Thread: Bump Steer

Bump Steer

Several members in the past have mentioned severe bump steer (vehicle jumps to the side when encountering a significant bump at speed).

Several members in the past have indicated that their rear axle is shifted to the right (due to lift or for any other reason).

Question: If you experience bump steer with your VX, is your rear axle shifted?

Mine is not shifted and I don't experience bump steer. I'm just trying to figure out if a panhard rod drop shakle will help with this problem.

Tom

PS - how do you set up voting in this here poll???
    Last edited by tom4bren : 11/10/2008 at 02:44 PM
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

The entrance to my datacenter has a severe crest where the gutter meets the pavement. My not-lowered Subaru sedan scrapes underparts when I try to go over it.

I went over it in the VX a little too fast and I swear I almost tipped it over!! The front was fine, but the back leapt up and I probably ended up turned 30 degrees when I landed.

So, yeah. There's a problem there.

Now, just eyeballing the VX Butt, I don't see anything off-center -- not at all like some of the pictures I've seen of lifted ones, at least. Any idea what I could measure from?

Lifted and exp the bump jump.

My VX is still stock, not sure if the axel is shifted

I wouldn't say I experience bump steer... but when I catch some air flying over a certain set of railroad tracks, the rear end might jump up to 5 degrees on the rebound.

PS: To post a poll, check the box you see in this picture

You know, I have never experienced any of this on road, but off road, when hauling tail over a dirt road that has lots of "ribs" from being washed out, my rear end will shift back and forth all over the place.

I was talking to a friend about this, and he thinks it is because we have such stiff coils in the rear. Basically, we are bouncing off the ground. If we had mushyier (is that a word?) springs, or leafs back there, out rear tires would essentially cling to the ground better, instead of catching air all the time. I don't know if he was right, but it sounds good.

I do not think the lift makes a difference, I had this problem lifted and not lifted, and in fact, I think it was worse when I was still stock. I can recall a specific moment on a dirt road was before I lifted where I almost went into the ditch because of this...

Bart

It has a little to do with the short wheel base too.. I drove over a steel bridge in oakland once that caused it to kinda porpoise sideways over the bridge

Bart,

Yes, short wheelbase vehicles HATE washboard. Mushier springs will help some but will not solve the problem.

The bump steer I'm talking about is a single bump at speed that some have mentioned is bad enough to cause an inadvertent lane change.

Thmstec,

Thanks for the tip. Judging by the responses, it doesn't look like I need to start a poll on this thread but I'll try to 'member for the next time.

I'll have 'Welder Guy' fab up a prototype to try out on CSTYLES' VX since he has both symptoms. I'll let you know how it goes.

Tom

Look at Baja trucks. They're so soft, they are difficult to drive on anything other than straight pavement. Isuzu realized these things would spend %90 of their life on pavement and built accordingly. I'd hate to soften this thing up.

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Bart,

Yes, short wheelbase vehicles HATE washboard. Mushier springs will help some but will not solve the problem.

The bump steer I'm talking about is a single bump at speed that some have mentioned is bad enough to cause an inadvertent lane change.
    Tom
    Well, then I can safely say I have never experienced what you are talking about. It sounds scary.

Bart

I experience this on a daily basis. But I have to say It scared the snot outa my nose the first time it happened.

There is a crease between the off ramp and the bridge where I exit the freeway everyday and if I get the green light, I’m coming in at least 45mph and hit the bump mid way in the turn; my back end always pops up and shifts to the right throwing off my "line" of driving. But I’m so used to it now that I already know how to compensate for the bump. I’ve got the Rancho 9000xl installed and set to number 9 and sitting in the stock stance btw. Setting it any lower I float around like a semi truck cab sitting on springs or something…
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

--
    Last edited by vxcp : 11/20/2013 at 06:46 PM Reason: starting a new topic in troubleshooting

when i hit a bump on certain roads my vx pulls to the right and sometimes i have to hold the steering wheel at about a 15 degree angle for the yellow gremlin to go straight - it did not do this before i bent the inner passenger tie rod end - going to try to replace it this weekend and have it aligned and see if that fixes it

how do i know if my rear axle shifted?.

and wtf is a panhard rod drop shakle? (other than a kick *** name for a rock band)