Thread: Grinding when reversed

Grinding when reversed

I only notice it in the morning but when I back out of the garage first thing in the AM there is a slight grinding for a short duration. Any idea? It is not the normal linkage noise.

Someone is putting a bag of potato chips behind your wheel each nite???

Actually it could be as simple as your brakes. The surface of the rotors may be getting a slight layer of rust over nite. If you put on the emergency brake every nite, try one nite with leaving it off to see if that may be the culprit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

No potato chips

I never put the EB on asI park it level in the garge every night. The zero % humidity here in the middle of the Mohave Desert makes me doubt rust. I was thinking differential as I just had the fluid changed or something with the rear axle seal as that was just done to on warranty

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    I never put the EB on asI park it level in the garge every night. The zero % humidity here in the middle of the Mohave Desert makes me doubt rust. I was thinking differential as I just had the fluid changed or something with the rear axle seal as that was just done to on warranty
    They may have forgot to add LSD additive when the rear axle was serviced.

Sorry, last 2 times I was in the desert it rained like a Mo Fo. Forgot how dry it usually is

It shouldn't be that difficult or costly to drain the rear pumpkin & replace the fluid (even tho it was just done). It's the obvious first step. I forget what the proper fluid is but I'm sure someone else will remember.

Thanks I have another appt

with them next Saturday. I will mention it. I would have hoped an Isuzu dealer would have gotten it right but you know the problems others here have had with dealers and the VX

Quote Originally Posted by circmand View Post
    with them next Saturday. I will mention it. I would have hoped an Isuzu dealer would have gotten it right but you know the problems others here have had with dealers and the VX
    One thing I've seen, (or not seen) there is no noticable marking of any kind to indicate that our rear axle is limited slip. (at least on mine)

I was under a 99 Trooper a week or so ago, & it was clearly marked on the rear axle..."use limited slip additive", or something to that effect.

Anyone else ever seen any limited slip tag or marking on their VX?

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    One thing I've seen, (or not seen) there is no noticable marking of any kind to indicate that our rear axle is limited slip. (at least on mine)

I was under a 99 Trooper a week or so ago, & it was clearly marked on the rear axle..."use limited slip additive", or something to that effect.

Anyone else ever seen any limited slip tag or marking on their VX?

just ran out and checked.. its there.. just not very noticable

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport View Post

just ran out and checked.. its there.. just not very noticable
    It just dawned on me why mine doesn't have one...my rear axle housing was replaced back in 04.

Nice pics...

VX rear differential

In two to three weeks time i'll be dropping my toy at the mech to have the engine knocking fix (valves or lifters could be the problem),i drove 6000 miles with that knocking & so far it has not cause any damage to the engine,the engine wotk perfectly,plus it give me a avegare of 19 MPG,but about two weeks ago i spotted a small leak from de the rear differential,so with that new issue i'll have all gear's lubricants change & lubed.

My clock shows 44,770 as today 28th I bought the VX at 38,647 miles.

From now on i'll only use amsoil motor oils,one of my co-workers is a indenpendent dealer so discounts is guarrantied from all they products

I went yesterday to a jeep/dodge/chrysler dealer to test drive one of those grand cherokee SRT-8 i've to admit that the damn truck is fast as the wind.

It's a 2006 with 32,456 miles were corporate leased.very clean in & out,but the dealer want to give me only four grands for my beloved VX (HE'S OUTTER HIS F....... MIND )

The sales guy admitted that the manager was fooling around,the facts is that they never heard about the VX before.When i walked in they didn't saw it because i parked across the street,but after that they were shocked,specially when they saw the recaro seats.the manager said : S...,looks awesome,how come our SRT's didn't came wit those leg extenders ?

The admitted that the VX was off the hook,then they ask me if i were allow them to test drive so i say go ahead,ten minutes after the were back & told me : damn this one is also fast for a 3.5L V6 ,the trading value is high though,the milage is very low,plus it's in excelent conditions,recently painted,clean in/out,upgraded audio sys & sunroof,we talking about 9,000 +.

Of course i have no intentions to get into a SRT yet,may be in two years time i can find one with the same mileage but 1000's less on the window because of the fast depretation of the jeep's vehicules
    Dakar was just the begining.