Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: need vx for comparison of shocks

Rancho RS5000's installed (need vx for comparison of shocks)

im considering changing the rear shocks on the vx. although its really hard for me to tell if they are worn. it rides really rough on bumpy roads and freeways. although it doesnt undulate like an older car would with a blown shock. if i have the rear door open and jump bounce the rear it wont keep bouncing either. but again the ride it far rougher than i would think it should be. ive been in sports cars with very harsh suspension and its very close to that.

a perfect example for those in the area. 880 north from fruitvale to 5th st, 2nd lane, the vx's rear doesnt absorb any of the road imperfections. it doesnt bounce but almost goes up and down like it is directly connected to the frame.

i bought the vx used with 90k miles on it, now 115k, a couple years back and it still has the oem shocks. so im asking if anyone local to the ca bay area, east bay preferred, wouldn't mind me driving or even sitting in your vx for a comparison.

pm me. thx.
    Last edited by garfull : 10/13/2008 at 06:46 PM

Sounds like you have perfectly good shocks. The VX is a sportscar trapped in an SUV's body.
    ________
    Lovely Wendie99
    Last edited by phines : 05/02/2011 at 02:16 PM

Your tires can have a huge impact on ride quality. It's usually a trade for performance .vs. ride. Try to air down slightly to see if it helps. Of course this is a trade off as well. Airing down will sacrifice mpg & tire wear. If airing down helps then the next time you buy new skins, look for something with a softer sidewall.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

yeah ive got the tire pressure just right so that the ride is bearable and the mpgs doesnt go too far down. it was the first thing i did when i got the vx.

ive recently had lower back problems so the rough ride is not good. with winter around the corner i want to make sure the long 3 hr drives to tahoe are as comfortable as i can make it.

Quote Originally Posted by garfull View Post
    yeah ive got the tire pressure just right so that the ride is bearable and the mpgs doesnt go too far down. it was the first thing i did when i got the vx.

ive recently had lower back problems so the rough ride is not good. with winter around the corner i want to make sure the long 3 hr drives to tahoe are as comfortable as i can make it.

When you come to Tahoe, let use Reno boys know, maybe we can meet up.

Bart

Your shocks are bad.

You can easily tell by removing one from the lower mount. You'll see it no longer has any gas charge.

Shocks don't last 100k miles. Even less in a short wheelbase truck with lots of polar weight.

John C.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotsauce View Post
    Your shocks are bad.

You can easily tell by removing one from the lower mount. You'll see it no longer has any gas charge.

Shocks don't last 100k miles. Even less in a short wheelbase truck with lots of polar weight.

John C.
    Really??? I haven't noticed any change in mine after 130k+ miles. I've slammed the heck out of them too with all the jumping I've done. Maybe I just got lucky...
    ________
    VOLCANO VAPORIZER
    Last edited by phines : 05/02/2011 at 02:16 PM

I should note that I DID wear out the rear springs, but they were aftermarket springs that I got from Calmini.
    ________
    LovelyWendie99
    Last edited by phines : 05/02/2011 at 02:17 PM

guess ill just have to bring it to a shop and ask them to put it on the lift of jack up the rear so i can take the shock off.

bart ill be sure to let you know when im in the reno area.

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    You don't need to bring it to a shop. You can remove one rear tire, lift that corner with a jack, and remove the bottom bolt of the shock to check it. 2 hrs in the driveway on Saturday...

Shocks

My factory shocks had no charge left at 133k and the VX bounced around like an "E" ticket ride. Replaced them with Rancho 9000XL, set them to 7, and all is OK. I am going to try setting 9 and see if I can feel the difference. Tires are next as I bought it with snow tires 245/70-16. Bumping up to 265/70-16 BFG's or Geolander AT's.
    Larry S.
    99 Astral Silver VX (176k)
    91 Porsche 928 S4 (73k)

went underneath the vx earlier on a creeper. i just barely slid underneath. wanted to see if i could remove the lower shock mount w/o jacking up the rear(i dont have a large floor jack). ends up i cant remove the shock from just removing the lower bolt. no way i could do this myself. also the hardware is corroded from going to the snow so i doubt i could break loose any of the nuts with my tools.

i decided to go to the local 4 wheel parts, it was less than 10 mins away. after about 15 mins of chatting i decided to go with the Rancho 9500 shocks. The 9000 series wouldve been nice but cost twice as much and prob more than i needed.

thanks for all the advise.
    Last edited by garfull : 10/05/2008 at 09:33 AM

Shocks

I was able to get mine off the bottom pin first,then slide them down. Yes, it takes a little uumph but managed. It did notice my right rear bottom pin was built up with rust after removing the original shock so I had to clean-up the pin, grease it, then install the new shocks. Oh yeah, I did have a "lift" at work to do it so was able to get more leverage then a creeper!!

Well I got the Rancho RS9500 installed today. Once the mechanic took the oem shocks off. I compared the two sets. The oems are much Much MUCH stiffer than the Ranchos. The oems have a positive pressure that wants to keep them fully extended where as the Ranchos are just plain oil filled dampers. I did accomplish getting a softer rear end but at the same time making the front end too plush where it'll dive more than before. Heinsight perhaps I should've forked up the extra cash for the 9500's or Bilsteins.

Does anyone know what the fatique life of the front torsions bars are? I'm curious to know if the extra motion of the front end is going decrease the life of the torsion bars.

Front shocks were hard as rocks. I was barely able to use all of my 155lbs body to compress it more than 1 inch at most. When it did compress it was quite slow to extend back.

Rear shocks, passenger side still good take alot to compress but extends out really quickly. However driver side wont extend any further than shown and compression is very hard. One thing I did notice was the driver side shock was still warm when it was removed from being next to the exhaust. Perhaps that had an effect on the life of the shock.

Side by side. My VX has about 120K miles.
    Last edited by garfull : 10/13/2008 at 06:53 PM

If you are interested in selling your old OEM's I call first dibs, if you don't mind.....