View Poll Results: has your abs pump/module made your abs light come on?

Voters
153. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

110 71.90%
  • no

43 28.10%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: question and poll regarding abs module

Quote Originally Posted by swift16 View Post
    What are you guys paying for the replacement module? And where are you getting them? Thanks in advance.
    Hey Frank (swift16),
    I got mine here
    Mine was from a 2001 4x4 Trooper. Paid around $130. The part number was the exactly the same 8971621921.

Frank, when are we going to do Cars & Coffee
    Gene
    Last edited by rickshaw : 07/17/2009 at 05:59 AM
    rickshaw
    Original Owner
    2001 Dragon #0467

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Just got my VX last week and my ABS is going out. Other than not having ABS, is there any other reason to replace the module? Will it cause any damage to other engine parts? I'll probably fix it eventually regardless if I can get one for $130 <-thats a good deal.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    Just got my VX last week and my ABS is going out. Other than not having ABS, is there any other reason to replace the module? Will it cause any damage to other engine parts? I'll probably fix it eventually regardless if I can get one for $130 <-thats a good deal.

Jon
    Hi jon.

No,it cause no issue to the engine or drive train.

I think many members just get the ABS off drive without it
    Dakar was just the begining.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU
    Okay, thats what I thought. I will let it stay broken for the time being. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gussie2000 View Post
    Hi jon.

No,it cause no issue to the engine or drive train.

I think many members just get the ABS off drive without it
    Last edited by VXorado : 07/18/2009 at 07:35 PM Reason: quote broken

yep, i drove around without my ABS for over a year, even passed MD inspection with it broken

Anyone remember Torx size on ABS side plastic piece neede to just remove the half?

Cannot get torx out due to limited space to just replace electrical side any suggestions

iirc the only way anyone was able to remove the electrical side of it without removing it from the VX was to break the bottom mounting tabs off.. seriously.. its easier to just replace the whole thing and bleed the brakes

I am sure I will get flamed for this, but I know there are some other VXers that run with the ABS fuse pulled. ABS is not really needed. Mine only activated when I am wheeling and brake on a loose surface, just feather the brakes, problem goes away. I am not a big fan of ABS in general. Mine currently works, but if it fails, that fuse goes bye bye.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
    Thomas Jefferson

Can you really do without ABS??

I have heard a lot of people say that they don't need ABS.

I would like to relate my experience -

A few years ago my son and I attended an Advance Sport driving day.
    The day was held at a race track, 8 students, 4 small Alfa Romeos, 4 x experienced racing car drivers as instructors.
    We were taught all types of braking techniques including ABS, cadance braking, feathering, and hand brake use for turns etc.
    The Alfa's were set up with a dashboard switch that turned on / off the ABS.
    A section of track was wet down and we all tried emergency stops from 50MPH with different techniques we had been taught. After trying in the Alfa's, we also tried in our own cars.

No one, including the race car drivers, could stop in less distance without ABS, as they could with ABS.
    The different techniques we had learnt certainly made a difference, but the closest anyone got to an ABS stop (without using ABS) was about 2 car lengths.
    By all means, drive your vehicle without ABS if you want to, but don't think you can stop as quick. It just ain't gonna happen.

Just thought it worth mentioning.

Of course Marlin doesn't need to stop any more, he can just crash right through.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    I am sure I will get flamed for this, but I know there are some other VXers that run with the ABS fuse pulled. ABS is not really needed. Mine only activated when I am wheeling and brake on a loose surface, just feather the brakes, problem goes away. I am not a big fan of ABS in general. Mine currently works, but if it fails, that fuse goes bye bye.
    I agree Marlin, but what benefit is there to pull the fuse? The light will remain on with fuse pulled wont it? I didnt have ABS in the other VX and I dont in the current VX, just want to get the light to go off so inspection is not an issue.
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Quote Originally Posted by VX crazy View Post
    ...just want to get the light to go off so inspection is not an issue.
    Lisa, it's so easy and just takes a few minutes to do-
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12016

Open hood, remove ABS module connector, bend over the #16 pin, replace connector, close hood. Two to three minutes tops.

Say goodbye to ABS forever.

Mark Griffin

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Thank you!! I too have no intention of fixing it whatever IT is.....

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    Even though I have the parts to fix my ABS I wont. I have had several extremely close calls when it was working. Slammed down on the brakes and it just kept on going and going, stopping just inches from the car in front of me.

Since it stopped working I have never had a close call... my stops have been quicker and in control. Maybe that is just my experience but I would never restore the ABS function while I posess my truck.
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

Anita, I agree 100%. That is the worst feeling when you hit the brakes and keep going 'cuz the ABS won't let you stop. Lots of other 'Zu owners over at the Planet have the same complaints. This Isuzu ABS system is too sensitive! If you think it's bad on pavement, try it on snow sometime. Holy crap! Very scary stuff.

All the new VX owners should test their ABS on a couple surfaces to see how sensitive it is on their VX so they don't get a big surprise when they need to stop quick. If I buy another ABS vehicle, I'll check it out right away and if it's too sensitive it'll get disabled immediately. Word.

Mark Griffin
    Last edited by deermagnet : 10/28/2009 at 05:27 PM