off my pre-lift path to joining you guys in the high altitude club..lol. My new 32" tires fit the non-lifted VX...but the look isn't quite right. The tires look too "stuffed" under the fenderwelds..kind of cartoonish. Got to go upwards and onwards!!!!!!!!

I'm trying to get my hands on some diff-drop brackets. I won't lift (past the 2" coil spacer route) without them...they are the key to satisfying my craving! If successful, I'll be ordering up goodies from Independent4X.com to join the ranks of vehicross.info/liftville

If these boots fit our application....they would be a nice thing to add to my accumulation of parts towards liftville! With diff-drop brackets to help alleviate the angle AND these sturdier boots...(Dr. Evil Voice On) "Nothing can stop us from ruling the world...NAAA..HAAA..HAAA.."(Dr. Evil Voice Off).
    Last edited by Jolly Roger VX'er : 12/14/2008 at 08:05 AM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"If its fast and reliable, its not cheap;
    if its fast and cheap, its not reliable;
    if its cheap and reliable, its not fast."

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular?

Nice find! Yeah, that’s one of the reasons I haven’t lifted yet. Up tell now I haven’t seen a solid solution for the boot tear problem. Definitely keep us posted, good job!
    Last edited by kodiak : 12/14/2008 at 12:41 PM
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    ya definately could help out a bit. Look forward to seeing what happens with this
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Good find Richie...

Hope they turn out to be the right size.

Is it torn boots that cause the CV failures, though? Or would CV joints at a high angle still fail faster, even if the boots survived?

I'm very curious about this, too... Fear of dead CVs is keeping me from lifting...

Quote Originally Posted by mdwyer View Post
    Is it torn boots that cause the CV failures, though? Or would CV joints at a high angle still fail faster, even if the boots survived?

I'm very curious about this, too... Fear of dead CVs is keeping me from lifting...
    As far as I know, what happens, is that the high angle causes the boots to tear which in turn causes the grease to spew out and the CV has no lube, and then it goes bad....

Bart

Good find Richie. If you look in this thread, you can find some general info on CVs that I put together (about half way down the first page).

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...hlight=dummies

Those boots may be a good fix but I have 2 thoughts on it being a complete fix:

1. MechaTech boots were supposed to be a fix too - they didn't.

2. If the boots do last, the CVs could still wear out at the extreme angles our lifted rigs put them at. My shaft was almost touching the outer race (green cup). That's WAY beyond the functional range for operation. I'll be pleasantly suprised if they make that much difference (IMHO). Hopefully someone will try them & let us know how they work out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Well...

My local autozone had some different CV boots for the vehicross In Stock, can't remember the brand or model but I'll look tonight. I'll have my vehicle back together today. I didn't realize my other side had completely torn through my newly installed dorman inner CV Boot... I mean completely...

So I'm going to give these new ones a shot, and then next time I'm going to go with these High Lift ones. (assuming they'll fit.)

I'd love to do some CV Drop brackets, but man that's a daunting task. Maybe this spring. As long as I can ride my motorcycle to work, my VX can be down for a bit. But we've got a ton of snow right now, and all I want is my VX on the road

Quote Originally Posted by taylorRichie View Post
    I'd love to do some CV Drop brackets, but man that's a daunting task.
    Is it a task that gets cheaper with quantity? That is, how many brackets do you think we'd need to order before it got cheap enough to have the work farmed out? I'd love some brackets, too, but I don't know the first thing about getting them made...

I can't help thinking that we could get at least a half-dozen sales out of a fab run... But I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by mdwyer View Post
    Is it a task that gets cheaper with quantity? That is, how many brackets do you think we'd need to order before it got cheap enough to have the work farmed out? I'd love some brackets, too, but I don't know the first thing about getting them made...

I can't help thinking that we could get at least a half-dozen sales out of a fab run... But I have no idea.
    Bought mine from Tom4bren for $200, getting them cheap is no big deal, evidently everyone here is scared of doing it because they think it is going to be complicated and difficult. Tom said I could do it in 2-3 days, and after looking at the directions it is definitely involving and maybe time consuming, but I think I can handle it. I will update you as soon as I am done, but I do not think I would call it daunting.....

I'm thinking I could do it the second time in about a day (since I've already been through it once).

If you can replace CV boots, you can drop the diff. You're 60% there anyway & it's not any more complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    If you can replace CV boots, you can drop the diff. You're 60% there anyway & it's not any more complicated.
    Oh, I don't fear the wrench. I fear the welder.

Did you fab the ones you sold?

My problem was never that I though I couldn't do it... (the drop brackets) nor a question of expense ($200), but one of, what do I do while I'm there.

Seems like a good opportunity to install an ARB, but now it's starting to get spendy.

Also I'm not sure of the current crossmember/cross brace offerings.

And then time... I don't want to be down for a week, might take some 3 days, but I'm sure I'll do it very leisurely and thorough.

BTW...
    The new Boots I got are: FENCO, DYNAPAK - p/n: K2148

I only used them on the inners, and dorman on the outers, they seem like a way way better fit. But I don't know if that translates into better wear.

I just checked FENCO's website, and they have different part numbers for inner and outer.
    K2149 Front Outer
    K2266 Front Inner

I'm guessing it used to be K2148 Inner, K2149 Outer, but I don't know??

Another thing I'll do if I get a chance to do my CV's again (a few months) I'll use the Red-line CV-2 Synthetic grease. I didn't realize it was fit for CV use so I didn't use it, but a quick internet search revealed this... ...CV-2 contains an organic moly and is for wheel bearings, high angle and conventional CV joints, chassis lubrication and high temperature, high speed industrial equipment...

It'd be nice to use since I use it for all my other greasable fittings, and I can keep things consistent since you're not supposed to mix greases.
    Last edited by taylorRichie : 12/17/2008 at 07:40 AM

mdwyer,

I don't weld. I wish I could - maybe someday.

One of the guys in our paint shop is starting a side business of welding at home & is keeping the price down for us.

Don't forget that Joe Darlington (Darlington Offroad - I think) offers them too & prolly has a much quicker turn around time than I do since I only have 1 set of spare brackets for modifying. Welder guy turns them around in about a week but then we have to wait for the recipient to get their OEMs back to me for the next set. I should be picking up one more set from Lisa next Jan so that should help.

Tom

BTW, $200 includes the crossmember drop brackets but you need to get your own bolts.