View Poll Results: has your abs pump/module made your abs light come on?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

110 71.90%
  • no

43 28.10%
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: question and poll regarding abs module

question and poll regarding abs module

I got my second abs module in the mail today and have a question do i have to replace the whole unit or just the plastic part with the connector? can it be seperated? If so does this mean i dont have to bleed the brakes?

Just trying to get around the 125 price tag mechanics want ( i dont know how to bleed brakes )

thanks

also just curious how many people have had this problem. maby we can get a recall. just seems crazy that this will be the second one i replaced in 4 years. that would have cost me 6,000 if i went to the dealer

Theres a couple of torx screws that will allow you to pull the solenoid assy from the valve body. I would do it that way first. I'm assuming that the coils burn out over time, and the computer senses this.

Bleeding the brakes is easy if you have a helper. I'll give you the info if needed.

John C.

so I could just remove the torx screws? should i expect anything to pop out or spring out, fall out, or leak out ( is there any fluid in this part?)i dont want to loose anything and then just screw the new one one with out bleeding the system?

I talked about this once before, guess when Dino, aka Bandit was on the board. So will say it again, so,

insert 2 cents

The ABS module ain't much more then a shuttle valve, and if you don't lock them brakes up and use that shuttle valve, it does nothing but sit there and rust up since brake fluid is a big sponge for water.

When ever it rains or snows, I lock um up and get that valve jump'in and I ain't had any problem at all with my VX or other ABS equip't vehicles. I try and do this at least once a month.

remove 2 cents
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Undo the electrical connections, pull the screws, and the coils half can be removed from the valve body.

You can even drive with it off.

John C.

hey, this sounds encouraging, if I don't have to fool with bleeding the brakes then I may try this
    First I need to get the ABS module
    Thanks for the input on ABS Rowhard, never thought I would consider intentionally engaging the ABS but I guess you're right, weird that I've got my 98 A4 (160k) with ABS and never had an issue and never engaged ABS, if anything, I think I have used ABS once or twice when I got the VX as the thing was so stinking heavy compared to what I had been driving, oh well, it's in need of replacement now regardless....

Ok i got the new abs module and can take off the plastic part but on the one in my car its right up against the fender . I am guessing i cant bend the pipes to get the unit streight so does anyone know of a tool that would get into the tight space to unscrew those star screws?

Ok I finally took of the plastic computer part of the abs pump ( after 3 days of trying to get a tool for the bottom left screw i just said screw it and broke it off) and installed only the plastic computer part - the screw on the bottem , took of the battery termal to reset the code ( not sure if this actually does anything) and after a day of driving NO MORE ABS LIGHT this way i dont have to bleed the system

So I have a used ABS Module and wanted to do the same thing, remove plastic side and not bleed brakes. How has this worked for you since you did swap.

bleeding the brakes is so easy though.. its a routine scheduled maintenance that should be done every 2 years anyway.. i could easily replace the abs module and bleed all the brakes in under an hour.. or if you dont want to do it yourself, having the brakes bled at a shop should only be like 35-40 bucks imho its worth it to do it or have it done

Brake bleeding is super easy if you get brake bleeders (see Rickshaws gallery). They are easy to install and allow 1 person to do the job easily.

Another way of activating the ABS is off roading. When going down loose rocky/sandy hills with your brakes on you will feel the ABS working!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I replaced my ABS Module last month. It was very easy following etlsport's ABS Module Replacement (How To)
    Along with Speed Bleeders, took about an hour to do.

Speed Bleeders
    SB7100 M7 x 1.0
    speedbleeder.com
    rickshaw
    Original Owner
    2001 Dragon #0467

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by VXNIT View Post
    So I have a used ABS Module and wanted to do the same thing, remove plastic side and not bleed brakes. How has this worked for you since you did swap.
    been months now and no problems

ABS Module

What are you guys paying for the replacement module? And where are you getting them? Thanks in advance.

i paid 100 for mine.. found a parted vx and bought it from the owner.. it is also identical to the one found in either a trooper or rodeo with 4 wheel discs, just cant remember which year/model