Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: replacing the ABS module

yea you get some air into the system by disconnecting the abs module.. i dont know that its 100% necessary.. but its a pretty easy process and needs to be done as regular preventative maintenance every couple years anyway so might as well (i bought 48oz of brake fluid.. maybe used 32oz of it.. and it only cost me 10 bucks)

i dont really feel much difference during daily driving, i did take it down some gravel roads and gave the abs a good workout.. its definitely a different feel when stopping on loose pack (snow, wet leaves, gravel) felt a little slower there.. but more controlled.. but my normal commute to work.. theres surprisingly little difference in how it feels

Good write up Eric. Now I'm not clueless.

I can convert your writeup to pdf & post it to the How2 section for you if you wish.

Tom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    i dont really feel much difference during daily driving, i did take it down some gravel roads and gave the abs a good workout.. its definitely a different feel when stopping on loose pack (snow, wet leaves, gravel) felt a little slower there.. but more controlled.. but my normal commute to work.. theres surprisingly little difference in how it feels
    For a few months before my ABS went out, I could feel it engage when I started the VX up. Basically, I would fire up, back out of the garage and then put the VX in DRIVE. As my foot came off the brake pedal and I began to move forward, I would feel the brake pedal pulse against my foot. After the module croaked this went away. Also, when stopping in loose terrain, the pedal would pulse and kick back at me, which I did not like at all.

Bart

yea i now have the kicking back in loose terrain.. not sure about the going from reverse to park.. i was parallel parking daily when my abs unit was going bad.. and even now i drive up a hill.. shove it in neutral and back into my spot at work i park as far away from everyone as possible.. so pretty much dont ever use reverse

tom yea i was hoping you would PDF that for me.. just give it a couple days so i can make revisions to it if necessary

ps i found that CD i made for you from the shenandoah meet while looking for my wheel lock key.. ill get that in the mail soon

Eric,

I'll be in Essington this weekend for my God Daughter's baptism. I can swing by & pick up the CD if you like (another quick trip tho - arrive late Fri nite & head home Sunday afternoon (6am flight on Monday morn)).

I'll go ahead & start building the Word file for the ABS fix & then just cut in corrections before I convert to pdf.

Tom

I've spent my time bleeding brakes... Here's my hints:

1) Consider using a different color of brake fluid. In addition to standard clear, fluids are available in blue, red, and yellow, although I can only find "Super Blue". This helps first of all in identifying puddles in your garage. Secondly, it is easy to tell when you're done bleeding when the color of fluid coming out of the bleeder changes color.

2) As someone mentioned, grab a vacuum pump. Consider This or this. Either one will make bleeding a one-person job, but KEEP AN EYE ON THE RESERVOIR!

Quote Originally Posted by tom4bren View Post
    Eric,

I'll be in Essington this weekend for my God Daughter's baptism. I can swing by & pick up the CD if you like (another quick trip tho - arrive late Fri nite & head home Sunday afternoon (6am flight on Monday morn)).

I'll go ahead & start building the Word file for the ABS fix & then just cut in corrections before I convert to pdf.

Tom
    cool if you want to do that its fine by me.. ill be in media on saturday from 630am - 3pm at work.. i could probably meet you down towards essington after that, or if you could steal away for an evening i could show ya a few of my "local" (30 mins from essington) watering holes.. sure i could get at least 1 more vxer if youve got time

"tom yea i was hoping you would PDF that for me"

Done.

Moncha will have to moderate before it shows in the How2 section.

Tom

Prolly won't have time for any 'watering holes' this trip. Hafta go downtown to pick up neice & MIL, then into Jersey for dinner with family.

well had my first "oh %@&!" moment since changing the abs.. you know the story.. dark road.. rain.. deer.. i slam on my brakes.. feel like im not stopping fast enough.. but before i realized it i had stopped short of where i thought i would.. and the VW golf behind me was unable to stop in time but managed to veer off to the grass shoulder to avoid me.. i got out to check on the driver.. he just simply said "your car stopped faster than mine could"

so while they dont FEEL as though they are working as well.. it would appear they are

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post
    the VW golf behind me was unable to stop in time
    A VW that can't stop as fast as a 4000 lb SUV?!? THAT'S the best test, Eric!

Some brake fluid facts & points to consider:

Brake fluid absorbs moisture if it gets the opportunity, and this makes it less effective. It's good to flush your fluid periodically. Many people use the colored fluids mentioned above to know when they have fully flushed each line. A helper is invaluable. There are also check-valve nipples you can use which allow you to pump the pedal yourself without a helper, but they have been known to fail. Easier to enlist a friend...

Any time the brake fluid system is opened (e.g, replacement of ABS module), air can and will get into the lines. As pressure is applied to the hydraulic lines during braking, the air bubble in the line compresses instead of your brake caliper, and you get no braking.

Replacing fluid will not necessarily change the feel of the brakes, unless you had an air bubble or a lot of moisture in the fluid. If you want a stiffer brake pedal, which just feels better and safer, you need to replace the rubber brake lines (from the end of the metal pipes to the calipers) with stainless steel brake lines, which do not stretch as much under pressure like rubber lines do and give the pedal a firmer, more responsive feel. It will not change your braking distance, though - that's still function of pads, calipers, and tires, not brake lines.

The pdf version of Eric's write up is in the download section. I'll see if Moncha will move it over to the How2 section.

Tom