Thread: Please help any ideas?

Please help any ideas?

Hey there
    I am a big VX fan and I’ve been looking for one in Minnesota for a while and I just found one: 1999 black with 77k but I am a little concern because the front shocks are leaking pretty bad, and this thing bounces all over (because of the front shocks). The rear shocks are good. Otherwise it is pretty clean in and out. What else can I look at this car for sings of a lemon? Please help I am excited to get one thank you.
    Link : http://dealers2.autouplinkusa.com/v/...d=7746#gallery

first of all, welcome to the forum! i see this is your first post!

i am a new VX owner myself so i really don't have much advice for you as i'm still learing all about the vehicle. of course, i'd recommend running a vehicle fax report before you purchase just to check the history.

the guys/gals on this forum have been a wealth of information and i'm sure they'll have some great advice for you.

ps...did you check out the introduce yourself thread? you should take a peek at it! it'll give you a chance to tell everyone a little about yourself and meet the family!

good luck with your purchase!

Quote Originally Posted by vcrossmn View Post
    I am a little concern because the front shocks are leaking pretty bad, and this thing bounces all over (because of the front shocks).
    The VX's short wheelbase means that it bounces around quite a bit anyway. Replacing the shocks with factory shocks might break the bank, though. Other than that, I would check on the usual weak spots:

Not killers, but good for haggling:
    Windows: Make sure both windows roll up and down relatively well.
    CD Changer: Make sure it changes across the whole stack.
    ABS: Make sure the ABS light isn't on. $3000 in repairs!!
    Transmission Switch: While shifting through the ranges, watch the PRNDRL display for flickering.
    EGR Tube: If clogged, the VX will drink oil. I don't know how to test this at a dealer, though.

Worse:
    Engine: I don't know how you can test for this without hacking the engine open, but the VX should NEVER be run out of oil.

For what it is worth, mine showed all the problems of the 'not killers' list, if not immediately, eventually. But I'm still glad I bought it. The VX is quirky, but unless the engine has been run without oil, I can't think of too many lemony possibilities.

Many of us have replaced the OEM shocks with Rancho 9000's. Of course, climb under and take a look at the CV joints, make sure the rubber boots are intact and you don't see any leaks or weeps anywhere else. Drive it slowly and go full lock on the steering wheel, if you hear anything bad, walk away. Also engage the transfer case, all TOD lights should light. Find a dirt road and hammer it, see if the TOD system is working as advertised. This will be indicated by the TOD lights coming on progressively. Do this in the normal range. The items mdwyer mentioned are known problems. The windows tilting as they come up, Easy fix with the brackets user SBC has made for us but something you can deal on. The cd changer has a problem handling more then 3 cd's. Most of us have replaced the sound system with a up market deck and used one of the spaces for anything from storage to video/gps units. Also know, that if this one doesn't work out, others are popping up on the market often. Just check here, ebay, auto trader and auto extra dot com's. Good luck and welcome to the addiction.
    Last edited by rowhard : 11/02/2008 at 08:35 AM
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Thanks Guys and Girls

I really appreciate this commens
    I will check it out tomorrow.
    Last questions, so with the TOD I notice the 4L worked find but wen I was in normal mode the lights were led in the rear whells and the first couple lights on the dash then turn to automatic is this normal?

The rear wheels lights will stay on all the time. The front lights change depending on traction conditions.

Here's a little history lesson. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSkacZvcB7Q
    I need to remake part one, it’s a little hard to listen to. Part two is fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by vcrossmn View Post
    Last questions, so with the TOD I notice the 4L worked find but wen I was in normal mode the lights were led in the rear whells and the first couple lights on the dash then turn to automatic is this normal?
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.