Thread: How do I remove & replace an ignition coil?

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal

How do I remove & replace an ignition coil?

Hi all,

After power-washing my engine bay a couple of weeks ago, I developed an intermittent rough running condition, which ended up throwing Check Engine code P0302 (#2 cylinder misfire) twice. I figured I got some moisture in or under the #2 cylinder coil and it is shorting out or something. I ordered a new coil pack from Autozone ($95), which I will try to install tonight. The VX is not at home - it's at a "remote" garage - so I want to make sure I bring every tool and material I might need for the job with me.

What do I need to do to remove the old coil and replace it with the new one?

I saw that there are some Philips-head screws holding it on, but other than that, what tools might I need? And should I pull the spark plug while I'm at it?

Thanks!!

that's it, just the #2 phillips screwdriver, and a small flat tip one to help get the connector off of the pack. Be sure to use some boot grease inside of the end that slides over the spark plug so that it will slide off the next time you need to remove it.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Thanks Rowhard!

I had that same problem after pressure washing the oil off my motor. ( long story involving a midget and forgetting to put the oil cap back on when in a hurry.) Anyway,, just pulled the coil and plug, dried them off, reinstalled and good as new.

isn't it better to use a 10mm socket - i found these screws to be very tight
    cheers
    Steve
    Isuzu Vehicross 3.2 V6 24 Valve

Good advice Steve - The screws were in fact very tight, and I stripped one a litle before switching to the socket.

JGeorge - as it turns out, my situation was quite similar. I pulled the original coil pack, dried things up a bit, and installed the new one. It was still stuttering and sputtering for the first couple of minutes, but then it settled back down to normal and drove home just fine. I don't think the problem was the coil - I think it was just moisture in the well.

I will try to swap the original back in and see what happens. It would be nice to have the original red coil back in there instead of the black Delco coil. :-)

Thanks again everyone!

Lightbulb

Long story short, I too had the coil misfire code non stop on Cyl. #2 from Moab to Denver. Kept clearing it with the Scangauge. Got to Denver, bought a new coil from NAPA for emergency use. Instead of putting in the new coil I swapped #1 and #2 to see if the problem followed the old coil. After the swap with a bit of cleaning, haven't seen a misfire code since then (over a year).

I agree, clean up the contacts before installing a new coil.

cheers.

Yea, it would be better to use a socket, espically if the bonehead before over torqued them