Thread: Any one have a good grasp on Sat Radio in the new cars?

Question Any one have a good grasp on Sat Radio in the new cars?

I'm going to buy a new car for my wife and it has 6 months free Sirius Sat Radio.

I ultimately want to get a US subscription, not Canadian. I'm afraid that the dealer will activate a Canadian subscription for the free 6 months and i'll then have a hard time switching it to a US subscription.

So does anyone know if the dealer "activates" the sat radio or lets the new owner do it? Or does it come from the factory activated? I'd rather just not activate the free trial period and go right into a US account sub...

Any thoughts?

As a side rant for some of my reasoning: It's technically illegal for me to subscribe to US Sat TV or a US Sat Radio, since I'd then be listening to a non-government controlled media. TRUE! A Canadian must subscribe to Canadian broadcasting with a healthy dose of french language and Canadian artists/content - "to preserve our culture..." Fascist pigs.
    We have another weird law up here that I can't use an iTunes prepaid card to buy iPhone apps or games. I have to use my credit card to buy a $0.99 app. It's part of some software piracy laws that want to track purchases through valid ID's. Fascist pigs.
    :END RANT.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    I'm going to buy a new car for my wife and it has 6 months free Sirius Sat Radio.

I ultimately want to get a US subscription, not Canadian. I'm afraid that the dealer will activate a Canadian subscription for the free 6 months and i'll then have a hard time switching it to a US subscription.

So does anyone know if the dealer "activates" the sat radio or lets the new owner do it? Or does it come from the factory activated? I'd rather just not activate the free trial period and go right into a US account sub...

Any thoughts?

As a side rant for some of my reasoning: It's technically illegal for me to subscribe to US Sat TV or a US Sat Radio, since I'd then be listening to a non-government controlled media. TRUE! A Canadian must subscribe to Canadian broadcasting with a healthy dose of french language and Canadian artists/content - "to preserve our culture..." Fascist pigs.
    We have another weird law up here that I can't use an iTunes prepaid card to buy iPhone apps or games. I have to use my credit card to buy a $0.99 app. It's part of some software piracy laws that want to track purchases through valid ID's. Fascist pigs.
    :END RANT.
    ok...not 100 percent positive but im pretty sure that its activated from the dealership...my only advise would be to see if they can call sirius and get a 6 month credit instead....

maybe tell them that your not planning on driving the new car all that much because of winter, but next summer you are going to be doing a lot of driving so you would like to take advantage of the free subscription at that point?

sirius makes a prepaid card type of thing...maybe they could send one of those....

that way you could order your programming and use the prepaid card at that point....
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden