Thread: Now we're talkin!

Now we're talkin!

Maybe I will find myself in a Jeep someday after all!

I'm not yet sure how legit this all is, but it sure sounds mighty good.

https://www.chryslerllc.com/en/innov...p_vehicles.php

Bart

It takes me 40 miles to get a good triail here in AZ. Then Im back to gas... It would be nice to remove the roof and door off the VX just like a jeep.

SWEET! Yea,maybe I should wait awhile and see what's coming out before I buy anything.I want no car payments right now anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    Maybe I'll post some pics if I get further along...
    Yes, please do. Sounds like you got some serious thought into this...

Bart

Zeus,

Your concept is frightening similar to the platform that we are building sensors for.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...d/fcs-mule.htm

The website is very outdated but you can get the jist of it. It even uses TWEELS on 2 of the variants. It's hybrid diesel/electric & there is a motor at each of the wheels.

Tom
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Awesome! Nice 3d cad work.
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

I was going to try and make a VX in Maya, but I’m just not that good.

I had a feeling he might. Wormgod I beg of you, post the model!

After the Big 3 go down, I'll be on my way to becoming the Big 0!!!

Dont worry Zeus to us you will always be a the Big 0:bwgr::bgwp:

Sorry Zeus, I lost track of this thread and never answered your question.

I believe that the reticulating suspension arms are electric but I'm not sure. I'll see if I can find out. I attended a platform review recently but can't find the briefing slides right now.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS View Post
    The idea of having a motor in each one of the wheels is thrilling. Aside from the batteries, the weight is right where you need it for traction! Speaking of traction, the motors would act as traction control devices and brakes.
    For what it is worth, putting the motors in the wheels would increase the unsprung weight, which might make it a little exciting at higher speeds. *shrug* I don't know, though -- That's not where my expertise hides.

Did you also notice that without an axle and transfer case that a wheel-motor vehicle would have insane ground clearance??

The MULE has a requirement to climb over a Jersey Barrier (I've seen the video - impressive).

Same Idea, different app.

I was thinking about the same idea, put the motor in each wheel, that way there is no loss in getting the power to the wheels. I had someone else talk about the unsprung weight, but I don't understand how this is a bad thing. The body will still have the secondary power system and the batteries.

My idea is an electric vehicle that would win the automotive equivalent to the X-prize. I think it is $300m to the maker of a car that gets better than 100mpg. My idea is a hybrid that has the capability of recovering the energy we loose in breaking. (Dynamic breaks, with the motors in the wheels the breaking energy is turned back into electricy rather than heat.) Put what the batteries will take in charge back to them, the rest store in a short term device. (super uber-capacitors or a flywheel system like they have for really big ups's) Then upon starting, the energy is taken from the short term devices then the batteries. Or, if at rest, the short term devices continue to charge the batteries at their given rate.

Why is unsprung weight a bad thing? If you are talking cornering, that is as much a function of the friction coefficient of the tires. I thought it'd make the ride better and the suspension lighter. This is NOT an OffRoad thing, this is a get my but to work to earn money (while saving gas) to do what I want vehicle.

By the way, I'm not REALLY a car person, as much as am an electronics nut. ( In gu neers, thay can't spel but you got to luv us anywhey!)

D.W.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkWing View Post
    My idea is an electric vehicle that would win the automotive equivalent to the X-prize. I think it is $300m to the maker of a car that gets better than 100mpg. My idea is a hybrid that has the capability of recovering the energy we loose in breaking. (Dynamic breaks, with the motors in the wheels the breaking energy is turned back into electricy rather than heat.) Put what the batteries will take in charge back to them, the rest store in a short term device. (super uber-capacitors or a flywheel system like they have for really big ups's) Then upon starting, the energy is taken from the short term devices then the batteries. Or, if at rest, the short term devices continue to charge the batteries at their given rate.
    You might read up on the TransTeq busses. They're not sexy by most peoples' estimation, but they're an excellent example of hybrid done right. They use an engine smaller than a Prius's to move a fully loaded bus. They charge batteries using the natural gas engine, then drive wheels with electric motors.

They do the clearance thing backwards -- not having an axle allows them to be really low to the ground -- so you can roll right on one with a wheel chair. Then, every time the bus brakes, it dumps the energy back in the battery.

I might be the only one who thinks so, and maybe it is because they're a local company, but I think they're really cool... for a bus.